Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Movies] Your Most Anticipated Films of 2017

2017 has a lot to offer in the way of films. I have already jotted down more than 50 films that I will watch regardless of critical reception, and another 20 that I will keep an eye on. I have made this thread as a place in which whoever wishes to do so can create a list of their most anticipated films of the year that we have ahead of us, and perhaps also discuss those films and each other's lists, whatever is relevant to the topic.

When it comes to determining what can be considered as a 2017 film and not, it's not very important, as long as you make a rule and stick to it. If you're unsure or don't care that much, I have a suggestion: go by when the majority of the world will get to see the film in question. If the majority of the world will get to see it in 2017, it's a 2017 film. If going by this rule, films like Assassin's Creed, La La Land, and Hacksaw Ridge will be considered as 2016 films, and films like The Great Wall as 2017 films. Or you can go by earliest widespread release. Whatever floats your boat.

When creating a list it can often be difficult to decide the order in which to put the films you want to include. In a situation like this, it can be helpful to compare the films two at a time, and ask yourself the following question: ‘if these films were being screened simultaneously at my local cinema, which would I go and see (first)?’ I highly encourage you to write a reasoning (however brief you desire) to accompany each and every entry in your list, as the entries themselves aren't what's interesting, but why you have decided to include them. If you're wondering how large your list should be, I say as large as you see fit. How many films one finds interesting or is looking forward to will vary from person to person, and as a result so will the appropriate list size, whether it be 5, 10, 17, or whatever strikes your fancy.

Here is my list:

Honourable mentions, in somewhat loose, ascending order: Suburbicon, The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, Kong: Skull Island, Murder on the Orient Express, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Wind River, The Shape of Water, Beauty and the Beast, Loveless, Alien: Covenant, War for the Planet of the Apes, Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Some of the entries are so close together that one could change them around without affecting the accuracy all that much. The entries in question are 8 through 6 and 4 through 2.

10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    • I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and am looking forward to getting more of it.

9. Thor: Ragnarök
    • Taika Waititi directed the brilliant Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and I am very curious about the outcome of a fusion between a superhero movie like Thor and Waititi's style of direction.

8. Mute
    • Duncan Jones himself has said that Mute is the spiritual sequel to Moon, a film I thought was great. Sam Rockwell is rumored to make an appearance, but other than that I'm not too excited about the cast.

7. Dunkirk
    • Christopher Nolan has a knack of making rather enjoyable films, and it will be interesting to see how he will tackle a war film. One of my favourite actors has a role in it, which adds to the anticipation, and the cast is overall good.

6. Annihilation
    • This will be the second feature Alex Garland does as a director. The genre is the same as his previous work Ex Machina, which was pretty great, so I'm already predisposed to liking this, but the premise makes it look even more interesting. The fact that one of my absolute favourite actors returns to work with Garland in this only adds to that.

5. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
    • The quirky nature of Yorgos Lanthimos' films appears to suit me rather perfectly, so naturally I'm looking forward to his next feature. Colin Farrell's performance in The Lobster was nothing short of great, so his return adds quite a bit to the anticipation.

4. Baby Driver
    • It has been too long since Edgar Wright's last film. As one of my favourite directors, it's no surprise to find his upcoming film this high on the list. The overall cast is pretty good, too.

3. Blade Runner 2049
    • Boy, oh, boy, Team Villeneuve-Deakins is back, and in one of my favourite genres at that. I haven't even seen the original Blade Runner, but I don't need to in order to know that this will be great. It does make me very unsure what to expect apart from that, however, so I'm not too certain about the placement.

2. Okja
    • One of my favourite directors, Joon-ho Bong. I don't really need to know more, but the fact that the cast is pretty great only adds to the excitement.

1. Mary and the Witch's Flower
    • The director has been working for Studio Ghibli for a very long time and directed two films for them: The Secret World of Arrietty and When Marnie Was There. If those films are any indication, however, I won't be seeing this film until next year, at the earliest.
    Last edited by Arctagon; 2017-01-08 at 09:54 PM.

Deleted
    My list:

10. King Arthur Legend of the Sword
    9. IT
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    7. Dunkirk
    6. Transformers 5 The Last Knight
    5. Kong, Skull island
    4. Blade Runner 2
    3. Justice League
    2. Star Wars: Episode VIII
    1. Alien Covenant

Can be one of the best sci fi movie years in a long time.

5 -Dunkirk - A war film not about everybody dying gloriously or grimly, but a solemn tale about people risking their lives to save others? Directed by Chris Nolan? Count me in!

