Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Shitting on millennials is so 2016.

Its almost like when the media only shows spoiled brats, idiots think we're all like that. When its probably less-than-half ONLY upper-middle/upper class millennials who are like this.

Most of us are fine.

Also...why the fuck would most of us NEED to know how to tie a knot like that, or start a fire from scratch? We don't live in prehistoric times. Those are not really basic life skills. Those are wilderness survival skills.

Actual basic life skills are:

Learning to cook
    Learning to do Laundry.
    Learning how to essentially lobby for themselves (vs having a parent do it)
    Learning how to plan and pack for a trip
    Learning how to Drive/Pumping Gas
    Learning how to do your taxes.
    Learning basic homeownership things, like property taxes, insurance, ect.
    Learning basic self-defense.
    Learning how to tie a tie.
    What about those of us who can't drive due to disabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    The only life skill you need to know in the case of the freaking apocalypse is how to use a gun. Everything else will fall into place after that.
    Being able to start a fire without a lighter or matches might come in handy.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    What about those of us who can't drive due to disabilities?
    A large percentage of townships have services for the physical disabled. Try those?

I know even certain states (Unfortunately not any in the south) offer some kind of service if the township doesn't. Here in Illinois we do, at least that's what a friend of mine says he's using.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2017-01-08 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    A large percentage of townships have services for the physical disabled. Try those?

I know even certain states (Unfortunately not any in the south) offer some kind of service if the township doesn't. Here in Illinois we do, at least that's what a friend of mine says he's using.

I go to a service that finds employment for disabled people.

Quote Originally Posted by VGAddict View Post
    I go to a service that finds employment for disabled people.
    Do they find employment for mentally disabled as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Thank god we have google!
    You gonna google it after the power grid goes down?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You gonna google it after the power grid goes down?
    People amaze me when they don't realize that electricity/gas/coal/nuclear reaction/wind/water is behind them being able to do anything in a first world country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Oh please you cannot count the very, very few people who create technology into the pot of 99,9% of the remaining population.

People over 40 are significantly worse with technologies when compared to ages 10 - end 30.

I am an IT recruiter and my best friend is a 2nd/3rd line supporter. It's almost always the same type of person who's tech illiterate: Those who have never been involvoed with techs in their youth and didn't bother/didn't have to learn anything about them.

Most of these people are 40+.

For the most part they truly don't have to know much about computers and technology in general. But that doesn't change facts.
    I worked tech support for a major tech firm, most of the people I had issues with were the under 40s.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think millennials lack basic life chances. Like access to decent qualified jobs without the indentured servitude of internships and student debt. Or affordable housing. Or a functional climate in twenty years. Thanks Boomers.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've always argued for basic compulsory national service, but not combat related. When I was 13, I joined the AFC (Army Cadet Force) and learned a lot of things I still carry with me to this day. Simple things like reading a map, how to tell what direction I am going in, and one of the most important of all; basic discipline, respect and not being a little bitch when shit doesn't go my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I worked tech support for a major tech firm, most of the people I had issues with were the under 40s.
    Maybe there's a difference because I live in Germany? Germany isn't that tech fixated anyway.

Or people over 40 just do not own a lot of technology so they don't even have a reason to call?

It makes no sense for a younger generation that literally grew up with technology to be worse off than those who had to adapt and learn actively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Maybe there's a difference because I live in Germany? Germany isn't that tech fixated anyway.

Or people over 40 just do not own a lot of technology so they don't even have a reason to call?

It makes no sense for a younger generation that literally grew up with technology to be worse off than those who had to adapt and learn actively.
    Part of it is the older generations are far more willing to admit when they do not know the tech, while younger people tend to (often incorrectly) think they know what they are doing. Young people also tend to not know tech more than skin deep, get beyond plug and play and they crumble.

Take my my family. My teen daughter knows how to manipulate trendy apps better than I do because I dont use them, but she cant connect to wifi if WPS isnt working, let alone log into the router and change settings (which I can do easily).

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Part of it is the older generations are far more willing to admit when they do not know the tech, while younger people tend to (often incorrectly) think they know what they are doing. Young people also tend to not know tech more than skin deep, get beyond plug and play and they crumble.

Take my my family. My teen daughter knows how to manipulate trendy apps better than I do because I dont use them, but she cant connect to wifi if WPS isnt working, let alone log into the router and change settings (which I can do easily).
    Nobody in my family can change router settings. It's like magic to them. Once I had to drive 250km to my parents place just to reset the router settings for them because "something broke down, nobody did anything and things just happen with this damn thing".

Nearly all of the basic life skills can be resolved in a few minutes. Don't know how to do it? Google it. Don't care to do it? call someone to do it for you.

If it's a skill you encounter frequently, like check writing, you'll quickly remember how to do it. If I needed to change a tire, which I have no idea how to do, I doubt it would pose the slightest challenge to do so.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Being able to start a fire without a lighter or matches might come in handy.
    Pft i know how to shoot at wood, don't you even worry!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Knowing how to drive(depending on your job), knowing how to tie a tie/knot and and self-defense are hardly basic skills.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most people know how to tie a bow knot or something similar since it is used for tying shoes.

Most people in general don't know how to read a map. I'd say 99% of people out there, regardless of age, couldn't find their location on a USGS topo map. Urban mapping like Thomas Guides have gone the way of the horse-drawn buggy and cathode ray television.

Being able to start a fire from scratch isn't a practical skill. Out of all the weeks I spent outdoors as a kid one thing everyone carried with them was a lighter.