Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    They did it because they were basically paid off by cereal companies, who wanted to sell their processed garbage, and traditional breakfast like bacon and eggs were competing. So the cereal companies paid to demonize fat/cholesterol, and get "recommendations" for high carb diets, to get people to buy more cereal. The whole thing was always about corporate profits, not health.
    I think there was also vegetarian/vegan ideology driving it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What do you mean by healthy exactly?
    Excessive fat, vitamin/mineral deficiencies, poor cholesterol, etc.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    They did it because they were basically paid off by cereal companies, who wanted to sell their processed garbage, and traditional breakfast like bacon and eggs were competing. So the cereal companies paid to demonize fat/cholesterol, and get "recommendations" for high carb diets, to get people to buy more cereal. The whole thing was always about corporate profits, not health.

There has never been any evidence of any health risk from cholesterol. It's actually a required nutrient, and LOW cholesterol has been found to cause severe health issues. The health issues that have been blamed on fat and cholesterol for decades are actually caused by excess carbohydrates.

I have always completely ignored the food pyramid. I go high protein/high fat/as low carb as possible. It's possible to go zero carb (like Atkins), but it is very very very difficult to maintain it, and some people don't deal with ketosis well. But low carb is possible for anyone to do. The food pyramid as it is right now is upside down anyway. I don't ever get "reduced fat" anything. I even had to stop buying the tubs of ice cream a few years ago, because they went "reduced fat" in it, reducing the fat while increasing the sugar. The only things I'll get that are "low fat" are things that just don't have fat in them to begin with (apple sauce is a great example here).
    Been on the Keto diet for a few years. First 3 months my blood sugars normalized. Dr.s forced to take me off almost all my diabetes meds now. I only eat about 20g carbs a day.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Well excessive fat is reduced by exercise, vitamin deficiencies are possible through extremely poor diet (I mean, if you eat nothing but soap for a month for example) but aren't really likely to reach serious levels if you eat commonly available foods in a modern country. You could eat McDonald's every day for every meal and still not get a serious vitamin deficiency.

Whether or not cholesterol is a problem is the whole subject of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    That's what you mean by healthy?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Been on the Keto diet for a few years. First 3 months my blood sugars normalized. Dr.s forced to take me off almost all my diabetes meds now. I only eat about 20g carbs a day.
    I realy want to do that. The only problem is, I have yet to find any drinks I can stand for long periods that don't have at least some sugar in them. I try to avoid HFCS, and the sugar drinks I do drink (like powdered lemonade at work), I dilute to about 1/3 of the normal strength (basically just use 1/3 of the powder they recommend for a quart of water). I need to find some kind of non-sweet drink I can stand. I do drink water, but I can't drink only water...I've tried, after a day it just tastes bleh. I also refuse to touch anything with nutrasweet in it.

There are drinks now sweetened with erythritol. I Mostly just drink tea and water and sometimes Crystal light. I do have coffee with Coconut oil and Butter in the morning. But on average i drink 120 oz of water or more a day
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    About time. But I'm worried by the attempts to shift blame to saturated fats, which have already been largely exonerated despite prevailing 'wisdom'.

Causative agents in heart disease are blood sugar spikes and pollution via fires, smoking, etc. The linking mechanism is apolipoprotein/lipid alteration either through glycosylation or oxidation. People with more fat in their blood are more susceptible to the above causative agents, but eating fat is not a risk factor itself unless you have mutations in something like LDLR.

That is my extrapolation based on what I've read, and not established fact.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    About time. But I'm worried by the attempts to shift blame to saturated fats, which have already been largely exonerated despite prevailing 'wisdom'.

Causative agents in heart disease are blood sugar spikes and pollution via fires, smoking, etc. The linking mechanism is apolipoprotein/lipid alteration either through glycosylation or oxidation. People with more fat in their blood are more susceptible to the above causative agents, but eating fat is not a risk factor itself unless you have mutations in something like LDLR.

