Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Are you seriously suggesting that a brand new player should be able to Rank 1 with one of the most dust-expensive meta decks right off the bat, without putting in the time or effort that literally everyone else has?

That's fucking lunacy
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that a brand new player should be able to Rank 1 with one of the most dust-expensive meta decks right off the bat, without putting in the time or effort that literally everyone else has?

That's fucking lunacy
    Collectable card games are a flawed genre in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    What rank they get is no concern of mine, that's about their skill. I'm saying it's scummy/dumb that Blizzard has this big game they're funding as a big esport, where there are lots of youtubers and streamers showcasing the game, that if a new player wants to join, even if they pay a reasonable amount of money, they can't even catch up.

As to the topic of the thread, I think this game is very new-player unfriendly, even with "Standard." To the specific post I was quoting, it's really not "free stuff" if Blizzard gives a few more incentives (packs, cards) to start people off with.

That $5 deal they had a while back in my opinion was a good example of what they should do going forward.

Maybe make it more specific though, $5 to get a set of cards and a specific class legendary or something. Sure, veteran players can still buy it, but it doesn't help them as much as it would new players.

C'thun, despite being a bit boring to see everywhere for a set time there, was also a move in the right direction I feel. Give everyone the card, and a few extra to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Regardless of how you view people getting things for free it would be nothing short of idiotic for a company for profit not offering any incentives for new players.

The vast majority of players in any type of game genre don't want to be purposefully discouraged from trying it out due to blatant massive disadvantages from the get go.
    Yea, having a disadvantage against people who have played longer /spent more then you.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IS A THING. WHY ON EARTH CAN'T SOMEONE JOIN THE GAME ON DAY ONE AND BE ABLE TO COMPETE ON EVEN GROUND?!?!

THIS SHIT IS ABSURD.

Idiotic indeed.

Maybe I'm just from a weird generation that doesn't need the company that made a game that is free to play to also caress my balls just so I will play it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    What rank they get is no concern of mine, that's about their skill. I'm saying it's scummy/dumb that Blizzard has this big game they're funding as a big esport, where there are lots of youtubers and streamers showcasing the game, that if a new player wants to join, even if they pay a reasonable amount of money, they can't even catch up.

As to the topic of the thread, I think this game is very new-player unfriendly, even with "Standard." To the specific post I was quoting, it's really not "free stuff" if Blizzard gives a few more incentives (packs, cards) to start people off with.
    It takes 1350 dust to make a deck capable of hitting legend. Probably less.

This constant crying with never being able to catch up is just a load.
    Last edited by Ravex; 2017-02-25 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Yea, having a disadvantage against people who have played longer /spent more then you.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IS A THING. WHY ON EARTH CAN'T SOMEONE JOIN THE GAME ON DAY ONE AND BE ABLE TO COMPETE ON EVEN GROUND?!?!

THIS SHIT IS ABSURD.

Idiotic indeed.

Maybe I'm just from a weird generation that doesn't need the company that made a game that is free to play to also caress my balls just so I will play it.
    It doesn't really matter if you disagree seeing as other Blizzard games (WoW especially) continue to make it easier to get to that level ground you mentioned earlier. Expect HS to gradually become easier to get a reasonable foot in, or more, for players just starting the game.

I'm not a new player, but don't mind new people getting better stuff when they join than what I was able to get. Perhaps it is time to stop feeling offended by the concept of a catch up mechanic in online gaming, they are not going away.

It doesn't really matter if you disagree seeing as other Blizzard games (WoW especially) continue to make it easier to get to that level ground you mentioned earlier. Expect HS to gradually become easier to get a reasonable foot in, or more, for players just starting the game.

I'm not a new player, but don't mind new people getting better stuff when they join than what I was able to get. Perhaps it is time to stop feeling offended by the concept of a catch up mechanic in online gaming, they are not going away.
    Thinking it's a stupid idea to give people items other people have earned over time and paid real money for is being offended?

Are you fucking serious?

Thinking it's a stupid idea to give people items other people have earned over time and paid real money for is being offended?

Are you fucking serious?
    If the company wants to attract new blood to pay for their product more enthusiastically then yes you're damn right I am serious.

WoW more or less does the exact thing. It just isn't always obvious. What else do you think is going on when WoW players get "welfare epics" that are at the same ilvl or higher than previous raiding or pvp tiers/seasons from the current expansion? Blizzard is giving those new or returning players gear equivalent to what other players had achieved when potentially paying for their sub longer than those getting the free gear. It's called offering deals to get people to play.

