10+ Year Old Account

[TV] The Young Pope

I had 0 good expectations, I was expecting either furious fedora-tipping mayhem or the equivalent of going to church as a kid when all I wanted was to play videogames. The first 5 minutes however blew my fucking mind. Fell instantly in love. It's easily the best tv show of 2016 for me, the writing, setting, acting, characters, dialogue, style and substance are way above anything I've seen in a very long time.

If you liked The Great Beauty and you haven't seen this already, I wonder what the hell you guys are doing.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-01-07 at 10:44 AM.

Deleted
    Jude Law? Color me interested.

I'm hotly anticipating this show. Looks fantastic and fascinating. Catholics are so bizarre to me that even a fictional portrayal carries a huge degree of curiosity for me.

Jude looked great in all the previews I saw as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to hop on to piratebay

Watched the entire season and I am blown away. Best TV series of 2016.

i have watched it and its stupid like shit. The only way this production could ever work is clueless people beeing reconfirmed of their stereotypes about "catholics".

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's no kiddie fiddling in this. Can't be about Catholic priests.

Just finished watching this. Amazingly moving.

I went into it saying "I'll give this an episode or two and see what sort of rightwing/leftwing message they're trying to shove down my throat", and was surprised when they really didn't.

It was emotional without pandering.

10+ Year Old Account
    It pains me to see American media portraying this as "House of cards but with catholics". Is that the best description they could come up with, really?

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    It pains me to see American media portraying this as "House of cards but with catholics". Is that the best description they could come up with, really?
    I can see that angle, but I don't know how to describe it. Even the title fails to adequately describe it. And the ads beforehand were just ridiculously off.

I came into it thinking that I was gonna hate it cuz it was gonna be some kind of "king ralph" type accident where a fratboy becomes pope or something...

That which contradicts, isn't explained, or can't be explained... lends a beauty to the show that I can't think of comparison to.

Amazing show. Jude Law's character constantly keeps me guessing (and cringing).

Deleted
    I tried to watch it, but it's too boring for me ehhh ;/ But my friends mostly just LOVE It ;/

best show is coming back

I haven't seen The Young Pope, but this trailer seems to spoil the outcome of it (if you know anything about how the papacy works).

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I haven't seen The Young Pope, but this trailer seems to spoil the outcome of it (if you know anything about how the papacy works).
    I'd advise against watching this trailer if you haven't seen "season one" yet, but well... cool. I had thought The Young Pope was fine where it concluded, but this is the rare occasion where I'm not completely against them continuing something that concluded well. It certainly can't be confused for a cash grab.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait, greatest tv show of the last years together with Chernobyl, Twin Peaks, The Terror and The Leftovers.