Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demindar View Post
    I lost 28 SR. Thats more then I lose in my own tier on average. And no loss streak, I won just before this game.
    28 SR isn't a bad loss. I've had wins where I get ~50 SR.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    If you weren't able to beat a team in the next tier, maybe you're not supposed to progress further than your current tier.

This is what people don't seem to understand about matchmaking. If you want to progress higher up the ladder, you eventually have to face more challenging opponents.
    Basically this.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Makes me wonder why you've even playing comp if you don't think you're good enough to take on higher rated opponents. Clearly 2300 is good enough and you should just call it quits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    28 SR isn't a bad loss. I've had wins where I get ~50 SR.
    I've yet to get more than 12 on a win, and I lose around 40 on a loss. The rating system Blizzard uses is kinda bjorked. Only time I can advance is when I win four games to each loos.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I have serious issues with matchmaking in overwatch, particularly in arcade/quickplay, but overall no huge gaps like this in Competitive.

I do wish something would be done to create an actual solo queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Demindar View Post

Seriously so confused..
    I've been in several matches with Silver, Gold, Plat, and Diamond in a game... it's mostly with premade groups that I see it, but have had it with several all-PUG matches...

Think it only started with this season of Ranked, since they have changed the ranking system so much and how it calculates that it sort of did a soft reset on your skill rating to replace you somewhere in the ranks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    If you weren't able to beat a team in the next tier, maybe you're not supposed to progress further than your current tier.

This is what people don't seem to understand about matchmaking. If you want to progress higher up the ladder, you eventually have to face more challenging opponents.
    Except that the system is putting people who should be in mentioned tier.
    The system should NEVER be putting people in the Diamond tier against people in the Gold tier. Or even the Silver tier. Platinum isn't that much.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post

Except that the system is putting people who should be in mentioned tier.
    The system should NEVER be putting people in the Diamond tier against people in the Gold tier. Or even the Silver tier. Platinum isn't that much.
    You do realize that all of the tier icons outside of Master and GrandMaster are permanant each season and no matter how low your SR is you keep your icon?

Those icons just show the highest someone has reached this season, not what their current SR is.

As I previously mentioned, this screenshot is meaningless without the actual SR numbers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I've yet to get more than 12 on a win, and I lose around 40 on a loss. The rating system Blizzard uses is kinda bjorked. Only time I can advance is when I win four games to each loos.
    Wow, you must be in completely different rating system than everyone else. Or you're just constantly playing with people 1k below you.

10+ Year Old Account
    That means your wins are against lower ranked teams that you should be beating anyway and you probably lose against these same teams (resulting in the huge rating drop). Win against higher rated teams, get more points. Lose to a lower ranked team, lose more points.

You are just winning games you should already be winning and losing the games that should be an even match. If you are going to lose, do it after a win streak. This means you are at a rank that you probably shouldn't be. If you play enough games you will end up in your appropriate rank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xerus View Post
    You do realize that all of the tier icons outside of Master and GrandMaster are permanant each season and no matter how low your SR is you keep your icon?

Those icons just show the highest someone has reached this season, not what their current SR is.

As I previously mentioned, this screenshot is meaningless without the actual SR numbers.
    Pretty much this, if you wanted the SS to have any value you should have taken it at the start when it shows the avg SR of both teams.

------------------
    At OP: Also, I'd be willing to bet that team comp played a huge factor in your loss. Look at the enemy team, and then look at yours. OP is playing symmetra on attack without a second tank or a good hit scan. If you had picked Zarya or solider you would have had a much better chance of winning.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2017-01-11 at 06:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That means your wins are against lower ranked teams that you should be beating anyway and you probably lose against these same teams (resulting in the huge rating drop). Win against higher rated teams, get more points. Lose to a lower ranked team, lose more points.
    Yup. But not much I can do when so many people play to lose.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. But not much I can do when so many people play to lose.
    The other team has the same issue. Go into a game expecting to carry your entire team - pick heroes that have big impact for solo queue. I suggest Zenyatta, Zarya, 76.

10+ Year Old Account
    The other team has the same issue.
    You would think that, but it seems like it's always the guy on my team who starts out with the "I'm gonna Hanzo and we're gonna lose, and there's nothing you can do about it" speech.

And of course there's matches like this (relevant to OP)...

where on player is teamed up with low ranking players so their average rank is low enough to go against me. End result is around a 50% win ratio, but when I drop down out of the mid 2000s I lose more rank than I gain. Making it rough to get back up.

Todays score, three wins & three losses for an overall rank loss of 29 points.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2017-01-11 at 07:38 PM.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    You would think that, but it seems like it's always the guy on my team who starts out with the "I'm gonna Hanzo and we're gonna lose, and there's nothing you can do about it" speech.

