Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Megathread] Old School Runescape & Runescape *Current*

I just went back to Runescape (Playing Old School) and it crossed my mind to make a thread for it. I figured I would make a thread where those on here who are playing can chat.

So like I said I'm currently playing Oldschool Runescape because the current version has changed too much from the original IMO. Working to get all my stats to 45 and then going to do quests.

So what is everyone else doing and what version you playing.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Both are solid at this point, but I can't bring myself to grind all those stats again for Old, so I mostly just do holiday events.

RS is still as grind incarnate as ever but I still wind up playing it because I learned the magic of Windows split screen where you just drag one window to either side. To give them credit, they've improved the combat, interfaces, and graphics quite a bit in RS3. It just feels like due to the last one in particular updates take longer.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-12-24 at 04:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Both are solid at this point, but I can't bring myself to grind all those stats again for Old, so I mostly just do holiday events.

RS is still as grind incarnate as ever but I still wind up playing it because I learned the magic of Windows split screen where you just drag one window to either side. To give them credit, they've improved the combat, interfaces, and graphics quite a bit in RS3. It just feels like due to the last one in particular updates take longer.
    Ya both are still a grind hell but at lease with RS3 there is ways to lower the grind.

I wish I could transfer my Rs3 character to OSRS so I didn't have to start over. But at the same time its kinda nice to be like "Oh I can't wait to use rune gear finally" lol.

And ya I got it windowed to where I watch a stream while I level something on the same screen. 40inch Tv FTW.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Music is good. Questing in RS3 is by far the best and most unique questing experience in any MMO. There's just a ton of content to do. It has boss encounters, but realistically once you have the recommended stats and gear they are nowhere near the complexity of modern raiding.

My only real complaint with Runescape is the treasure hunter system. I don't like useful rewards being available to those who decide to spend extra money on the game. A subscription is perfectly ethical; this treasure hunter is not. Also there is a fair amount of botting, though probably around the same level as WoW.

Question:

When you say Old School RuneScape are you talking about 2D RuneScape or 3D RuneScape?

Because to me it's the former...and that old 2D one will always hold a special place for me. It was my poormans Ultima Online (which the game was heavily influenced by back then) from when I couldn't afford a decent computer or subscriptions to the MMOs of the time (EQ, UO, DAoC...)

Ahh I remember those days, standing in town whoring myself out to my friend by selling his Rune 2hs, Scimitars and Kites for a 10% Cut of the profit (he would be up all day and night mining and smithing, so I helped him by selling them while he was making more and/or at work)...those were the days...
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Question:

When you say Old School RuneScape are you talking about 2D RuneScape or 3D RuneScape?

Because to me it's the former...and that old 2D one will always hold a special place for me. It was my poormans Ultima Online (which the game was heavily influenced by back then) from when I couldn't afford a decent computer or subscriptions to the MMOs of the time (EQ, UO, DAoC...)

Ahh I remember those days, standing in town whoring myself out to my friend by selling his Rune 2hs, Scimitars and Kites for a 10% Cut of the profit (he would be up all day and night mining and smithing, so I helped him by selling them while he was making more and/or at work)...those were the days...
    I mean Runescape 07 that u can play if you chose not to play Runescape 3. I don't think u can play the older Runescape (pre 07) anymore but I could be wrong.

Runescape 07 is braned Old School Runescape by both Jagex and the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I mean Runescape 07 that u can play if you chose not to play Runescape 3. I don't think u can play the older Runescape (pre 07) anymore but I could be wrong.

Runescape 07 is braned Old School Runescape by both Jagex and the community.
    http://www.runescape.com/classicapplet/playclassic.ws

You can still play the Classic one.

The first 3D version of the game was identical to this one, but with 3D graphics honestly.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

The first 3D version of the game was identical to this one, but with 3D graphics honestly.
    The only way you can play it is if you had a account that has played it and u got the membership.
    You can play Classic if you have RuneScape Membership and you have previously played Classic.
    So in a sense its unplayable to the majority due to this fact.

That is called Classic as well while 07 is called Old School.

Ah 2D Runescape. First mmo for me. Most excited when I got the courage to kill the green dragon for the first time. But I quit around the 3D update... it just lost all of it's charm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I havnt played in a few months. Kinda got bored again, but will always love runescape. I didnt like RS3... too many menus I got tired of it after 2 hours, but i got plenty of enjoyment from old school. I quit in early 07 sooo old school takes place almost exactly where I left off.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I havnt played in a few months. Kinda got bored again, but will always love runescape. I didnt like RS3... too many menus I got tired of it after 2 hours, but i got plenty of enjoyment from old school. I quit in early 07 sooo old school takes place almost exactly where I left off.
    Nice, I wish I could transfer my Rs3 character's gold and gear to 07 lol. Atm I am leveling each skill to 40 and then knocking out quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nice, I wish I could transfer my Rs3 character's gold and gear to 07 lol. Atm I am leveling each skill to 40 and then knocking out quests.
    they just released raids, but I just have too many other things to do. Also they are finally releasing fossil island sometime this year... that shit was spoken about in 06

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    My only real complaint with Runescape is the treasure hunter system. I don't like useful rewards being available to those who decide to spend extra money on the game. A subscription is perfectly ethical; this treasure hunter is not. Also there is a fair amount of botting, though probably around the same level as WoW.
    Thats not entirely accurate though. I play that game and have never spent real money on treasure hunter. First, you can get all the actually useful items in other ways and they keep adding more ways to get them and second, you can get everything, including treasure hunter keys for ingame currency. Yes, everything, even their equivalents of WoW cash store pets and mounts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Thats not entirely accurate though. I play that game and have never spent real money on treasure hunter. First, you can get all the actually useful items in other ways and they keep adding more ways to get them and second, you can get everything, including treasure hunter keys for ingame currency. Yes, everything, even their equivalents of WoW cash store pets and mounts.
    I've heard this argument for years: "If you can earn it in game as well, it's ok."