If new players got nothing for joining after who knows how many expansions had been released, and then saw the card/deck 'wall' that they had to get to before they could even really participate in ranked play (barring cheap aggro decks) it would unexpectedly turn off new players that might later otherwise have turned into micro transaction paying customers. Also, if Blizzard truly wants more players to get involved in wild play then they don't want a card wall that prevents new players from ever catching up to the quality of decks veteran players have & use to destroy new players in lower wild ranks.

In the end Blizzard is a company & in that company profit > appeasing customers who don't want new players getting the HS version of welfare epics.

This is hardly a new concept in the industry so I really fail to see why you are complaining about this now.
    Last edited by Pantalaimon; 2017-02-25 at 08:36 AM.

If the company wants to attract new blood to pay for their product more enthusiastically then yes you're damn right I am serious.

WoW more or less does the exact thing. It just isn't always obvious. What else do you think is going on when WoW players get "welfare epics" that are at the same ilvl or higher than previous raiding or pvp tiers/seasons from the current expansion? Blizzard is giving those new or returning players gear equivalent to what other players had achieved when potentially paying for their sub longer than those getting the free gear. It's called offering deals to get people to play.

If new players got nothing for joining after who knows how many expansions had been released, and then saw the card/deck 'wall' that they had to get to before they could even really participate in ranked play (barring cheap aggro decks) it would unexpectedly turn off new players that might later otherwise have turned into micro transaction paying customers. Also, if Blizzard truly wants more players to get involved in wild play then they don't want a card wall that prevents new players from ever catching up to the quality of decks veteran players have & use to destroy new players in lower wild ranks.

In the end Blizzard is a company & in that company profit > appeasing customers who don't want new players getting the HS version of welfare epics.

This is hardly a new concept in the industry so I really fail to see why you are complaining about this now.
    First off fuck off with saying I'm complaining by disagreeing.

I'm glad that you have figured out the most basic of basic business models.

I'm sad that you haven't figured out it does not apply to all games, namely this one.

We are not talking a comparison of giving welfare epics out that are a tier behind. We are talking about giving Titan forged Mythic Raiding gear out to trial accounts while allowing them to also level to max and partake in everything a paying sub can do. Oh did you miss the fact that in your examples EVERYONE is already a paying customer?

See Jester has the right idea, you give a free bonus to everyone, and people remain happy. Giving free stuff to none paying customers and giving your paying customers nothing? That's not company profit > appeasing customers. That's Appeasing window shoppers > company profit.
    Last edited by Ravex; 2017-02-25 at 02:08 PM.

This constant crying with never being able to catch up is just a load.
    New players have too hard a time of catching up. Even if a new player spends money to buy packs (let's say a standard of $50 for a brand new expansion), they're still 3-5 expansions + the classic set behind, and they're not even guaranteed useful cards from the packs they spent money on. That's for standard, if they wanted to play Wild they'd be even further behind.

You don't think that's a problem?

It takes 1350 dust to make a deck capable of hitting legend. Probably less.
    Hitting legend isn't winning the game. It's a meaningless grind. If you aren't one of the 200 top people that Blizzard posts the names of in the blog post at the end of each season, then you played the game for nothing (read: played the game for fun).

Grinding ladder with the aggro deck everyone else is playing is hardly "fun". Who wants to join a game just to do that?

Deleted
    Hitting legend isn't winning the game. It's a meaningless grind. If you aren't one of the 200 top people that Blizzard posts the names of in the blog post at the end of each season, then you played the game for nothing (read: played the game for fun).
    No but I believe the point is it only takes a little dust to craft a deck that is capable of plowing through the ladder. Why do the new players need anything more than that? You talk about "catching up" as if it meant building a full card collection, which is just ludicrous. In reality, to match the performance of veterans, all they need is ONE deck. That will allow them to successfully climb the ladder and work through quests.

I don't see the big problem here.

Grinding ladder with the aggro deck everyone else is playing is hardly "fun". Who wants to join a game just to do that?
    Believe it or not, some people find it fun, and it's only the starting point. Card games are about collecting cards, which that first cheap deck will allow them to do. If collecting cards doesn't appeal to them, then I don't see why they are playing HS to begin with. They would be better off finding a game that suits them better.
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2017-02-25 at 08:13 PM.

