Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Angry German police require racial profiling

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...nt-new-attacks

So apparently it's OK to use racial profiling now because according to the police certain ethnic groups are more likely to commit crime according to them? Is this not against some German constitution or something?

Immigrants from North Africa are the least law-abiding group: They make up 2 percent of Germany's immigrant population, but in the nine months of 2016, they accounted for 22 percent of immigrant crime.

In the third quarter of 2016, however, crime by immigrants dropped 23 percent compared with the first three months of the year.

Angela Merkel doesn't like to repeat her 2015 slogan, "Wir schaffen das" or "We'll work it out," but that's exactly what's been going on.

Germany may yet end up proving to the world that the easy solution of keeping asylum seekers out wouldn't have been merely less honorable, but also overly alarmist.

Seems kind of a practical solution to me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Can you blame them?

"German police haven't taken long to get their act together, and immigrant crime is down sharply. Their methods, which include a sort of racial-- or at least behavioral --profiling may be controversial, but they are proving effective."

Effectiveness >> Feelings.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

10+ Year Old Account
    Profiling is a sensible use of finite resources.

It's a bit ridiculous that the left is trying to attack the police for this. Luckily, this will only affect their poll ratings.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Some good police work.

Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post

So apparently it's OK to use racial profiling now because according to the police certain ethnic groups are more likely to commit crime according to them? Is this not against some German constitution or something?
    Germany has seen a massive surge of crime over the last year. When the vast majority of these crimes are committed by people of a certain profile, you're going to keep a closer eye on said group. Arguing morality is irrelevant. The job of the police is to protect the public.
    I don't read replies, so don't bother.

They had to do something. If trains filled with north african groups arrive at the same place where the situation escalated 1 year ago you better check them.

Police gets always hate.. if they prevent crime they are racist if they dont they are incompetent. Never gets old.

Also this isnt exactly racial profiling they had a good reason to believe 2015 happens again (they were right btw... it would have happend again without intervention) so they controlled the group that was responsible for 2015. They even controlled people who caused trouble there last year lolz.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2017-01-04 at 10:58 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Immigrants from North Africa are the least law-abiding group: They make up 2 percent of Germany's immigrant population, but in the nine months of 2016, they accounted for 22 percent of immigrant crime.

In the third quarter of 2016, however, crime by immigrants dropped 23 percent compared with the first three months of the year.

Angela Merkel doesn't like to repeat her 2015 slogan, "Wir schaffen das" or "We'll work it out," but that's exactly what's been going on.

Germany may yet end up proving to the world that the easy solution of keeping asylum seekers out wouldn't have been merely less honorable, but also overly alarmist.

Seems kind of a practical solution to me.
    tell that to all the victims

your 8 year old boy got raped at teh pool but "we'll work it out"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post

What do you mean by saying "against the German constitution or something"? I take it that "something" could as well be just the Code of Hammurabi? It is definitely against the latter but the people who could enforce it are long gone.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

I think a lot of people wouldn't bat an eyelash over racial profiling - it is demonstrably both necessary and effective - it it wasn't happening in Germany, of all places.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post

Have you actually read what you have replied to or are you stuck in write-only mode?

They are working it out and there are results already.

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that and feel offended.
    I found the reports of single trains (500-1500) loaded with only northern africans to be quite fascinating. They all decided to go to the new years party at the same time? This screams organized to me.

7+ Year Old Account
    Was someone wrongfully accused and jailed based on this?

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post

A better translation would be 'we can overcome this', though.

Deleted
    It was completely warranted tbh.

It IS against the Constitution (https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/gg/art_3.html) and against the European Human Rights Convention and thus, illegal. That's why they are criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    A better translation would be 'we can overcome this', though.
    "We'll manage", would work as well and also has the non-formal tone as the one in German has.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It IS against the Constitution (https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/gg/art_3.html) and against the European Human Rights Convention and thus, illegal. That's why they are criticized.
    Police says it was no racial profiling. Politicans praised the work of the police that night (Merkel / Gabriel) bascially all non left parties.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if there is a notable trend of crime being attributed to certain demographics then even though it's unfortunate it's a legitimate strategy to combat said crime. That being said, these sort of systems tend to eventually have a potential for abuse with profiling and innocent people end up suffering the brunt of it. Usually the biggest cheerleaders of implementing these are those who it wont affect or inconvenience whatsoever.

I myself have been stopped at US airports more time than I can count for "random screening". I guess I can understand and don't mind as much when the NSA agents/immigration officers are respectful, polite, and do it in a timely manner. This isn't always the case though and quite often I've met absolutely downright vile people in positions of authority who not only made me feel like shit, almost made me or have made me miss a flight, but have made me feel as if I'm not a US citizen.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    That is if they can prove that they have received different kind of treatment than say hooligans get before a football match. I don't see that happening tbh.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!