The problem is, in every game with this sort of system, it's always much more difficult to earn the item in-game. To get extra treasure hunter keys in RS you have to complete quests, get very lucky while skilling, or complete daily challenges. Now, that doesn't mean I am complaining about the in-game options. But you can literally buy thousands of these keys and gain a *huge* advantage over other players. That is the unethical system I am referring to. The fact you can technically earn the keys in-game is, frankly, irrelevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjtZGjI29Qc

The above video shows what is possible with this system. And I'm sure people may look at this and say, "yeah but this guy literally spent thousands! it's rare!" However, I feel it shouldn't be possible at all. Such options should not exist.

An ethical cash shop would not offer any gameplay-enhancing items. Simple as that. I don't care if you can earn it in-game after grinding for 2 weeks; that doesn't justify it fucking being sold a la carte.

Deleted
    I've heard this argument for years: "If you can earn it in game as well, it's ok."

The problem is, in every game with this sort of system, it's always much more difficult to earn the item in-game. To get extra treasure hunter keys in RS you have to complete quests, get very lucky while skilling, or complete daily challenges. Now, that doesn't mean I am complaining about the in-game options. But you can literally buy thousands of these keys and gain a *huge* advantage over other players. That is the unethical system I am referring to. The fact you can technically earn the keys in-game is, frankly, irrelevant.
    You don't gain any advantage over other players. Most treasure hunter items are fully cosmetic and the ones that arent just give you a 5% experience bonus or other very minor bonuses that are mostly for leveling.

Also, again, you're wrong, you do know about bonds, yes? The whole system is built on them, you either buy them for real money to get treasure hunter keys or you can buy them for ingame gold. So basically what theyre doing is selling gold for real money. Same as WoW btw, tokens. But unlike WoW, you can use RS bonds to buy everything you can get for real money. Id say it's a much better system as I would love to be able to pay for server transfer, name change and other things with WoW tokens.

7+ Year Old Account
    You don't gain any advantage over other players. Most treasure hunter items are fully cosmetic and the ones that arent just give you a 5% experience bonus or other very minor bonuses that are mostly for leveling.

Also, again, you're wrong, you do know about bonds, yes? The whole system is built on them, you either buy them for real money to get treasure hunter keys or you can buy them for ingame gold. So basically what theyre doing is selling gold for real money. Same as WoW btw, tokens. But unlike WoW, you can use RS bonds to buy everything you can get for real money. Id say it's a much better system as I would love to be able to pay for server transfer, name change and other things with WoW tokens.
    The equivalent in WoW would be a cash shop selling equipment, since most of the progression in Runescape involves leveling up (and in fact, treasure hunter does give moderately high-level equipment).

What's important to note here is that WoW isn't selling "progress" in any form. Unless you count membership as progress...

Deleted
    The equivalent in WoW would be a cash shop selling equipment, since most of the progression in Runescape involves leveling up (and in fact, treasure hunter does give moderately high-level equipment).

What's important to note here is that WoW isn't selling "progress" in any form. Unless you count membership as progress...
    Well, my RS character is pretty high level and I can't think of a single item from TH that would actually be practically useful to me. The gear is very low level and it's very easy to get enough money to buy much better stuff from the GE. The small exp bonus is nice I suppose but unlike WoW, RS hasn't increased their level caps in over 15 years. Most players are already maxed. I don't really see a difference between buying a level 100 boost from blizzard and that.

Also as I said before, just use ingame gold to buy these keys, whats the issue? It's basically the same thing.

If you have gold in WoW, can you use it to buy gear from the AH? Yes you can. Can you get gold for real life money? Again yes, by selling tokens. It's exactly the same thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, my RS character is pretty high level and I can't think of a single item from TH that would actually be practically useful to me. The gear is very low level and it's very easy to get enough money to buy much better stuff from the GE. The small exp bonus is nice I suppose but unlike WoW, RS hasn't increased their level caps in over 15 years. Most players are already maxed. I don't really see a difference between buying a level 100 boost from blizzard and that.

Also as I said before, just use ingame gold to buy these keys, whats the issue? It's basically the same thing.

If you have gold in WoW, can you use it to buy gear from the AH? Yes you can. Can you get gold for real life money? Again yes, by selling tokens. It's exactly the same thing.
    We'll have to agree to disagree.

Deleted
    We'll have to agree to disagree.
    There is nothing to disagree about. When you boil it down, it leaves one simple question. Can you buy useful things for real money?

In WoW, yes, buy tokens, sell them for gold, use the gold to buy gear, cosmetics whatever.

In Runescape yes, buy bonds for real money, sell them for gold, use them to buy Treasure Hunter keys, gear.. whatever.

I dont see a difference. Every MMO does this.

Just became a member for 3 months today after killing Elvarg and completing all f2p quests.

Jesus christ Elvarg was easy, I didnt dare to do him in 2007 or whenever it was :P lol.