And of course there's matches like this (relevant to OP)...

where on player is teamed up with low ranking players so their average rank is low enough to go against me. End result is around a 50% win ratio, but when I drop down out of the mid 2000s I lose more rank than I gain. Making it rough to get back up.

Todays score, three wins & three losses for an overall rank loss of 29 points.
    But you just said you get 12 points for wins and lose 40 on losses. That would make 3W (3*12) - 3L (3*40) = -84.

Your ranking system had quite an overhaul over night?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    But you just said you get 12 points for wins and lose 40 on losses. That would make 3W (3*12) - 3L (3*40) = -84.

Your ranking system had quite an overhaul over night?
    I said on as much as 40, or at least I thought it really loud. It does vary, but is almost more for a loss than a win.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    I said on as much as 40, or at least I thought it really loud. It does vary, but is almost more for a loss than a win.
    Seriously, if you're not ever getting more than 12 points on a win, it's because you're only ever winning against teams you significantly outrank or because you're playing poorly relative to your current skill rating. I consistently gain 30 or more SR on a win, and a pretty similar amount for most losses. You're not expressing an issue with the system, you're expressing that you're likely overranked and the system is trying to downrank you appropriately. I guarantee most people aren't seeing 12 SR gains on every win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Seriously, if you're not ever getting more than 12 points on a win, it's because you're only ever winning against teams you significantly outrank or because you're playing poorly relative to your current skill rating. I consistently gain 30 or more SR on a win, and a pretty similar amount for most losses. You're not expressing an issue with the system, you're expressing that you're likely overranked and the system is trying to downrank you appropriately. I guarantee most people aren't seeing 12 SR gains on every win.
    Yes, I outrank them because I lose due to people leaving or playing to lose. So I am back down in the teens for rank. There is nothing I can do about it, since as a result of being so low, I gain 12 and lose 40. Blizzards system is setup so that once you start to lose, you're more or less done. Which is fine, I've given up on this season. I can't make people try to win and I can't fix Blizzards broken disconnect/rejoin system. It's a pity, because when playing at my rank it's a fun game.

-Kujako-

Its a blizzard comp game, so automatically the match making is notoriously shit.

Think it isn't?

Realize that you can be paired with players that are 2000 SR as a 2999 sr player.

Realize that if people are partied up, you can be queued as a 3400+ player to a group of 2700 SR players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I outrank them because I lose due to people leaving or playing to lose. So I am back down in the teens for rank. There is nothing I can do about it, since as a result of being so low, I gain 12 and lose 40. Blizzards system is setup so that once you start to lose, you're more or less done. Which is fine, I've given up on this season. I can't make people try to win and I can't fix Blizzards broken disconnect/rejoin system. It's a pity, because when playing at my rank it's a fun game.
    Again, what you're saying just isn't true. It's perception bias. You feel you should be ranked more highly, but those scoring values, if accurate, say you're ranked too highly already.

As a bit of a control, I just played a few matches myself. I got downranked pretty hard before Christmas due to an unlucky streak, so I was sitting at 2075, by no means a high rank. I had two wins and a loss, going to 2108, 2140, and then back down to 2117. That's gains of 33, 32, and then a loss of 23. I'm gaining more than I'm losing, likely because I should be slightly higher ranked, given how I played in those matches. I wouldn't qualify the loss as a "good match", either; no leavers, but we lost 3-0 on Route 66, couldn't cap the first point on our attack run.

You keep claiming there's an issue, but it isn't affecting anyone else, and every chance we get to test it, your claims don't hold up to what we're seeing for ourselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Again, what you're saying just isn't true. It's perception bias. You feel you should be ranked more highly, but those scoring values, if accurate, say you're ranked too highly already.
    You keep saying this, and yet at higher ranks I lose less and gain more. You have nothing I can see to back up your assertion that the game is out to lower my ranking, because "reasons".

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    You keep saying this, and yet at higher ranks I lose less and gain more. You have nothing I can see to back up your assertion that the game is out to lower my ranking, because "reasons".
    Nothing other than my observations of my own win/loss numbers, as posted there, other than Blizzard's statements as to how the system works, the observations of other players that all match my own, etc.

That's not "nothing". You're either not accurately perceiving your own win/loss rating changes, and just noticing some huge losses and tiny gains and thinking those represent all of them, or you're not perceiving your rating level properly. I can't tell what the real issue is, because you haven't given us any specific information, just some claims about what you think you saw one time that you expect us to take as representative of all matches, even when our own experience doesn't reflect it at all.