Anyone else tried the new Final Fantasy Trading Card Game yet?

If the answer is "No i can't bloody find it anywhere" i wouldn't blame you. Apparently Square Enix printed the new tabletop take on its turn based jrpg series in miniscule numbers and most regions of the world are utterly sold out and the only sellers are scalpers trying to sell individual cards at an average of £30 each. So until the next printing happens "Opus 1" booster sets are rarer than a Unicorn right about now.

But the Starter decks seem to be in plentiful supply thankfully. Based on the 3 Playstation generations first games you can get an FF7, FFX and FFXIII deck right now. Personally i've bought two base decks and around 12 booster packs and so far i am really enjoying it but you just never hear people talking about it much.

You have a game based around fire, earth, water, wind, ice, lightning, light and dark. you draw 2 cards per turn, can only ever have a max of 5 in your hand and the objective is to hit the other player so they take the top card off their deck and put it in a 'damage zone' and the first to 7 damage zone cards wins. Only some cards have an 'EX' icon which means their effects occur even if they go to the damage zone or in some cases the Break Zone AKA the Graveyard. Its built around two types of main cards. Forwards are attackers and backups are your energy/mana but also have their own effects. The FF element comes in where cards from the same FF game can strengthen each other and even party up and pool their value (cards have one value e.g Cloud with 9000 which is both attack and health which heals all damage at the end of a turn if the card is not destroyed) to attack a powerful target and use moves based on their in game equivalents e.g Omnislash for Cloud or Dolphin Kick for Tifa.
    With the 2 card draw, first to 7 hits design a 50 card deck burns through very fast which makes it one of the fastest card games i have ever played and its doing enough differently that i am really enjoying it with my circle of friends and for something completely sold out in stores i am just surprised it isn't talked about more. Especially with the brand behind it.

Anyone else gotten into this?

Heres a somewhat dull video by Square Enix about playing but honestly i think its just worth picking up a starter deck and trying with a friend since its pretty simple.

As a big fan of the series its been real fun to throw on a mix of the game soundtracks while playing, unsure if this is in the right section mind you, don't think i've ever posted about a TCG on MMOChampion before
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2016-12-30 at 01:49 AM.

...I kinda just want that board to play MTG on

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a direct cross between MTG and Yu-Gi-Oh.

Might have to look into it.

Aaand booster boxes sell for far too much. I think I'll pass.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2016-12-30 at 06:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Sounds like a direct cross between MTG and Yu-Gi-Oh.

Might have to look into it.
    From what i understand a second print run of the first set comes out next month, i'd buy starter decks now but hold off on scalped boosters, i've seen people charging £500 per box and £27 PER 15 card pack, SE really didn't expect them to explode like this. Personally i've not seen a TCG launch this popular since Pokemon Base set 1.

Looks like I need to take a peek at the places around here for boxes.

Well more informations come out and it looks like it simply wasnt planned for US release yet so EU and US had the stock shared. There is an Opus 1 reprint coming but they also started taking preorders for Opus 2 which is a FF8/FFXIV/FFXV based set as Opus 1 was largely FF7/FF3/FF5 based as well as new FF9 and FF type 0 decks. Still waiting on that FF6 deck but it looks like there is way more support and larger printing runs coming and the game seems to have nailed the landing so many other videogame spin off card games failed to do.