Page 1 of 2
LastLast

US could be without critical Ambassador posts filled on Jan. 20th.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/05....html?referer=

President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition staff has issued a blanket edict requiring politically appointed ambassadors to leave their overseas posts by Inauguration Day
    In the past, administrations of both parties have often granted extensions on a case-by-case basis to allow a handful of ambassadors, particularly those with school-age children, to remain in place for weeks or months.
    There's been a lot of signs of a purge coming among general governmental staff. We're seeing another sign here, at the cost of a smooth transition.

- - - Updated - - -

Further signs of a possible purge:

GOP revives rule allowing them to change specific employees compensation.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-gov-employees

Trump Transition team demands names of people who worked on climate policy from DoE
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald...climate-232424

Trump Transition team seeks names of people who worked on gender issues policy from DoS
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/us...tion.html?_r=0

Its worth remembering that purging employees for political reasons can be super illegal.

How critical? Iraq, Russia, Turkey critical? Or Peru, Tanzania, Switzerland critical?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    How critical? Iraq, Russia, Turkey critical? Or Peru, Tanzania, Switzerland critical?
    Anyone who isn't named and confirmed in the next 15 days.

Well Trump did try to bribe talent managers and agents for ambassadorships to get talent for Inauguration. So maybe Ted Nugent's agent will get a post.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Is anybody surprised?

Look at how much Obama is trying to fuck shit up before he gets booted out.

Why would Trump want to keep any remnant of the Obama Administration around?

They are a possible risk to his Presidency.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    Why would Trump want to keep any remnant of the Obama Administration around?
    Because having most of your ambassador posts empty is a bad thing.

I'm surprised Trump hasn't appointed that one daughter of his ambassador. The one he is embarrassed to show publicly, because he probably thinks she is ugly.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Because having most of your ambassador posts empty is a bad thing.
    Who needs ambassadors when you can just piss off every country yourself on Twitter?

#MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I'm surprised Trump hasn't appointed that one daughter of his ambassador. The one he is embarrassed to show publicly, because he probably thinks she is ugly.
    Tiffany? Pretty sure he prefers to not think about her.

Anyone who isn't named and confirmed in the next 15 days.
    False. http://www.afsa.org/list-ambassadorial-appointments

The people in question are the ones that have "political by their name." The rest are career diplomats (they rose through the ranks of the foreign service).
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

Tiffany? Pretty sure he prefers to not think about her.
    I didn't even know her name and too lazy to look it up. We all know it is because of here looks. Donald is pretty shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by INVASMANIXOXOXO View Post

The people in question are the ones that have "political by their name." The rest are career diplomats (they rose through the ranks of the foreign service).
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

10+ Year Old Account

Although quite a few key diplomats will be tossed. UK? France? Canada? Germany? Mexico?

Yeah, leaving those posts open is going to be such a good thing...

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
    He asked what countries will lose their US ambassadors, you said all of the ones that aren't confirmed within the next 15 days. I was correcting you saying that it only concerns political appointments (these still make up a significant portion and are in some very important countries).

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Although quite a few key diplomats will be tossed. UK? France? Canada? Germany? Mexico?

With the exception of Mexico, from what I've read the ambassadors to the type of countries that you mentioned are there to grease the wheels of business and have cocktail parties in European capitals. There are notable exceptions like China and Israel (maybe they need a person so specifically qualified that they can't be found in the foreign service), but there is a trend imo look at the shitty countries where diplomacy is probably a big deal and most of them have career guys and then look at the nice european countries or countries with nice beaches and it seems like there is a split. All of that being said these positions are usually vacated soon after a new president comes in, but Trump is just giving them less time to pack their bags. A dick move, and unnecessary for sure, but it is not like he is gutting our diplomatic leadership world wide or anything like that.
    Last edited by INVASMANIXOXOXO; 2017-01-06 at 03:39 AM.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

He asked what countries will lose their US ambassadors, you said all of the ones that aren't confirmed within the next 15 days. I was correcting you saying that it only concerns political appointments (these still make up a significant portion and are in some very important countries).
    Thought that was a given. /shrug

And like I said in the OP, the significant concern here is the seeming purge to come.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

Yeah, basically every country of significance is a political appointment. Most significant career positions I can find are Turkey and Jordan.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't even know her name and too lazy to look it up. We all know it is because of here looks. Donald is pretty shallow.
    Well he can't be THAT shallow. Have you seen Ivana Trump?

OnT: Ambassadors do change often, though it is kind of odd not to give a grace period for the change over. Yet at the same time any Ambassadors that didn't start planning for it once the EC voted in Trump are a little silly.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2017-01-06 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    Well he can't be THAT shallow. Have you seen Ivana Trump?
    This one flew over your head. Huh?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This one flew over your head. Huh?
    How so? You said it was because of her looks because he is Shallow and I made a joke about his ex-wife not being particularly stunning herself.

Not sure why liberals have been on Trump about "taking too long" to appoint people to cabinet / diplomatic posts.

Even David Axelrod, Obama's campaign manager for for his election, said it makes the democrats look petty and is unfair to President elect Trump.

Ignoring the obvious bias however, throughout history presidents have been appointing donors / friends to diplomatic positions that had no qualifications. One of Obama's appointments in his second term hadn't even been to the country he was appointed to.

Thank god for Trump, cause it's time to DRAIN THE SWAMP. MAGA!

10+ Year Old Account

Edit:

With the exception of Mexico, from what I've read the ambassadors to the type of countries that you mentioned are there to grease the wheels of business and have cocktail parties in European capitals. There are notable exceptions like China and Israel (maybe they need a person so specifically qualified that they can't be found in the foreign service), but there is a trend imo look at the shitty countries where diplomacy is probably a big deal and most of them have career guys and then look at the nice european countries or countries with nice beaches and it seems like there is a split. All of that being said these positions are usually vacated soon after a new president comes in, but Trump is just giving them less time to pack their bags. A dick move, and unnecessary for sure, but it is not like he is gutting our diplomatic leadership world wide or anything like that.
    Maybe, but considering the crucial cooperation we need form our allies in terms of terror intel, Id say they are also fairly important. Although Canada's is probably on the losest end of importance in terms of the politically appointed.

Although wtf with getting rid of Mexico's, although it fits in with Trumps hostility to Mexico I guess.