Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

It's time to remove ARENA

ARENA IS NOT TRUE PVP! Stop this meme.
    1.Blizzard admitted Arena was the GREATEST mistake 7 years ago.
    Blizzard's Rob Pardo Talks Five Years of Warcraft
    Yes, despite the game's massive success, the developers are extremely aware that they've made mistakes, says Pardo. The lack of a proper Looking For Group tool was something he was "really unhappy" to not have at launch, and that tool is only now coming five years later in Patch 3.3. Aside from all of the technological errors like having too few servers at launch to keep up with the demand, Pardo thinks that the single greatest mistake as far as design of the game is concerned was the choice to introduce competitive "e-sports" into the game via Arenas.
    2. Arena is more like MOBA and should not be in a MMORPG. It encourages ZERO social behavior. Why don't you play a true MOBA game (LOL, DOTA, HotS) instead of playing WoW Arena?

3. It ruins the large BG/WPVP. PVE toolkit is always more suitable for BG/WPVP than Arena.

4. It ruins the balance of the game. Blizzard had to balance both raids and arenas and it never worked.

5.https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...629457?page=15
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrigan
    40v40 or other large scale PvP is something that has and always will appeal to the masses. This was at one point an MMO game.

It's amusing that entire servers like Venture Co, Bleeding Hollow and ED were based solely around large scale World PvP. In their prime these were some of the most populated realms in the game.

Wintergrasp and Tol'Borad always brought in a lot of players and having a reward at the end of it didn't hurt either.

Ashran was a solid attempt but was poorly done. I will happily admit that Ashran to me (pre-change to 40v40) was one of my favorite things about WoD.

The argument goes both ways. People who think 3v3 is "real PvP" make laugh. Want small scale? Go play one of those garbage MOBA games. Blizzard tried small scale in WoW and it just isn't working.

Unfortunately large scale now wouldn't work either. Too much AOE, a complete disregard on the assist train, too much damage, too little healing... it just would not work in current WoW.

But hey arena is dead and the tears of the arena kiddies makes me laugh.
    6. Very few people who did arena for fun. In TBC -> WoD people did arena because it was the easiest way to gear up.
    It hasn't worked.
    It never worked.
    It will never work.

I have met very, very few people who did arena for fun. In TBC people did arena because it was the easiest way to gear up.

In WoTLK people did arena because it was the easiest way to gear up.

Same with Cata.
    Same with MoP.
    Same with WoD.

In Legion gear has been removed from arena and... wait... w-what? Nobody is doing it anymore? I wonder why!

It's not fun. Most players don't find it fun. It isn't fun to play or watch. It is silly. It's just silly.

Thankfully statistics back me up on this.
    Watching arena kids try and make a sound argument is always amusing.

Thankfully smart people like me have statistics and logic on our side.

Arena sucks.
    Arena isn't fun.
    Only idiots do arena seriously.

Have fun playing with 20 other people in your dead minigame.

Just make sure you keep trying to convince yourself that you are doing it because it is fun. :^)
    7. Arena is a minigame like mission table/ pet battle.

LOL!

Too bad nobody watches it. MLG dumped arena years ago because it was a joke.

Arena is, has been and always will be a joke. Good riddance.
    The arena minigame is dead. I can't wait for it to be deleted just like 5v5 was.

8. The reason people complain about "PVP" is

HAY GUYZ LETZ PUT SOME REWARDS IN SO WE CAN BRIBE PEOPLE TO PLAY OUR UNFUN MINIGAME!

Plenty of other games out there that do not need to bribe their players to play. Perhaps if arena was fun people would do it?

What a thought! Delete arena.
    I think Horrigan is right. He also explains exactly why people say "PVP is dead" every expansion.

ITT: People acting like arena was ever good. Blizzard removed the gear from arena and people just stopped doing it.

Arena was always the most efficient way to get gear. The moment it was made irrelevant I happily stopped doing it. I only pushed as high as was needed to get whatever item I gave a !@#$ about.

In TBC it was 2k for shoulders.
    In WoTLK it was 2200 for weapon.
    In MoP it was 2500 for tabbard.

Gladiator titles and stupid looking mounts never appealed to me and never will. Besides, the best PvP titles have been and always will be the rank 14 ones.

Arena needs to just die and go away. It isn't a fun system and for the majority of players it never was. Rating, MMR and their stupid insistence on pushing for "e-sport" credibility has caused near irreparable damage.

Where is Wintergrasp?
    Where is Tol Borad?
    Where is TM vs SS?

Why isn't this MMO focusing on MMO content? I don't want to play an MMO to play with two other people in a box. I want to play something like DAoC or GW2 world versus world.

I want those things in WoW. DAoC is old and dead and GW2 lacks a trinity so here I am in WoW.

TLDR: Arena sucks. Arena has always sucked and despite what the stoners who do it tell you it will always suck. They are an extreme minority and seeing them leave this game would be no major loss.

Kill arena and let the healing begin.
    10. Removing Arena is POSSIBLE because 5v5 has been removed.
    You get it. You're a smart one.

The minority of people still doing arena are acting like nobody doing it is awful.

I disagree. Quite the opposite actually.

Nobody doing arena is the first step to arena being removed and all of the achievements being turned into feats of strength.

Before you say "Blizz will never do that!" I would like to ask you where the original honor system is or when the last time you had the option to queue 5v5 was?

