Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The flipside is you have people turn it off and farm the crap out of mats. If you really want to RP there are hundreds of places to go.
    People do that regardless

I aren't seeing people explain why optional is bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Less fun for you maybe, but there is a healthy chunk of people who don't care about leveling at all. I still view it as a pointless process, a series of hoops to jump through, just so I can start playing the real game. It's absolutely fun to run through a zone and 1 shot everything. I'm fine with a more Diablo approach, I blow through the trash mobs and have a little more fight time with the mini bosses.

I'm all for it being optional. You want it on, you got it. I want it off, I got it.
    To me, you being able to turn off scaling hurts me more than it helps you. If you want to one shot everything go to Northrend or Pandaria.

And yes i am one of those people who doesn't enjoy levelling, its just hoops to get to raiding, but this interation of leveling has been the best yet.
    Demo is fine... play better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    That mindset is the problem. Previous expansion content is still part of the REAL game. It's immensely wasteful to have all that content treated as garbage that shouldn't even need touched, let alone kept challenging and relevant to the game.
    But that's what Blizzard wanted otherwise they wouldn't have boosted exp for retired zones.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    You didn't outlevel zones in vanilla and TBC. They boosted exp gain in retired zones AFTER they were relevant so new characters can hit the current content faster.
    Yeah this is a half truth here. Sure, you did not completly outlvl some zones, but when you were cleaning up the last quests, you were killing only green-lvl mobs and you were close to maybe skipping an entire zone. So while you did not outlvl the zone/met grey-lvl mobs, you were still getting low xp, killing mobs way down on lvl and maybe overdoing content to such an extent, where some zones would be skipped, because you had overlvled.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietrik View Post
    To me, you being able to turn off scaling hurts me more than it helps you. If you want to one shot everything go to Northrend or Pandaria.

And yes i am one of those people who doesn't enjoy levelling, its just hoops to get to raiding, but this interation of leveling has been the best yet.
    But people are wanting those zones to scale too

People do that regardless

I aren't seeing people explain why optional is bad?
    Its selfish (it hurts people levelling) and makes the RP experience (one of your justifications) worse.

But people are wanting those zones to scale too
    I wouldn't care either way at this point, but if i were to level a toon from scratch again sure it makes sense. My point is its bad for current content to turn off scaling for some and not others.
    Last edited by Dietrik; 2016-12-29 at 06:03 PM.

Deleted
    Its selfish (it hurts people levelling) and makes the RP experience (one of your justifications) worse.
    You haven't explained why

Deleted
    All the zones should scale, not just current content. RP-walk around the roads if you have to, it's dangerous to RP alone in the forest.

You didn't outlevel zones in vanilla and TBC. They boosted exp gain in retired zones AFTER they were relevant so new characters can hit the current content faster.
    I frequently outleveled zones even in Classic. Then again, I was a tank, and I usually ran dungeons to level faster. Once I was a level or two above the zone recommended levels I would do the quests until they turned grey.

I am Shaman - Play Free Online Games
    FML... Shamans suck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    All the zones should scale, not just current content. RP-walk around the roads if you have to, it's dangerous to RP alone in the forest.
    It also doesnt take 10 strikes with a 8ft sword to kill a bear nor can a man survive 15 arrows to the chest but whatever When you're RPing you usually ignore the mobs as been there anyway because its immersion breaking having a deer survive five fireballs to the face

How does me 1 shotting everything in the leveling zones hurt you? Why would I go to Northrend and Pandaria to level? I want to get to max level as fast as possible, I certainly don't find any enjoyment in spending 20 secs to kill no name mob #81923810 versus spending 2 secs killing it. I think WoD had one of the best models thanks to the bonus objectives. I could be level 94 almost 95 before leaving the first zone, Maybe I go to Gorgond or maybe I skip on to Talador. How did that affect you?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    That mindset is the problem. Previous expansion content is still part of the REAL game. It's immensely wasteful to have all that content treated as garbage that shouldn't even need touched, let alone kept challenging and relevant to the game.
    Says who? I don't see anyone wishing they could go level in BC Zones at level 100. Hell, most of what I see is people dreading go through the old content, because IT IS OLD! I played Outland when it was current, same for Wrath and Cata and MoP, what's the point of making it cutting edge when I'm betting the greater majority doesn't want to be there. Give people and option to skip 60-70, 70-80 for like 5k-10K gold and I bet they do it. Not because they are lazy, but because it's old, boring content. Making those zones harder and scaling up to you leveling isn't going to make anyone say "Oh joy, I get to spend twice as long in Outlands!"

But, and here is the shocker, I am 100% for giving people a choice in the matter.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-12-29 at 06:17 PM.

You haven't explained why
    So i am levelling in a zone at appropriate level, you want that herb over there, run through and kill everything that i need claws from to get that herb... I would be like #%#@... Or you decide to help one of your friends levelling, and round up all the mobs for them to loot, that can happen now with gear but would be worse for the other levellers if you could just one shot everything.

I am fine for previous content or maybe a later tier, but we are still first tier, people are still levelling.

