Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Gun violence is the least-studied cause of death in America

Gun violence is the least-studied cause of death in America
    Gun violence is the least-researched cause of death in America, researchers say. It’s badly understudied and underfunded compared to research on other ways US citizens die.

Gun violence had only 1.6 percent of the funding predicted based on how common gun deaths are — in other words, $1.4 billion should go toward funding gun violence research, but the actual number is only $22 million, according to a study published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
    It only had 4.5 percent of the number of publications expected. In fact, gun violence research was the least-researched cause of death. To make the comparison, researchers took cause-of-death data from 2004 to 2014, and compared that with funding numbers from a database of projects funded by US federal agencies.

Since the study only looked at actual deaths from guns and since so much gun violence causes injuries without death, the actual research gap might be even bigger, according to the scientists.

Nearly 20 years ago, Congress passed the Dickey Amendment, which stipulated that no funds set aside for injury prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention could be used to promote gun control. The legislation doesn’t explicitly ban gun-related research, but people suspect that it has still discouraged this research. The funding for the CDC’s firearm injury prevention fell 96 percent since the amendment passed, according to a January 2013 report.

More study needs to be done on gun violence in order to bring it in line with research into other common causes of death. And while the JAMA study doesn’t explicitly blame the lack of research on the Dickey Amendment, it seems clear that the ban isn’t encouraging anyone to do more work in this area.

It’s crucial for the CDC to better study gun violence so that we have a better chance at understanding it and preventing it from happening again. In recent years, the Dickey Amendment has come under fire due to deaths from the Sandy Hook shooting, Colorado Springs, and Orlando,
    and medical groups have urged Congress to repeal the amendment. This is a move in the right direction, especially when it comes to such an important topic. We need more data and more studies, not less, to save lives.
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/3/141...t-cd-shootings

It's time to remedy this. No reason for research into gun violence to be so underfunded.

I don't mind the CDC being funded as long as they keep themselves from being biased in their research.

By now, even Dickey has said he's fine with the CDC researching this.

One of the dumber things in American politics, and that's saying something. I don't understand why this "HANDS OFF ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH GUNS" is a thing.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    One of the dumber things in American politics, and that's saying something. I don't understand why this "HANDS OFF ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH GUNS" is a thing.
    There are people that know the only person you can rely on is yourself and people that don't. These people know that if you're in harms way, the only person that will save you is you. These people don't want the tools of their deliverance restricted feeling that these restrictions would hinder their ability to defend themselves. Then there are sheep who feel the best defense is removing everyone means of defense. You are very likely one of these sheep and will never understand how the world works. Its ok, you did good, you tried to have an opinion. Now go back into your bubble and let the grown ups talk.
    Shadow Priest Wýcked <Incarnate> Nerzhul
    Death Knight Yzf <RX> Lethon
    Boomkin Yzf <Incarnate> Nerzhul

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'd welcome a study on homicide's,suicides, non domestic related assaults. I can't imagine a study on gun violence would be very long to begin with. Given that they have a budget of 22 million and aren't producing anything just suggests we should stop funding it 100%. Do we need to spend enormous amounts of money to understand that pulling the trigger of a loaded gun while it's pointed at someone will either hurt or kill them?

Before we spend money on this frivolous subject for which the answers are already painstakingly obvious, we should spend money on these areas. These are the leading causes of death in america

Heart disease: 614,348
    • Cancer: 591,699
    • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 147,101
    • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 136,053
    • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 133,103
    • Alzheimer's disease: 93,541
    • Diabetes: 76,488
    • Influenza and pneumonia: 55,227
    • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 48,146
    • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773
    Last edited by Stacyrect; 2017-01-12 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wycked View Post
    There are people that know the only person you can rely on is yourself and people that don't. These people know that if you're in harms way, the only person that will save you is you. These people don't want the tools of their deliverance restricted feeling that these restrictions would hinder their ability to defend themselves. Then there are sheep who feel the best defense is removing everyone means of defense. You are very likely one of these sheep and will never understand how the world works. Its ok, you did good, you tried to have an opinion. Now go back into your bubble and let the grown ups talk.
    0 to personal attacks in 3 sentences and has the gall to refer to himself as a "grown up". Unfortunately, that's not how a debate works. Nowhere did I say anything about regulation, nowhere did I say I'm FOR regulation, nowhere did I say I'm NOT a gun owner, and nowhere did I say removing means of defense is something I want. I just said I'm FOR data. See, data isn't as scary as one would think. Data allows us to make educated decisions rather than just kneejerking with emotion, which judging by your response, is your preferred means. We need less of that.
    Last edited by Bathory; 2017-01-12 at 01:55 AM.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

What are you even going to research with gun deaths? Someone was stupid and someone ended up getting shot. Boom I just provided all the data you needed on 90% of gun deaths. Not to mention at no point do you or the author even mention the ratio of people that die each year to the amount that die to guns.

I'd rather see my tax dollars go towards getting a cure for a mortal disease than study something that doesn't need to be studied because we already know what caused it and it has a solution we can't "cure."