The arena kiddies have protected this terrible system for far too long and cited participation numbers as proof of enjoyment. Bottom line is people did it for gear and nothing more.

Gear is gone and arena participation is down the drain. Coincidence? I think not.

I want to return to Horde vs Alliance. I want large scale PvP. I want a reason to lead a PvP guild again. I want the cancer that is arena to be cut out and the mutants that enjoy to head back to whatever little esports meme game of the week they are playing.

Arena is dead. Let's give it the shallow , unmarked grave it deserves.
    Last edited by cqwrteur; 2017-01-09 at 08:50 PM.

And why does that mean that it should be removed? Just move focus out of it if no one is playing it.

If they really think that, why don't they just remove it. No one play arena these days.

Just don't play it then.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

If you are going to use the "minority" participation to prove your point then there can be a lot of content or features argued to be removed.
    Who you or someone else have or haven't met isn't evidence, because you or anyone else have only ever met a tiny proportion of those that participate even in a minority activity.

Plus you are making a very ignorant assumption, or simply ignoring an alternative.
    How you interpret that statement by Rob Pardo is very important.
    That could very easily mean that he thinks it was a mistake using Arena's as the esport gateway.
    That it could or should have been done via battlegrounds.

I personally don't believe WoW to be a good esports game, due to the lack of accessibility as far as understanding goes for a non-knowledgeable audience.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-01-09 at 07:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

They can't just remove it without supporting better PvP elsewhere (to wit: world PvP).

Deleted
    The amount of man-power and hours put into arenas doesn't justify removing it. It's a side game to the main game, that even if only a minority plays, means players are enjoying it, and it doesn't really detract much from the main game in terms of developing time put into it.

Should they focus their spotlight on something other than arenas (for example, during Blizzcon)? Ye, definitely. Removing them altogether? Nah, that's dumb af, and you're dumb for thinking they should do it. Just ignore it like everyone else, and you won't even notice it's there.

I think you're missing the point of the quote.

It's possible it meant that using the Arena for e-sports was the issue, not having the Arena in general.

Deleted
    Nah, it's become an important part of the competitive play in WoW.

It's actually one of the few things in WoW that can be called end-game/diffucult and not made for casuals, assuming they are going for high rating.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Removing" the arena will only piss off the 3 remaining people who enjoy it.

All you have to do is just stop updating it and making new maps. Let it fade into obscurity and die after the next xpac comes out, and it will solve itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone who doesn't even understand why people like to PvP in WoW opposed to other games shouldn't have an opinion on it at all.

How do arenas ruin wPvP and BGs? The only thing that ruins wPvP and BGs is Blizzard's unwillingness to actually balance them properly. wPvP especially this expansion is bad because blizzard is unwilling to activate the stat templates in wPvP.

Also, why do you feel the need to have blizzard remove arenas anyways? What good does it do to you? Seriously, your post reeks of schadenfreude.

In the end the only thing that ruins PvP is Blizzard themselves.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    "Removing" the arena will only piss off the 3 remaining people who enjoy it.

All you have to do is just stop updating it and making new maps. Let it fade into obscurity and die after the next xpac comes out, and it will solve itself.
    They need remove rated pvp. Make alterac valley great again.

Deleted
    Couldn't agree more.

Blizzard should also stop measuring the success of WoW features using only metrics and statistics.

In WoW, it's not because something is popular and played a lot that it's well designed and liked by the players: it's more often just because they want the rewards at the end or it's a mandatory step to do something else they really like to do.

Deleted
    Literally everyone I know play WoW for... Arena. If you don't like it, you're not freaking forced to play it. Jesus. We play Overwatch for pvp's sake, we play skirmish and rated for pvp's sake. Why? Because we love the fluidity and feel of WoW pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just don't play them?

Arenas are a content others enjoy?

I don't play it hardcore, but I have enjoyed it since its entrance.

As well, removing the arena aspect, would just leave PvP wounded, and would need to be replaced. Else, you would be, "have a team (10+), go random, or farm wPvP". You would leave out the small groups of people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    They need remove rated pvp. Make alterac valley great again.
    Ugh, now you are going to say, "they need to remove PvP" right? Because, that is the direction you are going.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Just don't play them?

Arenas are a content others enjoy?

I don't play it hardcore, but I have enjoyed it since its entrance.

As well, removing the arena aspect, would just leave PvP wounded, and would need to be replaced. Else, you would be, "have a team (10+), go random, or farm wPvP". You would leave out the small groups of people.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, now you are going to say, "they need to remove PvP" right? Because, that is the direction you are going.
    I never understand your signature every time I see it. Did yiu only play those xpacs for that amount of time and fully quit
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinexve View Post
    I never understand your signature every time I see it. Did yiu only play those xpacs for that amount of time and fully quit
    Nope, played since launch. Signature used to be a ditch at people whining about leveling in through and to WoD content. Just not been updated.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Me personally I've never found Arenas in any MMO fun at all. I've always prefered large scale PvP to be way more fun, but that doesn't mean they should remove it.

Let's be honest they're doing a pretty good job of killing PvP anyways with this xpac

Your vanilla realm has arena unlocked?

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This many years later I don't care at all, but I do remember being annoyed about arenas back in BC. As someone who really liked BGs, it really bothered me that they had basically tiered PVP, and BGs just become a stepping stone on the way to the bigger and better world of arenas, and that all the best stuff came from arenas, which I had absolutely no interest in.