Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question What should I do if I like pvp but also like being a tank???

Since I started playing wow (last year) I was really thinking about creating a tank, because of the playstyle and the feeling of taking a lot of damage without dying. But other thing that I also liked was the pvp. I recently discovered that tanks aren't viable to pvp. What should I do now??? Sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play a different MMO, caus WoW ain't gonna do that for you.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

But if I want to keep playing what would you recommend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't PvP or play something other than a tank in PvP.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Thank you, i will search for other class

Tanks aren't viable? Depends what map. FC maps tanks can still be viable. Or maps with a boss that needs to be tanked, ie IoC and AV.

You can't really "tank" a bg as most people will just not aim you. All you can do is be a pain in the ass to your enemies, support your team with cc etc, sit on their healers so they either get locked down or dps is forced to start attacking you. I mean aside from that you should probably get a Dps spec going.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

so... should I play a dps or healer?

Depends what you like. Healers are always appreciated though and in short supply usually in bgs.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodmagix View Post
    Tanks aren't viable? Depends what map. FC maps tanks can still be viable.
    Nope, Boomkin are the best FCs in the game, Guardian Affinity+Celestial Guardian=the most durable thing in the entire game in PvP while in bear form, while also being a useful team member when not carrying a flag.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-01-07 at 04:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say in random BGs tanks are very much so viable if you're with a healer or have teammates who know how to reasonably peel for you. As for arena, I believe prot paladin is actually viable in some comps.

You also shouldn't play tank if you enjoy only being tanky. Generally people play tanks to help the their team through utility and CC. You're essentially a healer in terms of supportive capabilities except more offensive.

Play a prot pally and hit harder.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scoli View Post
    I'd say in random BGs tanks are very much so viable if you're with a healer or have teammates who know how to reasonably peel for you.
    Bad advise. In random bg's nobody give a damn about a fellow player, so as tank you're nothing more then useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Bad advise. In random bg's nobody give a damn about a fellow player, so as tank you're nothing more then useless.
    Hence the IF statement :P

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Tank templates got nerfed into the ground, pvp talents dont help them much if they have less hp then outside of bg, and actual + extra damage taken built in.

Blizz clearly wants them to be useless, it's sad.

It's likely different in rated battlegrounds organized groups that work around the weaknesses.

Theres so many stuns/roots and whatever out there, DH vengeance pvp for example is completely useless, no dps, less self healing burst then havoc meta, only 1 talented single target 2 sec stun with better alternatives.

Havoc even has more hp with the 10% hp talent.... And vengeance have a +25% dmg taken in the template.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-01-08 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hultentor View Post
    But if I want to keep playing what would you recommend?
    Wander into arenas and try and bore the opposition to death ... see if they leave

PS: Add a say macro to your taunt so the enemies know when to attack you.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    PS: Add a say macro to your taunt so the enemies know when to attack you.
    lol
    /10 characters

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    I would roll a druide - and easy switch between tank spec for Pve and either dps or healing for pvp. When you get into "capture the flag" style bgs you will be a awesome flag runner no matter what spec you are in.

Deleted
    I hope that Blizzard is going to buff tanks in pvp a bit in 1.1.5. Atleast for random BGs. 25% more damage taken seems too much. 15% would be ok.
    In WoD tanks were viable for random BGs only, they only suffered + 25% dmg taken in Arenas and rated BGs.
    Anyway Protection Paladin can work somehow. Maybe vengeance DH too.