Thread: 1060 3gb

1060 3gb

Good evening,

So I recently received a 1060 3GB PNY GPU (Didnt have to pay for it). The GPU has a bright light on the underside of it that is white. However, Sometimes I notice that the light will turn red. And stay like that for awhile (eventually going back to white ect.). I have tried doing some research online to find out what causes the light to go red and trying to figure out if it is a sign there is a problem.

A couple of theories would be that the GPU isn't drawing enough power, or somehow overheating (even tho it is red with it being under 50C). have any of you had experience with these cards and maybe know what a red light means.

Those lights usually just indicate whether the pci-e power plug is seated properly, wouldnt worry about it.

Deleted
    You sure it ain't a custom brand GPU with LED lights installed?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan11d7 View Post
    Good evening,

So I recently received a 1060 3GB PNY GPU (Didnt have to pay for it). The GPU has a bright light on the underside of it that is white. However, Sometimes I notice that the light will turn red. And stay like that for awhile (eventually going back to white ect.). I have tried doing some research online to find out what causes the light to go red and trying to figure out if it is a sign there is a problem.

A couple of theories would be that the GPU isn't drawing enough power, or somehow overheating (even tho it is red with it being under 50C). have any of you had experience with these cards and maybe know what a red light means.
    It either means your GPU is likely working above a certain threshold, temperature or power consumption.

If the card is working fine you can pretty much ignore it.

Edit:
    Actually when you mean underside .. do you mean where the fans are?
    If so then it's just load on the GPU, i.e. when you start a game.

I am not 100% sure, but to me when I see it go red I wonder if its not drawing enough power. Maybe your right and it is just not big deal.

On a side note, the card has an 8 pin PCIe port. My PSU has a 6 Pin PCIe plugin with the attached 2 pin, and coming off of the 6 pin plug is another 6 pin PCIe with a 2 pin on it. The GPU came with 2 6 PCIe to 8 PCIe converter. Can I just plug in the main 6 pin and attached 2 pin, or should I plug in both 6 Pins to the converter into the 8 slot port on the GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    It either means your GPU is likely working above a certain threshold, temperature or power consumption.

If the card is working fine you can pretty much ignore it.

Edit:
    Actually when you mean underside .. do you mean where the fans are?
    If so then it's just load on the GPU, i.e. when you start a game.
    Correct, the lights actually look like they are up inside the 2 GPU fans on the bottom of the GPU (when plugged in). Like above the 2 fans.

What model do you have? Because the standard models dont seem to have LED's at all, and im not even sure the higher end one does:
    https://www.pny.com/geforce-gtx-1060...TX10606XGPB-OC

Not to mention that is a 6gb model lol.

And this is the only 3gb model on their site:
    https://www.pny.com/geforce-gtx-1060...=VCGGTX10603PB

Are you sure the LED isnt on your motherboard?

15+ Year Old Account
    Correct, the lights actually look like they are up inside the 2 GPU fans on the bottom of the GPU (when plugged in). Like above the 2 fans.
    You're fine, it's just the inherent load indicator.
    The fans turn red when you launch a game and are white when they are idle or extremely low load.

Okay just checking making sure it isn't a power problem.

And the actual GPU is PNY 1060 3GB OC.

Here is a picture of it when its white, it keeps turning red. But as Evildeffy said above me it just indicates load on the GPU.

http://imgur.com/a/NVREZ

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh Good God... the cable management > : (

Ya those are fan LED's lol, and that isnt the 3gb model. You have the 6gb xlr8 model i linked above, that is nearly a 300 dollar GPU
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-01-06 at 02:05 AM.

It is definetly a 3GB card

It is definetly a 3GB card
    Odd because every review ive seen on it lists it as 6gb's, and i cant even find a 3gb model for sale. Either way its just fan LED's and the red probably signifies GPU load.

Yea, every hardware detector I have used and the sticker on it says 3gb. But thanks for helping out just making sure it wasn't a sign of a bigger problem. Thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

I have one last question, this will probably be a stupid question to you guys but I would rather have the information than not.

So my GPU has 1 8 pin PCIe port. The same GPU also came with a 2 6 pin PCIe to 8 pin PCIe converter or (molex).

Now, my PSU has a 2 + 6 pin PCIe (8 pin) connector on one "lead" or "rail" (12v I am assuming). On that same rail or lead, it has a second 2 + 6 pin PCIe coming off of the first PCIe connector. As in, wires leading from the first PCIe connects to a second PCIe connector.

So my question becomes, how does 2 PCIe being on the same lead effect their wattage delivery to the GPU. Should I use the 2 6 pin to 8 pin converter with 6 pin pcie that are cascaded onto eachother, or should I just use the 1 2 + 6 pcie to connect the gpu. Or does this not matter any way and will not effect anything. (I also have read that unless you can't help it to never use a y splitter to a GPU).

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, every hardware detector I have used and the sticker on it says 3gb. But thanks for helping out just making sure it wasn't a sign of a bigger problem. Thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

I have one last question, this will probably be a stupid question to you guys but I would rather have the information than not.

So my GPU has 1 8 pin PCIe port. The same GPU also came with a 2 6 pin PCIe to 8 pin PCIe converter or (molex).

Now, my PSU has a 2 + 6 pin PCIe (8 pin) connector on one "lead" or "rail" (12v I am assuming). On that same rail or lead, it has a second 2 + 6 pin PCIe coming off of the first PCIe connector. As in, wires leading from the first PCIe connects to a second PCIe connector.

So my question becomes, how does 2 PCIe being on the same lead effect their wattage delivery to the GPU. Should I use the 2 6 pin to 8 pin converter with 6 pin pcie that are cascaded onto eachother, or should I just use the 1 2 + 6 pcie to connect the gpu. Or does this not matter any way and will not effect anything. (I also have read that unless you can't help it to never use a y splitter to a GPU).
    Always try to use the native connectors on your PSU, in essence only the 6+2 pin.
    In terms of power delivery it's fine as both deliver a potential of 150W.
    But the more cables you add in a chain the less efficient it becomes to due resistance.

That and it looks butt ugly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Oh Good God... the cable management > : (
    What cable management? ;p

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Odd because every review ive seen on it lists it as 6gb's, and i cant even find a 3gb model for sale. Either way its just fan LED's and the red probably signifies GPU load.
    I can allso only find a 6GB version with OC and LED's.

The card must be label wrong. The only 1060 card with OC, LED's and the design your card has, is this geforce gtx 1060 xlr8 gaming oc
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    Install HWInfo or something similar, they'll tell you exactly what it really is.

It is a 3gb card once again. As previously stated 4 hardware detector programs have all labeled it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvid...?skuId=5613853

Appears to maybe be a BB only version or something.

And sorry I am not used to building computers. I wouldn't make fun of you because you know a fraction of what I do about biology. So continuously poking fun at the cable management is getting old.

7+ Year Old Account
    And sorry I am not used to building computers. I wouldn't make fun of you because you know a fraction of what I do about biology. So continuously poking fun at the cable management is getting old.
    If we want to talk about subjects we're adept at, this is called negative reinforcement. By poking fun at you for it, you'll remember this the next time you build a PC and want to make sure your cable management game is on point. Also it really is better for the long-term health of your PC. You can find videos on YouTube, and I'm sure some of these guys would be more than willing to help you out, if it's something you want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    You are in the demon hunter forum, otherwise known as the 7.0 hype train. Why did you board the hype train if you don't wish to participate in hype train activities?

It is a 3gb card once again. As previously stated 4 hardware detector programs have all labeled it.

Appears to maybe be a BB only version or something.

Wow I was pretty certain that the 1060 6GB cards were around this same price