Any tips for someone who roleplays an Ethereal

If you have anything specific to the roleplaying community I am part of, I am on WRA, alliance side.

Roleplaying a non-playable race takes a damn lot of skill, so I'm going to need some tips from you lovely fellows here at MMOchampion. The posters on this forum seem pretty skilled so I hope that

Yes, actually, I have a tip.

Don't.

Eesh, dude. Relax. I'm not saying I'll do anything absurd like roleplaying a dragon. Ethereals are a relatively manageable humanoid race of average power and only relatively rare on Azeroth - there is a single shop full of them in at least a few cities and said shops are canon since they were involved in the rogue Legendary quest back in Cata, so they're not unknown to the average commoner. Really, the only problem is that they are not actually playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Yes, actually, I have a tip.

Don't.
    Fully agreed.

Again, could I have any specific reasons? They are mostly reasonable from a lore standpoint.

Well first of all I suppose that you would roleplay as someone neutral to factions, you would only care for finding and selling rare artifacts to the best buyer. That would be the normal roleplay of an Etherial. But you can always spice up the things...

Like you where attacked in outlands and X from X faction helped you and you decided that in order to repay the favor you would help X faction by selling them the rarest artifacts or only to your savior.

You could roleplay as a double agent gathering information of the location of the rarest artifacts in Azeroth to get them to The Ethereum.

You could roleplay also as an Etherial who choose to hunt anyone dealing with the Void Lords since you are a survivor of the destruction of your K'aresh by the hands of Dimensius and you think X faction will probably help you the most in your hunt...

And I think you could totally bypass the unplayable race thing since you are a being of pure energy with a soul, and since we are talking about a universe where magic can accomplish many things you could say that you were present at the moment where a "Race" guy lost it's soul by a demon in Outlands and you takeover his/her body facing all odds accepted you and know you live a mortal again...

There many ways you could roleplay as an Etherial but mostly is about Business, Revenge or Power... but you are free to make your own story... Good Luck!
    Last edited by caelestum; 2017-01-13 at 11:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arenchac View Post
    If you have anything specific to the roleplaying community I am part of, I am on WRA, alliance side.

Roleplaying a non-playable race takes a damn lot of skill, so I'm going to need some tips from you lovely fellows here at MMOchampion. The posters on this forum seem pretty skilled so I hope that
    You might get a few ideas from this:

http://destron.blogspot.ca/2008/11/n...rm-part-2.html

Destron's blogs are great reads and his take on the ethereals is really interesting. A lot of it is non-canon of course, but there's enough unknown about the ethereals that you could probably make up some stuff and get away with it anyway. Much of how he describes ethereals seems absolutely believable from what we've seen of them in-game. Here's a few choice bits.

Whatever tongue they use, the ethereals favor flowery descriptions coupled with elaborate formality. This trait usually comes across as either charming or unctuous.
    “The art of the trade is the great joy of this worthless fellow, and I am forever thankful that the Consortium has retained me as a lowly servant,” said one. “I am also thankful to you, my magnificent customer.”

The merchant’s words (though smarmy) did reflect something else that Samej mentioned: the challenge of obtaining power. Making successful trades is very nearly a cultural lynchpin of ethereal society. The merchant did not exaggerate when describing it as an art.
    "Just as the Ethereum will stop at nothing to defeat the Void, the Protectorate recognizes few scruples when it comes to destroying the Ethereum. We appreciate the Protectorate’s efforts but my master wishes they used more finesse. Ethereals and clients sometimes get caught in the crossfire.”

Deleted
    Would make for a nice temporary event-role, but it's nothing I can imagine to work for long. Ethereals have an agenda that's not fully explained via lore. While most are traders (with the occasional princes), we know very little about their origin. Roleplaying with assumptions about your character's very foundation is always risky.

7+ Year Old Account
    also there is like only 1 mog you can use, you would need to be a night elf wearing the rogue lightning armor from first teir of cata... cause etheral really have no armor that looks like them other then that... and well goodluck other then that
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good