Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What do the emotes mean to you?

I usually insta-squelch whenever I play. However, once in a great while I leave it on. The game makes me so salty that I have my own meanings for the emotes. Is this what they really mean to people who are BM'ing?

Thanks - thanks for helping me further my game
    Well Played - you're a terrible player and human being
    Greetings - you are so bad that I forgot you were even there (also used after the game is over and you've won)
    Wow - wow, I can't believe what a dumbass play that was
    Oops - oops, you made a play that is going to help me win
    Threaten - used at end of game when I've won

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ..and is it all the fault of the toxic community and Blizzards incompetence that made you the way you are?
    Not sure what you are trying to imply. I am simply making a fun post about the emotes. Does everything have to be so grim around here?

You mean you are "not sure what I am implying" in response to a post that contains:

-The game makes me so salty
    -you're a terrible player and human being
    -I can't believe what a dumbass play that was
    -you are so bad that I forgot you were even there

Okay, good luck with your "fun post"
    Apparently you don't get tongue in cheek humor. That's OK.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure the sorry button was removed becauase people spamed that shiat to annoy you after a play.

The "Greetings" button is used after you play a big minion that you know the enemy will be pretty much focked.
    *plays N'zoth* *My Greetings*

I pretty much never, ever never BM in Hearthstone. I only use the WoW button after a incredible RNG moment, Mistake button after i see a bad play and i always click Well Played when i lose.
    I never catch people BM'ing me that much. Can't remember the last time.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-01-06 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I'm pretty sure the sorry button was removed becauase people spamed that shiat to annoy you after a play.

The "Greetings" button is used after you play a big minion that you know the enemy will be pretty much focked.
    *plays N'zoth* *My Greetings*

I pretty much never, ever never BM in Hearthstone. I only use the WoW button after a incredible RNG moment, Mistake button after i see a bad play and i always click Well Played when i lose.
    I never catch people BM'ing me that much. Can't remember the last time.
    I pretty much get BM all the time which is why I always squelch. The one time I forget and leave it on, I'll usually get a thank you or something if I make a play that helps him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I literally have muted every single person in every single game since like my third game in the Alpha - I have to focus on what to play/what my opponent is going to do when I play what I play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by patseguin View Post
    I pretty much get BM all the time which is why I always squelch. The one time I forget and leave it on, I'll usually get a thank you or something if I make a play that helps him.
    Really? That's strange...do the pros always BM? I'm rank 13 because i refuse to play pirate warrior to easily get to rank 8 or 7 and i never see annoying people.

Or maybe i just forget about it because i'm like that. I tend to always say Well Played after i lose and everything.

How I use the emotes:

Thanks - Thank you for giving me a "Well Played" after I made a really interesting choice that I did to better myself on the board. OR Thanks for making a reeeeeally bad/accidental play and giving me something.
    Well Played - You did a great play, good job! OR Good Game!
    Greetings - Hello. OR Could you please take your turn? You AFK'd for the last 60 seconds...
    Wow - HOLY CRAP THAT RNG! OR alternative to Well Played
    Oops - ... Fuck, I really messed up. OR I use "Oops" to goad them into making an obvious play because I make them think I fucked up, but I actually didn't.
    Threaten - Used if I'm 1 HP off of lethal and I can't get to them, and they end up winning. OR They were incredibly annoying and deserved it.

When others use the emotes:

Thanks - "Lol you fucked up, thanks for being a bad"
    Well Played - GG, though usually "Lol you dumb ass"
    Greetings - "Hello". OR To troll me
    Wow - This is like the only one I ever see used correctly, and people typically use it how I do.
    Oops - This one too, like Wow.
    Threaten - "GOD DAMMIT LET ME WIN ALREADY!"
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    I pretty much instant-squelch my opponents and don't care what my opponent is trying to say. The emotes are just too ambiguous to ever know what your opponent is trying to say, which is also why I avoid emoting myself. Even if I would genuinely like to say "gg, fun game," I have no control over how my opponent will perceive it.

Every emote is bm. I would like auto squelch.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I use them.