That is my extrapolation based on what I've read, and not established fact.
    Yeah, I've never made any attempt whatsoever to limit saturated fat. I avoid anything that says "reduced fat" like the plague. Not necessarily "low fat" though, some stuff is just low fat because it never had any fat to begin with. It's funny that they're starting to label things like that "low fat".

Cholesterol guides are all based on the samd flawed study done many years ago. Beleive it or not most doctors are conservative and tend to resist change.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    Cholesterol guides are all based on the samd flawed study done many years ago. Beleive it or not most doctors are conservative and tend to resist change.
    Yep, that's why I just totally ignore it all.

I pay attention to three things; Saturated fat; Cholesterol; and Sodium levels.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Next they'll tell us that it's a good idea to smoke a pack of cigs a day.
    Sigh. No. They'll never tell you to smoke cigarettes to be healthy. Ever. Period. They know how and why cigarettes cause cancer.

There was an article not long ago that said how the sugar industry shifted blame for heath problems from sugar to fat. So now fat is good. Cholesterol is good.
    No, cholesterol is not good. It just isn't bad for you. Similarly, saturated fat isn't bad for you either. There is just no reason to avoid them in your diet.

The reason for the confusion over cholesterol and saturated fat is the use of "relative risk". When you study something like smoking causing cancer, and you find the relative risk increases by literally hundreds of percent, then you have some solid ground. They also followed up with deeper study into why smoking caused cancer and found a solid end-to-end connection.

In contrast, dietary studies typically end up with a 25% to 50% increased relative risk. This is actually a very weak correlation, and the use of the term relative risk makes it sound much more important than it is. For example, a study will look at 20,000 people where 45 get heart-related problems...20 were on a low-cholesterol or low-fat diet, and 25 were on a high-cholesterol or high-fat diet...hence, a 25% increase in relative risk. However, when you are looking at a 0.1% chance vs a 0.125% chance, it is statistically insignificant...and, that is one of the reasons the recommendation to avoid saturated fats and dietary cholesterol is being revised to "don't worry about it". The other reason is that when you look at all of the studies, you don't really even have that weak level of correlation (e.g. Omega 3 fatty acids aren't actually beneficial when all studies are looked at...the British Medical Journal debunked that one a full decade ago, but most doctors are still pushing that even today - http://www.bmj.com/content/332/7544/752.full ).

If you are really interested in this issue, here is a great article that talks about the fight to improve the sciences that are heavily using statistics - http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...cience/308269/

I eat eggs everyday, and have a good amount of saturated fats as well in my diet. My total cholesterol is 135, same thing with my dad, we both love rich foods, and we have low cholesterol. No idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    No, cholesterol is not good. It just isn't bad for you.
    Cholesterol is actually essential. Without it, you would be dead. But your body makes most of it itself.

Deleted
    Just find these https://youtu.be/DsVzKCk066g https://youtu.be/yzl7oX9FYGE that explain like i said earlier in thread why you should not trust the system.
    If you are obese/overwaight/have brainfog/autism/adhd/add/on alot of medications or just having a hard time geting going with a more healthy life then you really should watch these.

Next they'll tell us that it's a good idea to smoke a pack of cigs a day.

There was an article not long ago that said how the sugar industry shifted blame for heath problems from sugar to fat. So now fat is good. Cholesterol is good.
    This is just the Republican Party making sure stupid people die faster again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    This is just the Republican Party making sure stupid people die faster again.
    Surprise surprise a braiwashed person whoring for the globalists, from the feminazi crowd with brainfog and low hormone lvls if male wants us to stay in the dark by bullying ppl that starts to wake up.

edit

Bacon is super food deal with it fock flaxseeds and soy.
    Last edited by mmoc737d4c7b6a; 2017-01-05 at 11:34 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    I eat eggs everyday, and have a good amount of saturated fats as well in my diet. My total cholesterol is 135, same thing with my dad, we both love rich foods, and we have low cholesterol. No idea why.
    Me too, I eat at least 2 dozen eggs/week. Cholesterol is also not affected by diet, so feel free to eat as much as you want. If you don't get enough of it in your diet, your body will just produce it. It's essential in the body because it's a precursor to a lot of other compounds.