Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

What GPU to use for 1080p at max settings?

I've got a 60hz 1080p monitor and I plan on sticking with that for now. I'm also running a i5 6600K processor and 32 GB of RAM. The one bottleneck on my PC is my ancient 6870 that I've had since 2011. What GPU would be good for maxing out WoW? Keep in mind that most of my PC gaming is WoW and a few small games on steam. Thanks for your help!

Keep in mind that WoW is cpu heavy so getting 60fps+ in everything won't happen. For example you are not getting 1080p/60fps+ stable in Mythic Raiding.

With that said a GTX 1070 is more then enough to run WoW at max settings. I am on a GTX 970 and run it max myself. If all you are doing is WoW mainly, I see no point in getting a 1080.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

WoW in 1080p? The 1060 would fit the bill. I use it to play WoW in 4k.

u can use anything from gtx 960 / rx 480 onwards for legion full hd max settings. Problem is cpu bottleneck, modern grafix carts dont even start the cooling vent at wow.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    WoW in 1080p? The 1060 would fit the bill. I use it to play WoW in 4k.
    Does WoW support the 4K res or are you just upscaling to 4K?

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Running a GTX 1060 6 GB , on my old I7 920 2.67 ghz, and it runs fine on graphic setting 7 , clutter on 10, Shadows on Ultra. Upgraded from a broken 5870.

I set the max fps at 70, and get that in most zones, except some suramar/val sharah areas (not sure if the CPU is the bottleneck in my case), it's usually only when looking a certain direction.

FPS drops in group content is another story.

With your processor and depending on budget a 1070/1080 is even better then a 1060.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-01-03 at 02:57 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Keep in mind that WoW is cpu heavy so getting 60fps+ in everything won't happen. For example you are not getting 1080p/60fps+ stable in Mythic Raiding.

With that said a GTX 1070 is more then enough to run WoW at max settings. I am on a GTX 970 and run it max myself. If all you are doing is WoW mainly, I see no point in getting a 1080.
    Thanks for the reply. I still have a bit of saving to do as real life things are occupying my money. (Pesky vacations and bills!)

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    u can use anything from gtx 960 / rx 480 onwards for legion full hd max settings. Problem is cpu bottleneck, modern grafix carts dont even start the cooling vent at wow.
    I'd be interested to see how my system runs under load. I'll have to log some performance testing under different situations now, unless there is already a good write up of this somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Immadude View Post
    I've got a 60hz 1080p monitor and I plan on sticking with that for now. I'm also running a i5 6600K processor and 32 GB of RAM. The one bottleneck on my PC is my ancient 6870 that I've had since 2011. What GPU would be good for maxing out WoW? Keep in mind that most of my PC gaming is WoW and a few small games on steam. Thanks for your help!
    With the setup i have listed in my sig i do not even hit 60fps everywhere in game due to reasons mentioned above. Wow is not very optimized in places and will bottleneck at your cpu.

One trick however is that in raids you dont need your shit turned to ultra, even with my setup i set my raid tab to like 5, i never dip below 60 at that point in a raid

I went from an HD6950 to a 1060 3gb version fairly recently and its been able to handle everything I've chucked at it. only things it struggles on is some areas of Surumar where it drops to 35-40ish fps, but that's still on everything at max settings where before I had to tune stuff down to even get 35fps in Dalaran.

Does WoW support the 4K res or are you just upscaling to 4K?
    It's native. Behold;
    http://i.imgur.com/bjDsBsx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5DKj2AC.jpg

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    It's native. Behold;
    WoW (pun intended)...do you use a 4K monitor? I'm just wondering what your setup is like!

WoW (pun intended)...do you use a 4K monitor? I'm just wondering what your setup is like!
    It doesn't take much to run WoW at 4k. WoW is not graphically intensive at all. There is a reason why the 750ti was recommended for so long as a great budget card for WoW. I would imagine it would be fairly easy to run WoW at 4k as long as you have a 2500k or newer CPU and even a 970 or a 1060 could probably do 4k reasonably well. I'd go for at least a 1070 though, just so I may be able to run some other games at 4k.

I prefer to game from the couch so I play on a tv. E65-E1. I got it from Sam's a couple months ago for $600. It's no LG OLED or anything, but it's been very enjoyable for the money.

Yeah I'm playing on 10 outside of raids and crap perfectly fine with a 970. If all you're doing is WoW then pick up a 1050ti. If you want other stuff then pick up a 1060 6GB. With a 6600k you're perfectly fine for WoW, I imagine you're overclocking yea? Also another question what else are you doing besides gaming? 32GB of ram is extremely overkill for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Yeah I'm playing on 10 outside of raids and crap perfectly fine with a 970. If all you're doing is WoW then pick up a 1050ti. If you want other stuff then pick up a 1060 6GB. With a 6600k you're perfectly fine for WoW, I imagine you're overclocking yea? Also another question what else are you doing besides gaming? 32GB of ram is extremely overkill for gaming.
    Could be a photographer, or video editor, thats only reason I could possibly think of having more than 16g for anything gaming related.
    http://twitch.tv/fsslgnra Streaming whatever dumb shit I'm doing at the time