Well Met: Hello/lol get shrekt, loser.
    Well Played: Lucky lucky lucky.
    Wow: I'm having fun at your expense/I forgot Blizz killed "my apologies".
    Oops: That was dumb/(as Khadgar/Jainels) lol get shrekt, loser.
    Threaten: We're all just having a genuinely good time and you're a real top bloke.

It's funny how threaten is the only emote I can't use to troll with.
    Last edited by Frumpy Frumpy Frak; 2017-01-07 at 06:22 AM.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hit mute as soon as the game starts...

They do nothing to me lol. I never squelch either, funny how people let emotes trigger them. The only time I emote, is right before I beat my opponent, and thats if they were spamming first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

In my opinion if you're playing against someone who doesn't get triggered by video games easily then the emotes mean exactly what they do at face value during games, and you can tell that the other player isn't just trolling. However, I feel that all of them are just BM tools when you're winning and the other person is mad (Completely agree with your perception about the threaten emote ), the other person is winning and are trying to see if them rubbing it in will trigger you, or the other person is bored and is using the emotes to pass the time during games.

For me, Thanks is almost always a bm emote for me to use. I don't see how telling your opponent thanks in Hearthstone can mean anything else unless it is used during specific niche situations (such as for intentionally helping you win during co-op tavern brawls or conceding against you at the very start of a match, allowing you to complete your quest sooner). Wow can also be a bm tool when I use it, or simply an honest rng announcement for any of mine or my opponent's plays.

..and is it all the fault of the toxic community and Blizzards incompetence that made you the way you are?
    *Eyeroll*, again with the ignorant scapegoating of Blizzard for a common type of human behavior largely prevalent in online gaming since forever. Really this behavior was common long before electronic games or the internet was invented. Competition in any form has always presented opportunity to create pleasure in individuals by demeaning their efforts to beat the other guy, just as toxic behavior also created opportunities for people to not like people demeaning them during games or other forms of entertainment. Although, sure we can pretend that "Blizzards incompetence" created this all (Hint: As much as I enjoy Blizzard games they are not so important in the world or life that the problems that exist in their games originated & were caused by Blizzard alone).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    I just hit mute as soon as the game starts...
    I usually do if they are winning and already bming, or if they are going to win soon (though if I enjoyed the game I'll leave it on). I honestly find it surprising how many players actually do bm emote you at the end when they win even if you weren't bming them or using a deck like aggro or something. If I did squelch them, but I then turned it around I will unsquelch them just to hear them bm. Honestly I take some amusement if people are angry about losing and are trying to use the emotes as some unofficial revenge tactic to throw out there or something. I mean it is just a game, are there really that many people who get angry over video games & people who may beat them? lol xD

I actually use Emotes as they should ... most of the times.

Greetings - At the start, or when I'm about to unleash lethal (because there is no goodbye button)
    Well Played - At the end, before I win and it was an interesting game/deck or if he makes a giant swing turn, often reliant on RNG (took the risk & got the reward)
    Thanks - When someone says Well Played at the end of a game, or randomly if I copy/discover cards from them. Often mindgaming if the cards are weird/situational, because they end up staying in my hand so long they think it's a Rag or Yogg or the likes.
    Wow - massive RNG swing from either side or just a really unexpected but succesful card choice being played.
    Oops - When I make a mistake or I see them make one. Sometimes use it when I make an unconventional move that preps for something they don't expect, because mindgames.
    Threaten - Rarely use it, tends to be a reply to emote spam just before I mute them.

So yeah, I do use emotes to try and engage with my opponent, depending on what rank I'm at I will try & help newer players or simply try and mindgame them to get ahead. If you fall for it, "sorry", if not or you mute me, don't care, I enjoyed the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks - Thank you
    Well Played - If they made a good play
    Greetings - Greetings, or to spam back after the enemy spammed it the entire game but started losing
    Wow - After something cool happens, like a huge swing in RNG
    Oops - When I make a mistake
    Threaten - I very rarely use this, but it's mostly if I'm all out and the enemy does a board clear

@patseguin Don't assume everyone's an asshole, it makes you an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Deztru View Post
    @patseguin Don't assume everyone's an asshole, it makes you an asshole.
    Not everyone is, but I feel that close to 50% of my games at least end in a BM emote, whether or not it is a win on their end. I think that is pretty mind boggling that so many people do that, but maybe I just wouldn't expect that many people to feel the need to use emotes in such a way.