4 - Star Wars VII - Mostly looking forward to more Poe and Kylo Ren in this film, and in general just more Star Wars.

3 - Lego Batman/Ninjago - After the amazing Lego movie, I have high hopes for these two new 90 minute adventures with actually witty humor and entertaining stories to tell as opposed to the typical jokes and tropes that depend upon action set pieces to carry them.

2 - Cars 3 - The finale to Lightning McQueen's story and what appears to be a somber tale about moving on with a career ending injury. If Toy Story 3 was any indication, this will be one of Pixar's highlight films.

1 - Fate: Heaven's Feel (Part 1) - At long last, anime's most anticipated feature film is finally coming out! From the legendary anime studio Ufotable, the animators behind the masterpieces Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks, comes by far the most interesting route in the original Fate, and bringing the Fate saga full circle. Whereas Fate/Zero dealt with what it meant to truly be a hero, and Fate UBW with the extraordinary consequences of being one, Heaven's Feel will end the story with when one can push on no longer and would want to stop being a hero. This is by far my most anticipated film, and the great news is that it will be a trilogy!

Might have to watch Unlimited Bladeworks if people really like the Heaven's Feel adaptation. I guess. Maybe.

I guess I will do a top ten:

10. Kingsman: The Golden Circle

I really liked the first movie, and I've liked all the movies Matthew Vaughn have directed so far, so with him returning, what could go wrong?

9. The LEGO Batman Movie

Loved The LEGO Movie, and I really like Batman, and what I've seen so far of this one looks really funny. The last three years there's been a movie (two this year) in February which was one of the first movies on my top 10 list, and which stayed throughout the whole year, so hopefully this one will maintain that fine tradition.

8. Kong: Skull Island

I really like the look of this based on the trailers, and using a Vietnam backdrop instead of the usual time King Kong is set in is refreshing.

7. Blade Runner 2047

They actually went ahead and made a sequel to Blade Runner? Ugh. But wait, it is going to be directed by Denis Villeneuve, the guy who made Prisoners (and Sicario I guess)? And he just made Arrival this year, which was a really awesome sci-fi movie? And it is going to star Ryan Gosling? I now have hopes for this movie, and I do love cyberpunk and have been missing a cyberpunk movie. Hopefully it becomes a success and he can go ahead and make a Dune movie too. On a related note, since I like anime and cyberpunk, I am of course also excited to see the Ghost in the Shell movie, but it didn't make this list because I'm not totally confident it will work out.

6. Thor: Ragnarok

The Thor movies have been "good" in my opinion, but compared to the rest of the MCU, they've been lacking. However, everything I've heard about this sounds awesome and like it will change all the things I didn't like about the others, so I have faith. Oh, and have you guys seen the logo? It is beautifully retro, how can you not love that?

5. Logan

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was pretty eh in my opinion, and hated by many others, and The Wolverine was fine, but didn't really rock my world. However, this one looks different and interesting, and while I have avoided the trailers personally, I've heard very good buzz about this. I think it will be a surprise hit for many.

4. War for the Planet of the Apes

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was great, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was fantastic, and this one looks like it might be really awesome as well. If it is, then this new Planet of the Apes trilogy will be one of the great cinematic trilogies, which is exciting. Each of the movies are pretty distinct too, which would make it even cooler if this one knocks it out it out of the park as well.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I think I liked Dawn of the Planet of the Apes a bit more than the first GotG movie, so why is this sequel higher than Dawn's on my most anticipated list? Well, I just have a feeling that this movie might be better than the first one, which would be a big accomplishment, since I liked the first one so much. I think it is in another league compared to the rest of the MCU.

2. Star Wars: Episode VIII

I enjoyed Episode VII tremendously, and I sorta have my hopes up that this one will pull an Empire Strikes Back and be even better and more exciting.

1. Dunkirk

Christoper Nolan. Do I need to say more? As a bonus, it seems like a movie that truly shows the despair and brutality of war (kinda like this year's Hacksaw Ridge, which is probably going to end up being my favorite of 2016). I have grown to dislike american WWII movies that show Americans being bros and kicking Nazi-butt to a ridiculous degree in 1944/1945, so this feels like it might be the perfect antidote.

I wasn't even aware that a Fate film was being made. I sure appreciate the heads-up.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Thor 3, and Justice League I'm all looking forward to. But my most anticipated movie? No fucking contest, John Wick 2, and it deadens my faith in humanity that I'm the first person to list it.

