Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This is where that map came from, and includes source data for it.

There you go. Facts. Now you can provide your own facts to counter their findings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    That you have to work that many hours to afford a 1 bedroom apt by yourself.
    Welcome to google:

http://nlihc.org/sites/default/files..._2015_FULL.pdf

If you're too lazy to google the graph to find the methodology and the source material and data, why should I take your opinion, especially when it's disputing the findings with no data of your own, seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Im confirming the graphic. Was I misunderstood?
    You confirmed in a completely different post after you blatantly said 'you cannot afford to live off of minimum wage' with no further context so yes, when I responded you were completely off-point of the picture.

According to Politifact
    Minimum wage means most 2-bedroom apartments are out of reach...

---------------

2-bedrooms...hmf...

Quite frankly if you think you can afford to make it on minimum wage, then you're either stupid, still live at home (Mom's basement is still that), no experience with real life, or you're tapping "low income housing" which typically means a slum/ghetto that you would never set foot into but seem to imagine that can be part of the argument because it's good for "someone else" other than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Average rent in NJ for a 1 bedroom apartment is around $1,000 per month.

40 hours a week at $8.50 an hour will pay your rent, but no more. So 1 job at full time, for just a roof over your head. No food, no clothes, no travel, no medical expenses, no college, no cell phone. No internet access. Nothing.
    You would need to take advantage of section 8. The big issue in NJ and renting is all the apartments in areas that should make them more affordable, are scamming the government for money. They play this game where they jack up their rent prices and the government covers it on Section 8. If you aren't actually on section 8 though the apartments still run you 1000+.

My last apartment cost me $1285 and it was in a shit hole complex. My cousin rents an apartment in a non-section 8 complex for $1000 and its actually nicer then where I was living, in a nicer town, with better schools.

My current apartment is $1485 but it's new construction, luxury with key code access cards, security, free gym, pool, etc... So at the end of the day it's not unreasonably priced.

10+ Year Old Account
    To start with, apartment rates aren't the same in every part of a state.
    Hell, there are apartments in my area near 800/mo for a one bedroom. AZ minimum wage is 8.05 an hour. This leaves ~483/mo for everything else.
    In the end a person will likely break even, but still be able to self-support (in my area).

The problem with charts like this is that they like to cherry pick shit to make their point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    According to Politifact
    Minimum wage means most 2-bedroom apartments are out of reach...

---------------

2-bedrooms...hmf...

Quite frankly if you think you can afford to make it on minimum wage, then you're either stupid, still live at home (Mom's basement is still that), no experience with real life, or you're tapping "low income housing" which typically means a slum/ghetto that you would never set foot into but seem to imagine that can be part of the argument because it's good for "someone else" other than you.
    The OP says 1 bedroom apartments though, not 2.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    I think the question of minimum wage is a regional one. It's impossible to compare a person who lives in a town of 3,000 to a person who lives in a city of 3,000,000. The costs are completely different. Sure, goods will be similarly priced, however the cost for living and transportation are completely different. How can the explanation for a federal minimum wage be "a living wage", when the cost to live is not the same everywhere in this country? It can't, in some places it's going to be subpar, in others it's going to go too far. So based on that, you have another example of a federal policy that can be better handled at a more local level, a level that can more accurately place the the policy for that area.
    It would be best for both rural (subsidized by SSDI, SS, Medicare disbursements, state disability programs) to have the same living wage as the highest in the country, so people wouldn't apply for disability in BFE pop. 3,000 town, and the people in the city can like with dignity. This whole "it's cheaper to live in the country" meme is tired out, US federal government subsidizes both the hospitable rural areas and inhospitable areas in spite of ideologies that think "we dun need no gubmint, keep yer hands off my medicare/ss/disability/grazing leases/crop subsidies/water subsidies check."
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Updated the op
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Okay so found the picture with some more detail, it is how many hours you'd have to work if to not have to use 30 % of your paycheck on your rent.

lol well that's a huge fucking aspect of that map that was left off lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Welcome to google:

http://nlihc.org/sites/default/files..._2015_FULL.pdf

If you're too lazy to google the graph to find the methodology and the source material and data, why should I take your opinion, especially when it's disputing the findings with no data of your own, seriously?
    Do you know how hard doing Google fu on a phone is?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I will say that if the person rents a room, not an apartment, but a room they can make it fine. If they had roommates in the apartment, they'd also be fine. Minimum wage isn't for a house and a white fence and your new iPhone and eating out every night...

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    You would need to take advantage of section 8. The big issue in NJ and renting is all the apartments in areas that should make them more affordable, are scamming the government for money. They play this game where they jack up their rent prices and the government covers it on Section 8. If you aren't actually on section 8 though the apartments still run you 1000+.

My last apartment cost me $1285 and it was in a shit hole complex. My cousin rents an apartment in a non-section 8 complex for $1000 and its actually nicer then where I was living, in a nicer town, with better schools.

My current apartment is $1485 but it's new construction, luxury with key code access cards, security, free gym, pool, etc... So at the end of the day it's not unreasonably priced.
    I too live in NJ.
    And your post looks accurate to me.

$1000/month for rent is crazy for what you get. And min wage isn't going to even get that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    My mother, in a town of 8,000 in Iowa is in the process of getting the home we grew up in, in condition to rent out. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom ranch with a finished basement. She is planning on putting it up for $600/mo (similarly priced to other rentals in the area).

Do you think that the minimum wage in that 8,000 person town in Iowa should be the same as the city you're talking about?
    No, not at all. Due to the range of cost of living from coast to coast a national minimum wage doesn't work. It absolutely needs to be gauged on a state by state basis.

NJ minimum wage legitimately needs to be around $15 an hour for someone to live on their own in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Somewhere in the mid west, not so much. It can likely be lower due to the lower cost of living.

The only thing I believe should be done on a national level, is to supervise each state to ensure their minimum wage keeps up with the cost of living with penalties to the states federal funding if they do not do so.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Buy yourself a van and live in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    lol well that's a huge fucking aspect of that map that was left off lol
    Yeah my first comment was that it was a bad map and that Bernie should feel bad

Which is kind of sad really, because the proper map is far better and still showcases somewhat of a problem.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2016-12-22 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post

Do single males with no kids qualify for section 8 in New Jersey?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in Chicago the cheapest apartment (1 bedroom) I can find that isn't a complete crap-hole, that is, something that is safe, without a rotting ceiling or missing heat or AC (basic needs) is at least $1200. At least. I can't find anything lower than that. If you want lower you have to move to something like East Garfield Park, where people are murdered on a daily basis in the middle of the street.

You can't survive on a $1200 a month rent on minimum wage.

It's pretty obvious nonsense for a number of reasons that have probably been pointed out already. The NY one is particularly stupid as it seems to be predicated heavily on an average that's weighted towards NYC without any of the relevant consideration for regional differences. The quoted hours figure there results in an income of ~$37K/year. Does anyone seriously mean to assert that they believe affording a one bedroom apartment in Buffalo or Rochester on $37K/year would be remotely challenging?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    That you have to work that many hours to afford a 1 bedroom apt by yourself.
    Then, I believe you're wrong, and need to stop being silly.