Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    As I said, Chicago is the perfect proof for that.
    Just like North and west Euro countries are far softer on crime, but also have far less violent crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    As I said, Chicago is the perfect proof for that.
    And in vast swathes of the United States, what I'm saying works perfectly. Crime is at or near historic lows. A handful of trouble spots do not disprove the underlying conclusion.

Why does your type always think it does? It never has. It never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    You don't want to go down this path. Moral authority does matter. In the end, criminals will lose anyway, one way or another, and society still has to represent values and laws worth defending and promoting.

An America that was a nation of laws, not men... a nation of justice... was and is an inspiration to the world and an example of what good governance and fairness can be for all people. It is a moral and practical example that transcends time and space. An America that throws criminals out of helicopters is not an example for anybody, anywhere, at any time. It is no different from the barbarism of cutting off hands for theft, or throwing people off ramparts for cowardice.

The founders of this country explicitly banned cruel and unusual punishment BECAUSE of their then recent history of just that type of thing in their mother country and Europe as a whole. Your proposition is a betrayal of them, of their principles that founded this country and ultimately, of yourself.
    Laws are only as good as the people who enforce them. Got corrupt politicians or police and you live in a miserable place no matter how great the laws are. I do believe the code of laws here are mostly greatly conceived.

I believe that is part of the greatness of this country are the people who enforce the laws here. For the most part law enforcement here are not corrupt and some even join law enforcement to make the world a better place. While a naive notion in reality is still a great attitude to have coming into law enforcement.

Since America's inception many countries have tried to copy or emulate a similar foundation of laws but the people or the culture perhaps don't have the same reverence of the law as we do here.