I'd like to see A Monster Calls, 20th Century Women, Personal Shopper, John Wick 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Not sure about what else is releasing in 2017- I just go week by week as I see almost everything major.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will definitely watch John Wick 2, Trainspotting 2, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2 and Alien Covenant on the big screen.

Deleted
    Mouuvies i'll go see

Resident evil
    The great wall
    King Kong
    Ghost in the shell
    Pirates of the caribbeans

There's movies i'll probably see that i don't haf much faith for like

Blade runner
    Star wars
    Planet of the apes
    Alien
    Life

Mobies i'll see due to family

Beauty n th beast
    Desp me 3

Movies I won't see n have no hope for

The mummy
    Wonderwoman
    Fast n furious
    King Arthur
    Logan
    Thor

Movies I won't see even if I got payed

Fifty shades
    Ass creed
    Dunkirk

Then there's movies whose mere mention scares me...Proves Hell irl

I figured out there was no real reason not to use the rule I follow outside these forums when it comes to determining release year of a film. So now I am, and I changed the top entry as a result of that.

I will see John Wick 2 at least 3 times in the theater. After that, probably Alien Covenant. Had to add Planet of the Apes. I really like those. #TeamKoba
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    There's movies i'll probably see that i don't haf much faith for like

Blade runner
    Star wars
    Planet of the apes
    Alien
    Life
    With Denis Villeneuve directing Blade Runner 2049, I'm not worried at all. That man makes great films and the cast is solid.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Not to mention that with Roger Deakins the cinematography will be amazing.

Deleted
    i lol'd

F**k You, It's January! (2017)

RedLetterMedia
    Jan 12, 2017

It's that magical time of year AGAIN! when Jay and Mike talk about the dumping ground that is January AGAIN! ... and possibly more.

January is somewhat saved by all the 2016 movies that get wide-release to ride the award buzz wave.

Deleted
    tbh I enjoy cheezy b-movies like resident evil n underworld

Star Wars Episode 8
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    3. Blade Runner 2049
    • Boy, oh, boy, Team Villeneuve-Deakins is back, and in one of my favourite genres at that. I haven't even seen the original Blade Runner, but I don't need to in order to know that this will be great. It does make me very unsure what to expect apart from that, however, so I'm not too certain about the placement.
    Stop what ever your doing, right now.
    The moment you have finished reading this post, go find it on NetFlix, Hulu, Download it, Whatever, and watch it, but make sure it is "The Final Cut" version as this is the one that scott had complete control over.

There is absolutly no way at all you can consider youself a fan of the Sci-Fi Genre without seeing Bladerunner, (at least a couple of times). It is quite littrally one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. That is not me saying it because I love the film, it is ranked at 20 by Empire out of the 500 best movies of all time, the only other scifi's to beat it in that list are 2001 and Empire Strikes Back.

The cinimatography and soundtrack are without a doubt the best I have seen in any film of the genre, if at all possible watch it on as big a screen and a good a sound system as you can, do not ruin it for yourself by watching it on a small screen whilst surfing the net as you will be missing everything that makes this a classic film.

I have no doubts at all that if you watch Blade Runner 2049 before watching the original you will feel very confused about a lot of things, as from what I understand it will deal with one of the major questions that fans have had for the last 35 years about the film.

No, I am not going to spoil this, those that have seen the film know what I talk of
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2017-01-12 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Stop what ever your doing, right now.
    The moment you have finished reading this post, go find it on NetFlix, Hulu, Download it, Whatever, and watch it, but make sure it is "The Final Cut" version as this is the one that scott had complete control over.

There is absolutly no way at all you can consider youself a fan of the Sci-Fi Genre without seeing Bladerunner, (at least a couple of times). It is quite littrally one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. That is not me saying it because I love the film, it is ranked at 20 by Empire out of the 500 best movies of all time, the only other scifi's to beat it in that list are 2001 and Empire Strikes Back.

The cinimatography and soundtrack are without a doubt the best I have seen in any film of the genre, if at all possible watch it on as big a screen and a good a sound system as you can, do not ruin it for yourself by watching it on a small screen whilst surfing the net as you will be missing everything that makes this a classic film.

I have no doubts at all that if you watch Blade Runner 2049 before watching the original you will feel very confused about a lot of things, as from what I understand it will deal with one of the major questions that fans have had for the last 35 years about the film.

No, I am not going to spoil this, those that have seen the film know what I talk of
    I concur, Blade Runner is objectively the third best sci fi movie of all time (behind Metropolis and 2001).

Deleted
    Yes, Blade runner is a must-see movie.