In 2015 there were 2,626,418 deaths in the United States.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Cancer: 591,699
    Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 147,101
    Accidents (unintentional injuries): 136,053
    Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 133,103
    Alzheimer's disease: 93,541
    Diabetes: 76,488
    Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,227
    Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 48,146
    Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773

Wow! Gun related deaths aren't on there. Holy crap. Haven't found the number of gun deaths in 2016, but in 2015 13,286 deaths were from guns. Guess what? That's not even 1% of deaths in the US if you compare it to the overall deaths for 2015. Actually comes out to 0.505%, yes half of a percent.

If you ask me gun death research is GETTING TOO MUCH MONEY. When compared to other causes we could be researching.
    Last edited by Bling; 2017-01-12 at 02:03 AM.

Well, what does the CDC = in Canada report on Gun crime up there Ten?

What is there to investigate? Mentally disturbed people being mentally disturbed? I'm pretty sure we already spend millions on that type of research.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    What is there to investigate? Mentally disturbed people being mentally disturbed? I'm pretty sure we already spend millions on that type of research.
    Is that your genuine perception of what access to Deadly Violence at ease, is? Mental disruption?

This guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    I can't imagine a study on gun violence would be very long to begin with. Given that they have a budget of 22 million and aren't producing anything just suggests we should stop funding it 100%. Do we need to spend enormous amounts of money to understand that pulling the trigger of a loaded gun while it's pointed at someone will either hurt or kill them?
    Before we spend money on this frivolous subject for which the answers are already painstakingly obvious, we should spend money on these areas. These are the leading causes of death in america

Totally should start with at least with psychology of every one who carries a gun. I know it's to late to withdrawn them from the citizens of U.S.A., but it's for sure if a man or a woman wants to kill people, they will do more drops with guns, obviously. So, as if I was starting a new country with no threats from outside, I would most certainly check their back rounds through all the way. Even the ones who would like to carry a gun would have to ask their mother and father to the test since home violence can influence to future - BADLY.

Spend money on healing the people so you don't have to worry so much about the easy triggers, in my honest opinion. Where I live almost every second owns a gun and it's not beautiful, but we have way more lower threshold to use them even though the violence is very high. It's in our genes actually, according to some studies.. :S

• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773
    I'd also like to say that in this world an un-intentional self-harm (pre-suicide) would be to harm others. But at least it's not the one way road..
    Last edited by AmbientEpicuros; 2017-01-12 at 03:17 AM.

Wouldn't the result of said study be considered bigoted and racist?

Snap.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Is that your genuine perception of what access to Deadly Violence at ease, is? Mental disruption?

This guy.
    What do you think a violence study is going to discover exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Wouldn't the result of said study be considered bigoted and racist?

Snap.
    I know you are joking, but yea... pretty much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    What do you think a violence study is going to discover exactly?.
    Actual data to serve as a basis for Gun Safety discussion ; Removing the bias that is ever so inherit to people discussing guns.

That might not be the logical natural conclusion for shitposters on MMO-C - But if you had actual data of a subject, you could actually pose a informed opinion, other than "I like X. I dislike Y. <Shitpost for rest of Post>"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bling View Post
    What are you even going to research with gun deaths? Someone was stupid and someone ended up getting shot. Boom I just provided all the data you needed on 90% of gun deaths. Not to mention at no point do you or the author even mention the ratio of people that die each year to the amount that die to guns.

I'd rather see my tax dollars go towards getting a cure for a mortal disease than study something that doesn't need to be studied because we already know what caused it and it has a solution we can't "cure."

Wow! Gun related deaths aren't on there. Holy crap. Haven't found the number of gun deaths in 2016, but in 2015 13,286 deaths were from guns. Guess what? That's not even 1% of deaths in the US if you compare it to the overall deaths for 2015. Actually comes out to 0.505%, yes half of a percent.

If you ask me gun death research is GETTING TOO MUCH MONEY. When compared to other causes we could be researching.
    pretty much this /thread

Also, the data that comes out if a study is done would be considered raycis by people like OP
    [/URL]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bling View Post

I know this is gonna make you shit bricks ; But other countries don't have as high gun deaths, even if we too die from diseases.

Also, the reason no-one can state how many die in ratio of guns, is because we don't have reliable data for that to begin with.

Are you even trying?
    Last edited by mmoc411114546c; 2017-01-12 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantupino View Post
    pretty much this /thread

Also, the data that comes out if a study is done would be considered raycis by people like OP
    the data would be very useful for everyone:
    some good questions that this type of study would answer would be:
    -number of gun deaths/year
    -type of gun deaths (suicide, homicide, acciden)
    -type of gun used in suicide/homicide
    -if the gun used was legal/illegal
    etc.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

What exactly is there to study?

No one really questions the causes of gun violence they are readily known.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    What exactly is there to study?

No one really questions the causes of gun violence they are readily known.
    They are not known on an quantified basis ; Which serves as relevance for any real debate on the issue.