And the RP thing, imagine you are in a lower level zone with a bear or two and the bear mauls you it should hurt. Now if you want to reduce aggro radius for RP, i would be fine with that, give you an item so you don't aggro everything for RP but even that is stretching it because then you are walking past said bear and it ignores you. Now if you are doing some kind of RP which doesn't ralate to the zone you are in and it doesn't make sense for a bear to attack you, then why are you in that zone?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
    I frequently outleveled zones even in Classic. Then again, I was a tank, and I usually ran dungeons to level faster. Once I was a level or two above the zone recommended levels I would do the quests until they turned grey.
    Well yeah if you regularly ran dungeons too you would but just levelling the zone by quests would often result in running out

[QUOTE=Perr;43957507]I've already seen all the zones and all the monsters. If I want to take my max level character and go do some mining or herbing or whatever in a low level zone, I don't want to have to stop and fight lvl 110 boars every 30 seconds.[/QUOTE

What if you want to level with a friend and you're 104 and he is 72? What if you hate a certain zone and would like to do a different one? What if you want to see an area and have a challenge but you outlevel it? Timescaling and scaling make it so you can accomplish these things. But heaven forbid you have kill a boar while picking a flower that is on the AH for 4 copper.

Deleted
    So i am levelling in a zone at appropriate level, you want that herb over there, run through and kill everything that i need claws from to get that herb... I would be like #%#@... Or you decide to help one of your friends levelling, and round up all the mobs for them to loot, that can happen now with gear but would be worse for the other levellers if you could just one shot everything.

I am fine for previous content or maybe a later tier, but we are still first tier, people are still levelling.

And the RP thing, imagine you are in a lower level zone with a bear or two and the bear mauls you it should hurt. Now if you want to reduce aggro radius for RP, i would be fine with that, give you an item so you don't aggro everything for RP but even that is stretching it because then you are walking past said bear and it ignores you. Now if you are doing some kind of RP which doesn't ralate to the zone you are in and it doesn't make sense for a bear to attack you, then why are you in that zone?
    Im assuming you don't RP

Nodes are shared anyway you can't steal herbs now. As for claws they wouldn't be killing your mobs because they won't aggro. Again this already happens now anyway. People already help friends by one shotting mobs for 12 years, why change now
    Last edited by mmoc1f234b9ee4; 2016-12-29 at 06:16 PM.

Pass. I like the zones feeling relevant after reaching the level cap. It gives them more to work with.

Dungeons and raids don't really have anything to do with this; it's unlikely they'll ever scale those beyond Timewalking.

Deleted
    It also doesnt take 10 strikes with a 8ft sword to kill a bear nor can a man survive 15 arrows to the chest but whatever When you're RPing you usually ignore the mobs as been there anyway because its immersion breaking having a deer survive five fireballs to the face
    "Yes it's totally unrealistic", said the man-ox as he removed his ceremonial robe, revealing his hard, thick three foot totempole.
    "Now, forget the fireballs and deer... and bend over boy, I'm going to teach you about the elements.."

That more realistic RP for you?

(It's a world of magic, weird beasts and fucking huge shoulderplate armor, nothing in the world makes sense so I'm not sure why deer surviving a fireball would suddenly be "immersion breaking")
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2016-12-29 at 06:16 PM.

Deleted
    Most of the time optional is great however there are a few things to remember.

Optional has to be really optional. This is a game where the devs have to artificially gate content or people blow trough it in the optimal way no matter how boring or frustrating this way is.

TEchnical limitations. We do not know how much effort it takes to retroactively apply scaling tech where none exists and how difficult adding a button to turn it on or off actually is. Remember Ghostcrawlers recent post on player feedback.

I understand why blizzard keeps raising the level cap. It's the easiest way to have the necesarry reset every expansion and "slowly" introduce people to some new systems. i can understand why some people do not like leveling however. I'd love to have my character/zone/rewards scaled so I get something more or less relevant wherever I go and whatever I do, rather then being forced to repeatedly run the same dungeon/raid/ whatever the latest treadmill is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    How does me 1 shotting everything in the leveling zones hurt you? Why would I go to Northrend and Pandaria to level? I want to get to max level as fast as possible, I certainly don't find any enjoyment in spending 20 secs to kill no name mob #81923810 versus spending 2 secs killing it. I think WoD had one of the best models thanks to the bonus objectives. I could be level 94 almost 95 before leaving the first zone, Maybe I go to Gorgond or maybe I skip on to Talador. How did that affect you?
    Its the same, thats why i said this is the best levelling experience so far... I could jump in at max level and still have the people i am helping contribute to the quest rather than sit there while i just kill everything.

Ultimately it really doesn't matter, i am max level don't have a toon below 870 and i can't see myself levelling another any time soon. But this is the best levelling Blizz has ever done and i wouldn't have wanted it ruined by people who had maxed it in 12 hours and hurt the experience for other people still levelling which happened in previous xpacs including Wod.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    It's funny you mention RP. My character has defeated Kel'Thuzad, Illidan, Arthas, Deathwing, Archimonde...twice! Buuut those random boars in Elwynn forest are just as hard to kill now as they did when I was a lvl 5 nobody.