Question I'm having a lot of fun with my SV Hunter but..

What's up everyone. So i've mostly played Death Knight and Warrior for the last few xpacs and decided to level up a hunter and go SV. I really like playing a melee class. Lucky for me my guild has been taking me on heroic EN runs with them so i've been gearing up kind of fast. My question is, why is SV considered the weakest of all the hunter classes? Is it because they do low dps? Or they dont scale well with gear? Im having a blast with my sv hunter atm and really hope to make him my main eventually.

They scale poorly with gear and require more effort than what other classes put while said classes also pull off more DPS than Survival.

It's fun, but it's not good outside of Arenas.

It's really fun to play it if you enjoy an active/reactive playstyle (unlike mm and especially bm), so I definitely get you. I would check out how 7.1.5 changes things, considering there's pretty big hunter changes, and just keep playing what you're finding fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    What's up everyone. So i've mostly played Death Knight and Warrior for the last few xpacs and decided to level up a hunter and go SV. I really like playing a melee class. Lucky for me my guild has been taking me on heroic EN runs with them so i've been gearing up kind of fast. My question is, why is SV considered the weakest of all the hunter classes? Is it because they do low dps? Or they dont scale well with gear? Im having a blast with my sv hunter atm and really hope to make him my main eventually.
    It is fun, for awhile. What I found is that after awhile there isn't any diversity to what you do. You basically just go unload what you got and that's that. Admittedly, you can say that for most classes these days but the hunter is on the extreme edge of the "push button and wait for it to come off of cool down" rotations. There are some small tactical parts in pvp, small parts, but it's really just push your buttons and wait to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormykitten View Post
    It's really fun to play it if you enjoy an active/reactive playstyle (unlike mm and especially bm), so I definitely get you. I would check out how 7.1.5 changes things, considering there's pretty big hunter changes, and just keep playing what you're finding fun.
    Nice! What changes are happening to sv in 7.1.5? Or do you have a link so i can check them out? Thanks!

Even more proof that the SV change to melee was not done in the interest of veteran hunters but for people only somewhat interested in trying out the idea.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have yet to figure out why people like you ask these types of questions. There are literally loads of threads regarding the survival hunter. There has been loads of discussions and what I conclude from the discussion is this:

- Survival is ''fun'' to play.
    - You can't play it for mythic and heroic raiding (progression wise)
    - The class does fine for normal raiding, the occasional mythic dungeon clearing and low M+.
    - I have read loads of replies saying that it is a good PvP spec, I think that BM and MM are dominate a surv hunter in PvP*
    - The class does fine for WQ

*Why I think BM and MM are better for PvP is basically because with both specs you can kite around, survival has the traps and all, you can probably still ''kite'' but you won't do your full potential damage when you are kiting.

My own opinion about survival is this: I think the rotation needs some work. You have a lot of abilities and if you fail to use them correctly it severely punishes you damage-wise. If the damage would be very good by using the correct rotation it may be a good spec for veteran players, but as the damage output from survival hunters is by fact one of the lowest of all damage specs I don't feel to put my precious artifact power into the artifact. (my surv wep is 25 now, 901 ilvl).

Deleted
    Probably the worse melee dps spec in game (dps wise) maybe unholy dk tho

Comparable Single target to BM/Marks when u get the rotation (which is far harder then BM/MM) oh and your melee while they are ranged..

Great pvp spec tho ^_^

Keep playing it if its fun, it'll get buffed into being viable eventually... It can't be shit the entire expo. Pvp wise its very fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerathul View Post
    I have yet to figure out why people like you ask these types of questions. There are literally loads of threads regarding the survival hunter. There has been loads of discussions and what I conclude from the discussion is this:
    They want someone to validate their choice to play what many people consider a "bad" spec.

Deleted
    SVV is fun no doubt of that but all my DPS alts are melees and i cannot find a situation where my SVV could be better than any of the rest beside gear fuel(its crazy easy to reach good amount of ilv for SVV)
    Personally i would play SVV if provides something interesting like beter mobility or beter utility/defence compared to others he got only 3 min defensives mobility compared to MM/BM even do not exist its not even have good old counterattack talent ...(fantasy my A**)
    Last edited by mmoc2b5ad7a33a; 2016-12-28 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerathul View Post
    *Why I think BM and MM are better for PvP is basically because with both specs you can kite around, survival has the traps and all, you can probably still ''kite'' but you won't do your full potential damage when you are kiting.
    Surv isn't really gimped in damage while kiting, particularly since so many of the attacks are ranged (throw axes, dragonsfire grenade, caltrops, etc.) and it has plenty of snares to keep a target in range. MM's damage is hurt pretty badly by movement preventing aimed shots and both BM and MM are heavily affected by LoS.

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    pretty badly designed spec that takes more effort than most for mediocre results, on top of the fact that it's taking a melee spot. and every SV hunter could just as easily be playing 2 specs that are ranged and perform better.

Deleted
    What people play is almost always directly tied into what deals the most dps.

If survival performs just as well as mm, why play it then according to the majority of the community?

I cleared full en mythic with it and progress mythic tov but the results in terms of dps i provide are merely passable.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahkeus View Post
    Surv isn't really gimped in damage while kiting, particularly since so many of the attacks are ranged (throw axes, dragonsfire grenade, caltrops, etc.) and it has plenty of snares to keep a target in range. MM's damage is hurt pretty badly by movement preventing aimed shots and both BM and MM are heavily affected by LoS.
    Alright, although I have to agree with MM having flaws in arena, on the other hand BM thrives heavily in arena. You can nearly use all your abilities KC, DBF, intimidation, TT. I forgot if you can use dire beast while being LoS, my assumption is that you cannot.

I think the biggest issue is that there is no clear "secondary stat" or am I wrong? You can spec Crit, Haste or Mastery and all benefit you the same...

I'm just hoping they eventually make it viable for Raiding/Mythic+ at some point, for now though I'll continue to play it for PvP and wait for 7.1.5 to try it with Butchery in Mythic+ (should be fine for anything up to +15) and will continue to funnel points into both BM and SV (just went Goblin so am now a Goblin with Juggernaught awwww yeah)