New players have too hard a time of catching up. Even if a new player spends money to buy packs (let's say a standard of $50 for a brand new expansion), they're still 3-5 expansions + the classic set behind, and they're not even guaranteed useful cards from the packs they spent money on. That's for standard, if they wanted to play Wild they'd be even further behind.

You don't think that's a problem?

So your not even arguing viable deck? You are arguing that new people have far less things then someone who has been around for a long time?

No I see nothing wrong in that at all. As far as not guaranteed to get useful cards from spending money? Yes you are, it's called dust.

Also there is already a catch up mechanic to deal with this very problem, it's called spending money. You don't have to like it, but you can't say it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    No but I believe the point is it only takes a little dust to craft a deck that is capable of plowing through the ladder. Why do the new players need anything more than that? You talk about "catching up" as if it meant building a full card collection, which is just ludicrous. In reality, to match the performance of veterans, all they need is ONE deck. That will allow them to successfully climb the ladder and work through quests.
    ONE deck isn't enough to:

1. Quest. That pirate warrior deck isn't going to help win 3 Shaman/Hunter games or play 5 minions that cost 5 or more. Especially since we have another thread on this forum where half the posters admit that they don't show mercy to new players because their mom told them winning a card game makes them a good person.

2. Adventures, especially heroic mode, you need good cards for.

3. Half the Tavern Brawls want you to use your own cards.

Which are all parts of the game you have to play to get gold or expand your collection.

Once again, the game isn't just ladder or legend.

Believe it or not, some people find it fun, and it's only the starting point. Card games are about collecting cards, which that first cheap deck will allow them to do. If collecting cards doesn't appeal to them, then I don't see why they are playing HS to begin with. They would be better off finding a game that suits them better.
    Collecting cards is great. Except this is an online card game where there's no trading. You just have your account, the randomness of packs, and the horrible dust system.

Oh, and Blizzard loves printing useless cards so you get tons of garbage you don't need. Makes it really easy to progress from that FotM cheap deck you suggest to a better deck.

So your not even arguing viable deck? You are arguing that new people have far less things then someone who has been around for a long time?
    The opportunity to enjoy multiple meta decks for new players is incredibly low, let alone try to create a new deck to beat the meta.

And by "new player" I mean someone who joined HS for a month or two and spent $100. Hell, make it $200.

No I see nothing wrong in that at all. As far as not guaranteed to get useful cards from spending money? Yes you are, it's called dust.
    The dust system is bad for anyone who wants to play Hearthstone for more than one expansion or play more than one deck.

Also there is already a catch up mechanic to deal with this very problem, it's called spending money. You don't have to like it, but you can't say it's not there.
    Do you realize just how much money someone needs to pay to catch up? That's the unfair part.

Deleted

1. Quest. That pirate warrior deck isn't going to help win 3 Shaman/Hunter games or play 5 minions that cost 5 or more. Especially since we have another thread on this forum where half the posters admit that they don't show mercy to new players because their mom told them winning a card game makes them a good person.
    Actually it is. How do you think everybody got started? Even today I can play for a week with nothing but one deck. You have three days to reroll for one that suits you and I have yet to have problems completing all of my quests, whether it is now or back when I got started.

Except those heroic modes are completely optional. You can do the normals with almost any deck you want. The only thing you ever get for heroic is a card back.

Which is not difficult to do. Brawls tend have insanely high RNG, which usually plays a bigger part than the exact cards you pick, and it's not like you need a specific cookie cutter deck to complete them anyway.

Collecting cards is great. Except this is an online card game where there's no trading. You just have your account, the randomness of packs, and the horrible dust system.
    None of what you just said really addresses what I said though, and the dusting system isn't as bad as people make it out to be. You cannot have direct card trading in an online game like this, where every card is easily craftable. It would make collecting completely pointless and I still don't think the dusting system is as bad as people say it is. It doesn't trivialize card collecting, which is the point of a game like this.

Oh, and Blizzard loves printing useless cards so you get tons of garbage you don't need. Makes it really easy to progress from that FotM cheap deck you suggest to a better deck.
    Except those FOTM decks usually last for many months, which is plenty of time to craft the cards for a second and third deck. Actually those "garbage" cards as you called them are precisely what allows you to do that.

First off fuck off with saying I'm complaining by disagreeing.

I'm glad that you have figured out the most basic of basic business models.

I'm sad that you haven't figured out it does not apply to all games, namely this one.

We are not talking a comparison of giving welfare epics out that are a tier behind. We are talking about giving Titan forged Mythic Raiding gear out to trial accounts while allowing them to also level to max and partake in everything a paying sub can do. Oh did you miss the fact that in your examples EVERYONE is already a paying customer?

