10+ Year Old Account

Overwatch Rating question

Hi, after a really bad placement at 1700 (even tho 8 wins) it's been a pain to solo queue my way up again.

I finally reached 2500 rating and Platinum rank. I of course want to push higher and get to Diamond.

BUT, I do not want to risk getting down to Gold again. At Platinum I get 800 competitive points after the season end and at gold its only 400.

However my question is, CAN I loose my Platinum rank if I go below 2500? In game it says "Players can drop out of this skill tier" for Master and Grand Master, suggesting that it doesn't apply to Platinum.

Since I reached Plat, am I guaranteed 800 competitive points even if I go down below it? Or should I stop playing now to secure it?

Last season I was at 2400 ish due to really bad teams and I kind of gave up. I dropped down to 1900 but I never lost my Gold symbol, so maybe this applies to Platinum too?

15+ Year Old Account
    Just like Season 2, rewards are based off your highest obtained SR.

For Platinum and under, once you hit that rank it is yours to keep for the rest of the season regardless how much you might tank your actual SR.

Master and Grandmaster can lose those ranks by losing SR.

tl;dr Once you have the rank you want, play the game and don't worry about it.
    Last edited by xerus; 2016-12-24 at 06:06 PM.

You always do nothing but blame your team in all of your posts.

It's honestly kind of sad.

15+ Year Old Account
    You never lose your icon (flashing diamond) if you reached that rank, but you can lose your SR after reaching that rank.
    For example, you reached 3k mmr and got your flashing icon, but you can get down to 2.500 rating again, icon will stay (showing you reached that rank once) but nothing else.
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the answers, much appreciated