Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't Macy's announce this like last summer? So technically it is Obama who lost all the jobs. Blame him not Trump!

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Come on Trump supporters!! All of you that gave him credit for Ford's hiring plans, the time to speak up and give Trump credit for this is now!!!
    It's pretty obvious why macy's is closing down stores, they stopped carrying Trump brands.

Just like obama claimed we saw huge job growth, we saw poverty income job growth. You will get the same guffaw we gave about those jobs being gained, as they are being lost.

Honestly, no one gives a shit about retail jobs

Eddie Lampert and his kooky Lord of the Flies management style and its disastrous consequences for Sears/Kmart have been known for years.

Can't speak on Macy's as definitively but they have had troubles for years.

Trump more or less shakes his fist at companies shipping jobs out of country, then becomes president, and various coincidences and maybe-not coincidences happen with jobs moving back into the country.

The connection you're trying to establish is rather shit, you should try harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    fuck kmart lol

worked there for 5 years and was practically supervisor but those assholes paid me slave wages lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The jobs which were offshored because they weren't profitable to keep in the US, you mean. There's very little functional difference.

But man, I can't believe Trump is causing department stores to go out of business.
    not nessesarily disagreeing. Globalism isn't going anywhere

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Trump saves 800 jobs, then loses 100,000. All job losses and gains are a direct result of glorious leader Trump!

Come on Trumpers, the time to be consistent and not look like hypocrites is now!

- - - Updated - - -

This is pretty much what everyone (except blind and ignorant Trumpers) has been pointing out about the other "gains" that Trump has supposedly been responsible for, but in every case the business had already been planning on doing anything before Trump talked to them.

The point of this thread is to point out the almost hilarious hypocrisy.
    Lol, you must still be really salty over the fact that trump won lol.

If you don't like him, he must be doing something right.

What does trump have to do with the internet owning these markets?

Man politics makes my head spin.

Its a GOOD thing these stores are closing. They were losing money.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

meh...

Wasn't the death of physical stores predicted 20 or more years ago? It happened slower than expected, but Amazon won.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Eddie Lampert and his kooky Lord of the Flies management style and its disastrous consequences for Sears/Kmart have been known for years.

Can't speak on Macy's as definitively but they have had troubles for years.

Trump more or less shakes his fist at companies shipping jobs out of country, then becomes president, and various coincidences and maybe-not coincidences happen with jobs moving back into the country.

The connection you're trying to establish is rather shit, you should try harder.
    You should try reading the post I made, and not just the title.

And that goes for about 40% of the people in this thread. Hook, line, sinker, fishing pole and the whole damn boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post

And that goes for about 40% of the people in this thread. Hook, line, sinker, fishing pole and the whole damn boat.

I'd like to say it was fun but I walk away sad at the complete lack of self awareness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I'd like to say it was fun but I walk away sad at the complete lack of self awareness.
    People are clearly just looking for an excuse to brawl over their favorite team.

Jobs allegedly "saved"

• Ford - 700
    • Carrier - 800
    • Softbank - 8000
    • Dow Chemical - 200

Total: 9,700
    Not Bad

Jobs allegedly "lost"

• Macy's- 10000
    • Kohl's- 1500
    • Carrier- 400
    • K-Mart - 12000
    • K-Mart - 7500

Total: 31,400

Net gain: - 21700

/golfclap

(*Note, this is obviously a joke post. Do not take it seriously.)
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    These major American brands are closing stores all across the country. The timing of these closures brings to question the perceived effect of a Trump presidency on the stability of American consumerism.

But let's stop there. The purpose of this thread is to expose the extensive confirmation bias from self-identified Trump supporters that has plagued just about every news story about a business succeeding in the past few weeks.

If Trump is responsible for those successes, then he must also be responsible for these failures. Now, any rational person would reject both of these arguments - Trump isn't in office yet, and businesses don't plan colossal changes to their strategies on the basis of a few words from an incurable liar; the most they would do is use his election as an excuse for their already-laid plans in order to sway national opinion or gain publicity. But for some reason, select individuals feel the need to justify their support for a candidate by irrational means, as if their own reputation were at stake.

An almost hypothetical question to discuss: Do you think the team mentality that has infiltrated American politics is beneficial to the political decisionmaking process?

Sources:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...Y7K/story.html

http://www.syracuse.com/business-new...sing_list.html
    The stock market goes up and down in response to elections thats fact, kmart was already in chapter 11, and sears is moving into chapter 7. so this had nothing to do with trump or the markets reaction to the election blame walmart.

10+ Year Old Account
    The war between Walmart and Amazon will be upon us with all the other retailers forced to picked a side.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The war between Walmart and Amazon will be upon us with all the other retailers forced to picked a side.
    Just wait for the food franchise wars i hear taco bell wins.

I am getting tired of these "political bait" threads, from both sides. We've dealt with this bullshit for over a year, it's time to let it rest and move on.

It's not Trump's fault and don't go blaming Obama either. I am often surprised at how little some of you people understand how our economy really works and the very small part a President plays in it.

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    This has been a long time coming and can only be attributed to Trump if you're stupid and grasping for causation out of some weak correlation. Sears has been mentioned as possibly going out of business completely the last few years. This has very little to do with Trump and more with online shopping such as Amazon cutting into the market. The overheard of a physical location and paying employees to be on site in all these locations isnt as cost effective as just maintaining a few warehouses and shipping products, especially as you can get things the next day. It makes sense to close stores after the holiday rush, not before hand.
    This guy gets it.

7+ Year Old Account

Yup, a LOOOOOOOOT of people didn't read the OP.

Macy's Closing 68 Stores, KMart/Sears Closing 150 - Trump?

No, Amazon Prime.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

These major American brands are closing stores all across the country. The timing of these closures brings to question the perceived effect of a Trump presidency on the stability of American consumerism.

But let's stop there. The purpose of this thread is to expose the extensive confirmation bias from self-identified Trump supporters that has plagued just about every news story about a business succeeding in the past few weeks.

If Trump is responsible for those successes, then he must also be responsible for these failures. Now, any rational person would reject both of these arguments - Trump isn't in office yet, and businesses don't plan colossal changes to their strategies on the basis of a few words from an incurable liar; the most they would do is use his election as an excuse for their already-laid plans in order to sway national opinion or gain publicity. But for some reason, select individuals feel the need to justify their support for a candidate by irrational means, as if their own reputation were at stake.

An almost hypothetical question to discuss: Do you think the team mentality that has infiltrated American politics is beneficial to the political decisionmaking process?

Sources:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...Y7K/story.html

http://www.syracuse.com/business-new...sing_list.html

Trump negotiates with a company to keep jobs and when companies close it's all Trumps fault? LOL When is the last time you been in a Kmart, Macey's or Sears? I went to a Kmart over the holidays, it was dingy and they had a bad selection, they are one of the ones getting closed. Funny enough though I did find what I needed there.