See Jester has the right idea, you give a free bonus to everyone, and people remain happy. Giving free stuff to none paying customers and giving your paying customers nothing? That's not company profit > appeasing customers. That's Appeasing window shoppers > company profit.
    Are you going to continue to get triggered over something as simple as a random thread on a forum or are you actually going stick to talking about what the thread is about?

I have no idea where you are pulling this idea from that new players getting a catchup equates into the HS equivalent of "Titan forged Mythic Raiding gear". Last I checked I never said in this thread even once that the catch-up mechanic should be to fully complete new players' card collections. If that is the comparison you draw in your mind every time you hear "catch-up" then I think you need to step back from the topic for a minute & realize that you can still have good catch-up mechanics while also still leaving a window for new players to work to catch the rest of the way up reasonably. It doesn't need to be an all or nothing argument.

The problem is if you give the catch-up bonus to everyone than how exactly have new players caught up to older players? They just received the same things that the new people got, thus keeping the gap the same (with the exception of those players who didn't need the bonus to begin with).

Just like I don't understand players in WoW who get so upset over new/returning players getting a leg up, I don't see why HS players care if newbies can get some free stuff. It isn't like it devalues your experience, skill, or collection.
    Last edited by Pantalaimon; 2017-02-26 at 02:08 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't object to them selling some sort of starter decks, but it doesn't take that long for a beginner to get set up with decent decks. Especially when you factor in the yearly set rotation.

Beginners also shouldn't have the expectation of being able to easily reach Legend rank in the first place.

You have three days to reroll for one that suits you and I have yet to have problems completing all of my quests, whether it is now or back when I got started.
    Except there's "Play 15 Overload card" and other niche quests now. And the cardpool is bigger now so it's harder on newer players. Especially since, as another thread on this forum shows, most veteran players refuse to lose or be nice to new players. It's demoralizing for new to not have those quest cards, and then lose [badly] in their games against old players.

Except those heroic modes are completely optional. You can do the normals with almost any deck you want. The only thing you ever get for heroic is a card back.
    Heroic is still content. It's pretty reasonable to assume if someone pays $25 for a "Solo Adventure" they expect to able to complete the content.

Which is not difficult to do. Brawls tend have insanely high RNG, which usually plays a bigger part than the exact cards you pick, and it's not like you need a specific cookie cutter deck to complete them anyway.
    Subjective.

None of what you just said really addresses what I said though, and the dusting system isn't as bad as people make it out to be. You cannot have direct card trading in an online game like this, where every card is easily craftable. It would make collecting completely pointless and I still don't think the dusting system is as bad as people say it is. It doesn't trivialize card collecting, which is the point of a game like this.
    The dusting system is horrible because of all the garbage cards blizzard prints. Getting a pity timer legendary only to be "automatic D/E" isn't cool.

Except those FOTM decks usually last for many months, which is plenty of time to craft the cards for a second and third deck. Actually those "garbage" cards as you called them are precisely what allows you to do that.
    I'd be remiss to admit that there's a long lull between blizzard releasing something, then actually making a balance patch or releasing new content.

I don't think the "this deck will last me a while and in the meantime I'll be able to craft even better decks" scales as nicely as you think.

Just like I don't understand players in WoW who get so upset over new/returning players getting a leg up, I don't see why HS players care if newbies can get some free stuff. It isn't like it devalues your experience, skill, or collection.
    Goddamn man, some of the people on this forum act like HS is some secret fraternity and new initiates need to spend 3 years getting hazed before they can join.

It's a fucking online card game, people.

Are you going to continue to get triggered over something as simple as a random thread on a forum or are you actually going stick to talking about what the thread is about?

I have no idea where you are pulling this idea from that new players getting a catchup equates into the HS equivalent of "Titan forged Mythic Raiding gear". Last I checked I never said in this thread even once that the catch-up mechanic should be to fully complete new players' card collections. If that is the comparison you draw in your mind every time you hear "catch-up" then I think you need to step back from the topic for a minute & realize that you can still have good catch-up mechanics while also still leaving a window for new players to work to catch the rest of the way up reasonably. It doesn't need to be an all or nothing argument.

The problem is if you give the catch-up bonus to everyone than how exactly have new players caught up to older players? They just received the same things that the new people got, thus keeping the gap the same (with the exception of those players who didn't need the bonus to begin with).

Jesus christ stop being an edge lord with trying to belittle me in every fucking post you make. I'm not offeneded, I'm not complaining, I'm not triggered.

Everything I have posted, is about this topic.

Look I'm going to do your thing.

HUR HUR Last time I checked *snort* I never said give them a full set of "Titan foged Mythic Raiding gear" *snort* Even if you give them a couple pieces of that gear (see heathstone cards) It's the same thing *snort*

In hearthstone the previous people have already spent time/money earning these things you just want to hand out cuz reasons.

The only snowflake thing going on here is you wanting a system to treat new people like them.

- - - Updated - - -

Which are all parts of the game you have to play to get gold or expand your collection.

Once again, the game isn't just ladder or legend.

The opportunity to enjoy multiple meta decks for new players is incredibly low, let alone try to create a new deck to beat the meta.

And by "new player" I mean someone who joined HS for a month or two and spent $100. Hell, make it $200.

The dust system is bad for anyone who wants to play Hearthstone for more than one expansion or play more than one deck.

Do you realize just how much money someone needs to pay to catch up? That's the unfair part.
    New players shouldn't be able to enjoy the same things as vets do in a damn collection game, you don't just GIVE people things, its half the point of these types of games.

The dust system is great, and I have been playing since beta.

You should look at some other F2P games before you call hearthstone itself unfair in the real money department. I can pick out a good few off the top of my head that make hearthstone look cheap in compairson.

Goddamn man, some of the people on this forum act like HS is some secret fraternity and new initiates need to spend 3 years getting hazed before they can join.

It's a fucking online card game, people.

Again ccg, you either sink time in or money to get where you want to go. Don't think new people deserve easy mode because they were late for the bus.
    Last edited by Ravex; 2017-02-26 at 05:05 PM.

Deleted
    Except there's "Play 15 Overload card" and other niche quests now. And the cardpool is bigger now so it's harder on newer players. Especially since, as another thread on this forum shows, most veteran players refuse to lose or be nice to new players. It's demoralizing for new to not have those quest cards, and then lose [badly] in their games against old players.
    Aren't those quests even easier though? You don't even need to win, just play X overloads, taunts, spells, weapons or whatever and it's not like these sorts of cards are difficult to come by. Doesn't even take any particular deck-building skill; just stuff your deck with a bunch of X and go play. That's what I did took me like three games to get all my weapons played.

And exactly why should vets lose to new players? We have our own quests to complete and ladder to climb. Do you even want a pity win? I know a great many people who would feel worse if I just started spreading pity for them. If this demoralizes a player, then I don't think this person should be playing this game.

Heroic is still content. It's pretty reasonable to assume if someone pays $25 for a "Solo Adventure" they expect to able to complete the content.
    And they can, once they get craft the required cards. Lets also keep in mind that Hearthpwn is full of budget decks for every heroic encounter in the game. As I said before, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect people to have to collect cards in a card collection game, and lets not kid ourselves, for those $25 you are getting every card in the expansion. How's that for value?

The dusting system is horrible because of all the garbage cards blizzard prints. Getting a pity timer legendary only to be "automatic D/E" isn't cool.
    So even when you get a legendary, it's bad because you didn't get to choose which you got? You are a hard man to please. Lets also keep in mind that you should be DE'ing both good and bad cards, as long as they are not high priority cards. This is something so many new players do wrong, holding onto cards that they think "they might use later."

Yeah... sure, you might but there are higher priority cards that you need for your current deck. So they end up with collections with value that they are not taking advantage of.

I don't think the "this deck will last me a while and in the meantime I'll be able to craft even better decks" scales as nicely as you think.
    Why not?

Hyperbole...

A easy way to help new players would be to up the amount of packs you get from leveling up the heroes .. lets say give new players a classic pack the first 20 times you level up a hero not each hero ofc. just spread out this would give some fast cards and some dust ... not enough to make perfect decks but still something to get started ...

Also thé new thing with you can't drop below x rank when laddering could if done right give the new players some time to get the hang of things before they face the *meta* decks i did not read too much into the new ladder things but something like :

If you hit legend last season you can not drop below rank 5

If you hit rank 15 you can not go below 10 and so on ... of you need a new way to do end season rank rewards but that is a thing that can be solved pretty easy.

Edit: this is from someone that has hit low end legend a few times ( never better then 1000 tho ) and that is playing for the fun of it .....
    Last edited by Drungan; 2017-02-26 at 07:06 PM.