Question Disc Macro Question

Are mouse over macros or a mod kinda need to disc efficiently? I ask because I have never used many mods or macros too much because I mainly DPS. but occasionally my guild needs me to heal if we are a bit short. So I thought I would learn disc healing because I like the theory of healing through damage. But something about it escapes me, and I was wondering if making a macro would help improve my performance. Since I dont use many mods I raid with default ui, so when I want to start spreading atonement, I plea 5 people, PWS 6, then start radiencing. But it takes a bit for me to get those pleas out with click, cast, click, cast etc. Is this something I am doing really wrong or is there a separate problem.

2 separate questions:
    1. Are atonement crit heals tied to damage crit, or all individual? Like if I have 10 atonements out and I cast penance, and the penance crits, are the atonement heals more likely to crit? I get that penance crits means more heals in general due to more damage.

2. How necessary are mana regen trinkets? Currently the best mana regen trinket I have is promises maxed out, havent got much luck with spine or in EN. Should I run 2 when I get one? Or should I run 1 mana regen and the vial off dragon for example?

Thanks for advice.

Deleted
    You don't really need mouseover or addons (like cique) to heal, but they cut down the amount of inputs needed. It's totally fine to not use them (I personally played decent amount of ffxiv, a very wow like mmo, but it has no addons, still had no problems healing) and default UI seems to be getting better. Main reason people like things like grid or vuhdoo (or how the fuck you spell it) is to have a clear indicator for your buffs and hots on the raid (atonement and shields for disc).

Disc is rather different from other healers, but it's not entirely "healing through dps", it's more about setup before you can dps to heal. It takes practice over anything else.

Regarding your questions: Atonement healing "crits" when your damage crits, and regarding the trinkets, it's a complex topic. Unlike other healers (in raids that is), disc generally uses same amount of mana for their combo, regardless of their gear and they can't stop spending mana earlier, if damage is healed, because they already spent it spreading atonements. This makes promises a really good trinket, since it reduces the mana spent. Spine is also very popular as it works with PWS. If you don't have them, many discs opt for double stat sticks or even, in most dire cases, cocoon.

Apologies if I got something wrong, as I main holy and don't have the same experience in disc.

Deleted
    For a clearer answer to your specific questions,
    1: yes, all atonement healing is directly tied to the damage done so it will only crit heal if you crit with damage.
    2: two mana trinkets are helpful to get the most out of the class since disc is extremely mana hungry, however disc mana management is entirely down to how you play it and how much healing you are required to output.

For addons, no they are not needed but as myhv pointed out the main reasons are mostly buff tracking and click casting, tracking atonement is really important for disc but as a healer in general you should also be tracking more then just your own abilities to avoid overlapping as much as possible with other healers.

As for casting you don't really need to stick strictly with the 5 plea's method its valuable mana wise but dependant on your timings and group size you will be applying less atonement over a longer time span then if you where to start setting up with Radiance from a zero atonement start point, the difference is only a few seconds in getting all your atonement applied but it means you have less setup time and a bit longer on the dps side before they start falling off, keep in mind though that this will take chunks off your mana, its highly situational, and timing is crucial.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2017-01-11 at 10:22 AM.

I use mouseover macros for all my healing spells and for purge the wicked. Using mouseover just reduces the amount of actions you have to do thought a fight tremendously. Also look up mends disc wreak auras. You can make them yourself but he already made a few of them for emerald nightmare. 10 seconds or so before aoe damage comes out it gives you a cue to start spreading atonement. This can also be done by watching dbm times (which is what the auras track). Also haste is through go to stat for disc, being able to pump out atonement quickly will increase your healing power. You are going about spreading the right way although don't forget to use rapture throughout the fight. It can be easy to tunnel into the radiance spam method and not use all the tools at your disposal (generally though do not stack rapture with lights wrath)

Atonement crits if your damage crits

Yes mana trinkets are a necessity. Disc revolves around expending lots of mana at one time to counter large aoe burst. The play style is somewhat like an arcane mage, burn and conserve. Only thing is we have no evocation :P man's trinkets will keep you mana healthy with long fights and fights with numerous aoe damage windows. Promises and spine are the top choices, but as i have done over 60 BRH m+ without getting spine i use fluctuating energy and have no complaints about it as an alternative.