Poll: Should dogs be executed if they bite?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Case by case evaluation should be used to determine life and death matters that have time to be evaluated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Should dogs be executed if they dog
    I'm sure the OP would also consider it right to "execute" a cat if it bites a human/kills other animals. I've seen cats go from cuddly to biting/scratching with such power that they draw blood in a split second, so I'm guessing quite a lot of cats would be coming in for "execution" in the first months of such a law being formed. A cat lover once said to me that he's accepted the fact that if cats grew to weigh 25-30kg by default, his favourite pet would be slapped with a ban.

I've always been of the clear conviction that I rather face a badly socialized, bred-for-profit kavkazskaja ovtjarka male than try my hands at handling a cat that's pissed off/scared.

On topic but unrelated to kitties;

Most dog "bites" that become serious enough to warrant treatment (and thus can be part of statistics) are actually by accident. As in, they happen during play or when someone's trying to separate 2 dogs that have gotten into a fight.

"It's estimated that 70-80 million dogs and 74-96 million cats are owned in the United States. Approximately 37-47% of all households in the United States have a dog, and 30-37% have a cat". (Source: APPA, ASPCA)

For 2016, there were 14 fatalities reported where dogs (total of 19) were involved in the US. Anyone care to count the percentage on that? Now count all the humans being killed or maimed by other humans...

In Sweden there are 800k (registered, we don't have strays and shit running around the streets though) dogs and I can't find a single case of fatalities. There have been quite a few fatalities from Horses though, so guess this means horses should also be signed up for execution on principle if they ever harm a human...? Be it from bucking or biting or kicking...

I kid, only someone eager to come across as a clown would think in such ways.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-01-07 at 12:41 AM.

It's hard to simplify. For example I think if they actually seriously injure someone, yes, but I also think that the thread we had about police officers shooting dogs who simply reacted by spazzing and barking, that that was bad. If we went that far, my family's awful, noisy terrier would've been dead years ago.

I've also been bit several times working at the local animal shelter, usually due to trying to introduce myself to them too fast. All those dogs have been rehabilitated and found loving homes by this point.

Quite frankly I don't have a simple yes/no answer, it's situational.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    No.

That's the one off answer to your question.

Long one is that it's situational, I work part time as a petsitter/ homesitter/ dogwhateverthefuckyouwantmetobe; I was recently bitten by a newfoundland who was as sweet as anything, long story short she was abused and being fostered to test for instabilities and I was unlucky enough to find out wearing loud shoes at night near her freaked her out.

I don't blame the dog even despite the scar on my palm.

10+ Year Old Account
    i say we euthanize people who suggest euthanizing dogs.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Situational.
    If say a dog broke out its back yard and immediately attacked a child who happened to be walking by? Yup.
    If a person was willfully provoking a dog or came into its yard/property? No.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

"Dog, what would you like your last meal to be before we execute you?"
    Dog: "my poop, please"
    But really though, executing something like a Pomeranian would definitely put the "cute" in execute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No. I've been bitten by my dog several times, every time there was barely enough of a scratch to draw blood and I know for a fact I could overpower him if I needed to since he's so tiny. He's not a naturally aggressive dog, he's just a complete twat when he doesn't get his way.

One of my other dogs caught me with his teeth accidentally while jumping up to greet me with his mouth open, the law would require him to be put down despite him never having the intention to harm me.

At the end of the day it's down to the owner, not the dog. If a dog is aggressive then have him muzzled. If an aggressive dog bites someone then have it's teeth removed. There's no need to kill them.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Situational.
    If say a dog broke out its back yard and immediately attacked a child who happened to be walking by? Yup.
    If a person was willfully provoking a dog or came into its yard/property? No.
    Well said. In extreme situations like this, it makes sense, but there are times where a dog has been abused or is provoked and will lash out. Training can help in a lot of situations, but if a dog has attacked people multiple times, it should definitely be put down. Primarily, I think there should be weighty fines on the owner, and compensation towards the victims.

I'm also talking like, serious bite in order to cause damage and harm, rather than dogs being a little rough and rowdy with their play and nipping.

This is coming from someone who loves dogs, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    No. I've been bitten by my dog several times, every time there was barely enough of a scratch to draw blood and I know for a fact I could overpower him if I needed to since he's so tiny. He's not a naturally aggressive dog, he's just a complete twat when he doesn't get his way.

One of my other dogs caught me with his teeth accidentally while jumping up to greet me with his mouth open, the law would require him to be put down despite him never having the intention to harm me.

At the end of the day it's down to the owner, not the dog. If a dog is aggressive then have him muzzled. If an aggressive dog bites someone then have it's teeth removed. There's no need to kill them.
    I think you would have to have a victim contact the authorities in this scenario and it would have to be under some strict guidelines.

A dog is essentially livestock and the safety of humans should always come first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    I think you would have to have a victim contact the authorities in this scenario and it would have to be under some strict guidelines.

A dog is essentially livestock and the safety of humans should always come first.
    They're not very strict with those guidelines over here. Too much value is put on human safety, even when the dog is attacking a burgular or some other piece of human garbage. A dog so much as dribbles on a human and it's put down.

7+ Year Old Account
    Its far from a black and white situation. Having grown up with and around dogs I was bit many times and not once would I have wished one of those dogs to be put down for it. That however is, of course, one end of the spectrum. For dogs that unexpectedly or without provocation randomly attack people... sadly, I don't see an alternative to either locking them away someplace safe or putting them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    They're not very strict with those guidelines over here. Too much value is put on human safety, even when the dog is attacking a burgular or some other piece of human garbage. A dog so much as dribbles on a human and it's put down.
    If it is attacking a burglar than no, the dog should be able to kill the criminal on your property without fear of being killed in my opinion.