Greetings - (At start of game) "Hi, hello. We're both human beings and fellow HS players. Let's have a fun game."
    Greetings - (If I'm Tyrande before combo or it's Winterveil, at the end of the game before I win) - General BM - "Happy feast of Winterveil loser!"*

*Results may make people send friend requests just to call you a "sad fuck" that got bullied in school

Thanks - (If an enemy priest uses hero power heal on me or my minions (obviously when we're at full health at the start of the game)) "Thanks for the heals, fam."
    Thanks - (When you play priest and Entomb something nice.) "Thanks for the Tirion, faggot. I'll be sure to take good care of him."

Well Played - (When the opponent plays a turn well) Rarely happens, but "good job, I didn't think you'd be able to come back from that but your turn was better than I thought possible."
    Well Played - (End of game) "Good game. GG."

Wow - "Wow. That was...surprising." Mostly used if big RNG doesn't go your way.

Oops - Used only if something goes wrong. "That was not quite what was planned. That didn't hit the mark." Something small, like if Flame Juggler misses killing a minion.

Threaten - Used when you're about to make an epic comeback after being in a losing position, before you throw a card down. Here's a good example of Threaten and Wow (gif on imgur).

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    In my opinion if you're playing against someone who doesn't get triggered by video games easily then the emotes mean exactly what they do at face value during games, and you can tell that the other player isn't just trolling. However, I feel that all of them are just BM tools when you're winning and the other person is mad (Completely agree with your perception about the threaten emote ), the other person is winning and are trying to see if them rubbing it in will trigger you, or the other person is bored and is using the emotes to pass the time during games.

For me, Thanks is almost always a bm emote for me to use. I don't see how telling your opponent thanks in Hearthstone can mean anything else unless it is used during specific niche situations (such as for intentionally helping you win during co-op tavern brawls or conceding against you at the very start of a match, allowing you to complete your quest sooner). Wow can also be a bm tool when I use it, or simply an honest rng announcement for any of mine or my opponent's plays.

*Eyeroll*, again with the ignorant scapegoating of Blizzard for a common type of human behavior largely prevalent in online gaming since forever. Really this behavior was common long before electronic games or the internet was invented. Competition in any form has always presented opportunity to create pleasure in individuals by demeaning their efforts to beat the other guy, just as toxic behavior also created opportunities for people to not like people demeaning them during games or other forms of entertainment. Although, sure we can pretend that "Blizzards incompetence" created this all (Hint: As much as I enjoy Blizzard games they are not so important in the world or life that the problems that exist in their games originated & were caused by Blizzard alone).

- - - Updated - - -

I usually do if they are winning and already bming, or if they are going to win soon (though if I enjoyed the game I'll leave it on). I honestly find it surprising how many players actually do bm emote you at the end when they win even if you weren't bming them or using a deck like aggro or something. If I did squelch them, but I then turned it around I will unsquelch them just to hear them bm. Honestly I take some amusement if people are angry about losing and are trying to use the emotes as some unofficial revenge tactic to throw out there or something. I mean it is just a game, are there really that many people who get angry over video games & people who may beat them? lol xD
    Does everything you post have to be an essay good lord man. I'm going to start a poll asking if people actually read this crap.

Please post constructively.
    -Colmadero
    Last edited by Colmadero; 2017-01-09 at 08:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Not everyone is, but I feel that close to 50% of my games at least end in a BM emote, whether or not it is a win on their end. I think that is pretty mind boggling that so many people do that, but maybe I just wouldn't expect that many people to feel the need to use emotes in such a way.
    In my experience, and I've actually paid some attention to it, the number is close to 9/10 will BM at the end. It's kind of staggering actually.