Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

AP New Year's poll: Americans hopeful for a better 2017

NEW YORK (AP) — Emotionally wrenching politics, foreign conflicts and shootings at home took a toll on Americans in 2016, but they are entering 2017 on an optimistic note, according to a new poll that found that a majority believes things are going to get better for the country next year.
    A look at the key findings of the Associated Press-Times Square Alliance poll:
    ___
    SO HOW WAS 2016?
    Americans weren't thrilled with the year. Only 18 percent said things for the country got better, 33 percent said things got worse, and 47 percent said it was unchanged from 2015.
    On a personal level, they were optimistic about 2017.
    Fifty-five percent said they believe things will be better for them in the coming year than in the year that just concluded. That's a 12-point improvement from last year's poll.
    https://www.apnews.com/f6f3788b10074...-a-better-2017
    This couldn't have anything to do with Trump being elected now could it ?

Americans are more hopeful that the United States will be better under Trump in 2017 than it was in 2016 under Obama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    This couldn't have anything to do with Trump being elected now could it ?

Americans are more hopeful that the United States will be better under Trump in 2017 than it was in 2016 under Obama
    Sigh...more partisan bullshit from Vyxn.

2016 being a shitty year has been a trope for 2 months - mostly because people cry when their favorite celebrities die, which has been happening a lot recently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, dont start with partisan bullcrap when the article is just being matter of fact about things.

Bloomberg has an article titled "Consumer Confidence highest it's been since 2001".

If true, that's great news for America.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post

2016 being a shitty year has been a trope for 2 months - mostly because people cry when their favorite celebrities die, which has been happening a lot recently.
    According to some 2016 wasn't shitty until November, and then suddenly it is the worst year ever.
    Major celebrities die every year. Every year can not be the shittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    According to some 2016 wasn't shitty until November, and then suddenly it is the worst year ever.
    Major celebrities die every year. Every year can not be the shittiest.

Celebrities dying which they do every year isn't used by the population to gauge how well or worse the country is doing
    and this poll was takin before two of the celebrities deaths so what celebrities death happened before the latest two caused America to say 2016 was so shitty?
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2016-12-27 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course they're hopeful. Everyone wants the next year to be better than the last...

Let's see if that holds true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Celebrities dying which they do every year isn't used by the population to gauge how well or worse the country is doing
    and this poll was takin before two of the celebrities deaths so what celebrates death happened before the latest two cause America to say 2016 was so shitty?
    It just seems like Since November 8th, and something bad happens people go off the rails.

First Trump and now Princess Leia!!!!! I need my play doh.

2016 was pretty damn good for me and I am looking forward to 2017.

The next year is going to be better for me.

Has nothing to do with Trump being elected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Of course they're hopeful. Everyone wants the next year to be better than the last...

Let's see if that holds true.
    "Fifty-five percent said they believe things will be better for them in the coming year than in the year that just concluded. That's a 12-point improvement from last year's poll."

which means only 43% polled in 2015 thought 2016 would be better then the previous year

10+ Year Old Account
    "Fifty-five percent said they believe things will be better for them in the coming year than in the year that just concluded. That's a 12-point improvement from last year's poll."

which means only 43% polled in 2015 thought 2016 would be better then the previous year
    This was a very divisive year basically all over the world. You're reading too much into it. I know you want to put a partisan spin on it but it's not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That photo is pretty much the best metaphor for 2016 anyone could think off.
    This year has been great for me. I got a new job. Raise. Traveled. Long Vacation. Watched the meltdown after Trump won.

Probably not, more along the lines of Trump was elected in 2016 at the end of an epicly shitty year. Hard to imagine 2017 being worse.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Really, what happened?
    I usually don't watch it, but Trevor Noah had a good line on it: "This was the year that started with Zika and then went bad."

The first news-item I saw this year was about this:

That photo is pretty much the best metaphor for 2016 anyone could think off.
    they asked how well America will be doing next year compared to the previous year not the world and what changed to make America more hopeful then the year before
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2016-12-27 at 09:38 PM.

Each year for me has gotten better than the previous. I worry about the next few years however, for the country as a whole, but for me, personally, I am not concerned.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    This was a very divisive year basically all over the world. You're reading too much into it. I know you want to put a partisan spin on it but it's not that big of a deal.
    you just cant bring your self to do it can you? you just wont admit it even with all these indicators from the stock market to consumer confidence to the dollar and now this poll that the American population and business are very optimistic about Trump that all the doom and gloom the world will end if Trump got elected was nothing but fear mongering bull crap

10+ Year Old Account
    you just cant bring your self to do it can you? you just wont admit it even with all these indicators from the stock market to consumer confidence to the dollar and now this poll that the American population and business are very optimistic about Trump that all the doom and gloom the world will end if Trump got elected was nothing but fear mongering bull crap
    I would assume they're optimistic since they voted for the guy so...

Hell, I'm hopeful he can prove me wrong but it's not looking like it with the way that he's stacked his cabinet. But all the hope in the world won't change anything if things go south.

Also never said the world was going to end but nice try.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Each year for me has gotten better than the previous. I worry about the next few years however, for the country as a whole, but for me, personally, I am not concerned.
    well good for you but the poll asked how well will the country be doing in the up coming year not if you personally will and the majority 55% said it will do better in 2017 then it did in 2016 compared to only 43% that said 2016 will be better then 2015

7+ Year Old Account
    The sky is always falling /meh

well good for you but the poll asked how well will the country be doing in the up coming year not if you personally will and the majority 55% said it will do better in 2017 then it did in 2016 compared to only 43% that said 2016 will be better then 2015
    From your own source:

On a personal level, they were optimistic about 2017.

Fifty-five percent said they believe things will be better for them in the coming year than in the year that just concluded. That's a 12-point improvement from last year's poll.
    The statistics you're referencing are how people felt on a personal level. Which is why I talked about how I see the future looking for me. I also threw in how I think the country will fair for good measure, but your source didn't poll people on how they think the country will do in 2017.

The only poll question about the country as a whole was about 2015 vs 2016:

Americans weren't thrilled with the year. Only 18 percent said things for the country got better, 33 percent said things got worse, and 47 percent said it was unchanged from 2015.
    You should probably read your own source before saying what it was about.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis