Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    All the people bitching about how college isn't about learning anymore should really take a step back and think about what they actually learned when they were in school. Today's students are studying much harder and learning far more difficult material than their parents ever had to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Making the focus student satisfaction and taking it to this extreme is basically putting the students in charge of the school. I cannot see that ending well.
    Where does it say student satisfaction will be the focus? The article mentions it as one of many factors that also include teaching excellence and preparation for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    All the people bitching about how college isn't about learning anymore should really take a step back and think about what they actually learned when they were in school. Today's students are studying much harder and learning far more difficult material than their parents ever had to manage.
    What, like gender studies?

The only areas more complex today are those of science (including medicine).

Deleted

That older generation were also the ones who discovered what students are learning today. Also that older generation did not have easy access to information with the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    People are hilariously terrified of university students.
    the bullshit they pull on college campuses is orwell's lovecraftian nightmare.

they're goddamned monstrosities that need sense beaten into them until they can barely walk.

bout time someone stood up to these pathetic fucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Meafy View Post
    That older generation were also the ones who discovered what students are learning today. Also that older generation did not have easy access to information with the internet.
    And today's students will grow up and make discoveries that will be taught to future generations, so I don't see what your point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    What, like gender studies?

The only areas more complex today are those of science (including medicine).
    I know it's easy to rag on gender studies, but given how much confusion and misunderstanding there still is between the genders after thousands of years of civilization, maybe this is a topic that is due some scientifically rigorous examination?
    Last edited by Macaquerie; 2017-01-09 at 03:51 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    I have to say that I didn't realize the "safe space" culture was really more than a few small instances that got lots of media attention. Is this sort of thing really that prevalent in colleges today? If so, how do they expect to go into the work force after school? College was a place to expand your experiences. Not to hide from others. This just seems like a really bad idea. Are there any here who've seen this kind of thing happening at your own universities?
    We're I a campus administrator, I'd be kicking these students out, expulsion and a ban for life from the campuses, no refunds on anything.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    And today's students will grow up and make discoveries that will be taught to future generations, so I don't see what your point is.

I know it's easy to rag on gender studies, but given how much confusion and misunderstanding there still is between the genders after thousands of years of civilization, maybe this is a topic that is due some scientifically rigorous examination?
    It's a topic that doesn't offer a career. If you want to study those sorts of things they should be covered as a course for psychology degreees, if anything. Shit like feminist theory and many liberal arts style programs should be yanked from all schools because they offer nothing in terms of career choice. If people want to work at Starbucks the rest of their lives, they don't need a damn degree for it.

Well, this is some doom and gloom. So, people are panicked because customers expect to be satisfied with the product they are paying for? How is that a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    I have to say that I didn't realize the "safe space" culture was really more than a few small instances that got lots of media attention. Is this sort of thing really that prevalent in colleges today? If so, how do they expect to go into the work force after school? College was a place to expand your experiences. Not to hide from others. This just seems like a really bad idea. Are there any here who've seen this kind of thing happening at your own universities?
    Safe spaces are places were minorities (LGBT people, people of color etc) and sometimes women can discuss and learn without being discriminated against or attacked for their identity.

So unless discrimination and open racism, sexism, homophobia etc are openly accepted at most work places they should be doing fine after college.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Safe spaces are places were minorities (LGBT people, people of color etc) and sometimes women can discuss and learn without being discriminated against or attacked for their identity.
    That's the entire university. No one was arguing for attacking people on their identity (except SJWs against straight white males), most of the argument is about being safe from ideas which they disagree with. Btw you shouldn't say people of color anymore since it's discriminatory against people who don't have color.

Deleted
    You can't compare generations when the playing fields are different. Students study more now because they have an easier time getting information.

Amazing how the 'confusion' came to being after that topic was created. I wouldn't mind it if it didn't infect the rest of academia, examples being papers on how Fibre optic promotes toxic masculinity or how the connections between glaciers and patriarchy... it doesn't need rigorous examination it needs a rigorous purging of idiots and ideologues.

Well, this is some doom and gloom. So, people are panicked because customers expect to be satisfied with the product they are paying for? How is that a bad thing?
    I'm sure you've always been of the opinion that schools should be treated like businesses instead of places of academia and learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That's the entire university. No one was arguing for attacking people on their identity (except SJWs against straight white males), most of the argument is about being safe from ideas which they disagree with. Btw you shouldn't say people of color anymore since it's discriminatory against people who don't have color.
    Not really. Which ideas would that be?

And no, the term colored people (which used to exclusively refer to black people) is. Please get it right when sj trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I'm sure you've always been of the opinion that schools should be treated like businesses instead of places of academia and learning.
    In my country we don't pay for it ourselves. If I had to actually pay tens of thousands of bucks sure I would expect them to keep me happy.

You can't compare generations when the playing fields are different. Students study more now because they have an easier time getting information.

Amazing how the 'confusion' came to being after that topic was created. I wouldn't mind it if it didn't infect the rest of academia, examples being papers on how Fibre optic promotes toxic masculinity or how the connections between glaciers and patriarchy... it doesn't need rigorous examination it needs a rigorous purging of idiots and ideologues.
    I can't see how the fact that students study more because they have access to more information is in any way a bad thing.

As for your second point, do you really think that interactions between men and women were just fucking peachy 24/7 before feminism came along?

Not really. Which ideas would that be?

And no, the term colored people (which used to exclusively refer to black people) is. Please get it right when sj trolling.
    One is affirmative action. It can be considered a micro aggression to merely disagree with the idea of affirmative action. A safe space has been a way of shielding students from this.

"People of color" distinguishes those who don't have color as less than those who do. It's very anti-progressive.
    In my country we don't pay for it ourselves. If I had to actually pay tens of thousands of bucks sure I would expect them to keep me happy.
    If you pay for it 100% and if it doesn't have any validity in academia or the workplace, go for it, I hope they make you happy. If you want it to have those latter validities along with tax payer funding, you'll have to have more rigorous intellectual standards in place.

Deleted
    I can't see how the fact that students study more because they have access to more information is in any way a bad thing.
    You were the one comparing how much this generation studies more, and its fascilitated by the amount of information available and ease of access to it

As for your second point, do you really think that interactions between men and women were just fucking peachy 24/7 before feminism came along?
    You said gender studies not feminism. Gender studies is a 'newer' phenomenon.And the jury is still out on whether 3rd wave and gender studies will make things 'peachier' for the sexes especially since they both seem to not accept sexual dimorphism.

Business will soon realize don't hire anyone that graduated from any of these safe space liberal bastion colleges and university they will be risking a lawsuit for hanging the toilet paper the wrong direction in the bathrooms causing the special snowflake emotional damages

Deleted
    Yes, this would be a disaster for some universities.

Look at what's happened in America, look how enrollment is down and budgets are suffering at universities that are hives of socjus activity because coddled "activist" students are acting up, thinking the lecturers exist to make them feel good or that university is somewhere you go to be validated. Nobody that is serious about learning and being challenged wants to attend those institutions now.

So in a way it's also fine. Public opinion is already set against the vocal minority of morons. Let them infest a university that will provide them with high "satisfaction", and let everybody else avoid it once it gains a bad reputation. Let that serve as yet another example of why capitulation to these babies is a bad idea. Let employers know exactly which institutions to write off.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2017-01-09 at 04:42 AM.

You were the one comparing how much this generation studies more, and its fascilitated by the amount of information available and ease of access to it

You said gender studies not feminism. Gender studies is a 'newer' phenomenon.And the jury is still out on whether 3rd wave and gender studies will make things 'peachier' for the sexes especially since they both seem to not accept sexual dimorphism.
    Increased access to information is not the only reason that kids are studying more these days. By and large, the current generation of students doesn't exhibit anywhere near the degree of anti-intellectualism we've seen in the past, so more kids are free to explore their academic interests without being derided as geeks and losers by their peers. Parents today also seem to be much supportive of kids pursuing their own passions, rather than constantly trying to mold their offspring in their own image.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out of the gender studies discussion at this point, as you are seemingly much more well versed on the topic than I. Perhaps you could teach a course.