Need Help w/ Holy Priest HPS

Hi all. Lately.... ok this whole xpac I've been struggling with trying to achieve better HPS. While I've ranked on a lot of fights, overall I feel that I should be doing much better than I am. I feel that our healer comp may be part of it as we run with 5 (Monk, Pally, Druid, Shaman, and myself), but high mobility (specifically raid) encounters makes keeping my HPS competitive a serious struggle. My guild is 7/7 mythic and we just got Mythic Odync last night and man... my healing was AWFUL. I'm constantly looking at parses for other H priests and reviewing my own trying to see what I can do differently, but it always seems to boil down to heavy movement trashes my healing, or holy it seems, is not really being the kind of healer that can snipe and other healers beat me to the punch. I get that it's a team effort, but I'd prefer not to be the healer that has to go DPS when doing fights that require one fewer because my HPS is nothing to write home about.

I've tried playing around with my stats like mastery/crit, crit/mastery, and even crit/mastery/versa but the outcome doesn't change much.

Here are logs from last night. It's got mythic Odyn and heroic ToV mixed together (my talents & mastery% flip flopped about as I tried seeing if anything worked better than the norm). I'm glad we got him but it's pretty depressing with what I perceive as a personal failure for not doing better.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...YZgM2a#boss=-3

Any constructive criticism and feedback would be much appreciated.

Why do you have Trail of Light and then almost exclusively cast Binding Heal (or even have Binding Heal)? You have 12,000 crit rating and got 2 Blessing of Tu'ure procs the entire fight. Use Flash Heal.

You end the fight at 80'ish percent mana, and never dip below 75%. Get 1 or 2 throughput trinkets and actually use that mana. Your # of casts are pretty low for this fight.

Use your Holy Words. You cast them once per minute despite having Binding Heal and Light of the Naaru.

You are slower than your healing partners. Serenity and Sanctify should never be 50% overheal. Several of your Serenity's and at least two Sanctify's healed for 0 or near zero. Those are instant casts. That is either a UI/hotkey problem or a reflex problem. Can't tell from here.
    Last edited by Nephthysis; 2016-12-31 at 09:25 AM.

Hpriest does realy well on Mythic odyn, for one thing you realy shouldnt be using binding heal, ( trail of light flash heals are better, just spot heal low people constantly and dont be afraid to use serenity on any dps who are around 40% health ), Also you should be using benediction PoM and casting PoM on CD, your Mastery is realy low, you realy should try to keep Crit/Mastery even, 27% Mastery is way to low. Your finishing the fight on abnormally large pool of mana, And your casts of Holy words is realy low considering you were using binding heal. Then again your guild seems to be rocking 5 healers for Odyn, so maybe there just isnt that much for you to heal...

Please note that I did say I was playing around with talents that night. Binding heal isn't the norm, it just happened to be what I was using on that attempt. Also had an awful ping that night thanks to roommates streaming. Unfortunately that live log is missing several attempts at the start. I'll have to see if any guildies were logging that can put theirs up.

As RNG would have it most of my upgrades don't have mastery. I wear what I can without dropping too much ilvl. However even so with heavy mastery so much bleeds into overheal with our comp that I've not been able to justify it.

My biggest concern being, how are you guys dealing with lots of movement? I feel like fights such as Odyn, and Cenarius to a greater extent, all I do is run about to get in/out of mechanics such as dancing blades, expel light, spear of light, getting in runes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by circenn View Post
    Please note that I did say I was playing around with talents that night. Binding heal isn't the norm, it just happened to be what I was using on that attempt. Also had an awful ping that night thanks to roommates streaming. Unfortunately that live log is missing several attempts at the start. I'll have to see if any guildies were logging that can put theirs up.

As RNG would have it most of my upgrades don't have mastery. I wear what I can without dropping too much ilvl. However even so with heavy mastery so much bleeds into overheal with our comp that I've not been able to justify it.

My biggest concern being, how are you guys dealing with lots of movement? I feel like fights such as Odyn, and Cenarius to a greater extent, all I do is run about to get in/out of mechanics such as dancing blades, expel light, spear of light, getting in runes, etc.
    To be sure, Odyn is hell on HPriest. Not saying you are ever going to beat the Mistweaver or RDruid. But you could have Surge of Light for another instant and be casting more Holy Words and more PoM's that don't care if you're moving once they're out.

The sham is doing like half as much healing as the 2 bottom heals in your raid. I'm pretty sure if you drop him, it won't be noticeable and your hps will be a lot higher. TBH, I don't think there are many fights where 5 heals are needed in this raiding tier.

Sorry if this seems harsh mate,

It's been mentioned but using binding heal while still spec'd into Trail is so bizarre I just don't get it.
    Renew doing 40% overhealing is really a waste of your level 100 talent, and you should look at swapping to Apo if this is frequently the case. With that said, only 13 casts of PoM in a nearly 9 minute fight while you are running Benediction?. Not only have you wasted your level 100 talent, you haven't even tried to use it too it's full potential.
    Also your usage of serenity and sanctify seem pretty poor, 49 % over heal on on serenity and 43% on sanctify is a metric fuck tonne of wasted mana and heals.

Go on the priest Discord channel and ask for help there man, there are way more active users reading that chat then on here.
    All I can say is when you get the spell usage down, lower your overhealing and take the correct talents for the fight, Holy then becomes a game of WA's and utilizing your buffs to min-max everything you possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by circenn View Post
    Understand that you do not need to deal with every mechanic in the game. If your guild allows you to play a priest healer, they should also be allowing you to turret a lot of the time. It's just one of those problems that we have as holy priests. Unless it is completely necessary, you should not have to move for every ability. For example, in odyn I rarely ever move for shield of light. The melee+mobile healers such as druid/shaman/monk are able to handle that for themselves. I also make sure to never be clumped up with the ranged or melee, which means that fewer spears will drop on my head and I will not have to move for horn or expel light. Same goes for the stomp on Cenarius. Planning where you want to be, while also being aware of where you can go is a pretty big part of playing holy since you are so immobile.
    Last edited by rosastolemyseat; 2017-01-02 at 07:00 AM.

Deleted
    Prayer of Healing? there is combo - after casting Holy Word: Sanctify, then you have 2 buffs (Divinity 6 sec and Power of the Naaru 15 sec) you should cast Prayer of Healing (twice at least). It does wonders if you align it when big damage comes.

(then you can extend combo by casting Holy Word: Serenity, you get Divinity again 6 sec and cast again 2x Prayer of Healing, while power of the naaru is still up)
    Last edited by mmoce25a800b33; 2017-01-02 at 12:44 PM.