15+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Which part should I upgrade first?

Hi everyone!

I recently finally got my hands on a gaming PC (a bit old though) which I got from my brother who bought ASUS ROG G752 notebook, so he didn't need a desktop anymore.

Now, the reason I didn't have a PC before is that I was a notebook guy for many years, I played on a 6-year-old Vaio F13 and on a 2014 MacBook Pro (so yeah, Overwatch is out-of-the-question on both - I played a bit on Vaio though, Render Scale 25% ;__; ), so about time for an upgrade. If I wanted to buy a new PC, it would cost me A LOT to buy everything at once (keyboard, display, the whole PC - I only had a decent mouse and a pad).

I have relatively a lot of cash to spend on upgrades now that I at least have a base to work on. My brother was kind of an enthusiast about it, there are some old parts (mainly CPU and GPU), but everything else is quite top-notch - PSU, water cooling, transparent case, neons, this kind of stuff.

So, the parts:
    CPU: i5-3570k (Ivy Bridge, 2012)
    GPU: ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5 (again, 2012)
    MoBo: ASUS Asus P8Z77-V LX
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB (don't know the details, clocking, etc - well, blue ones)
    PSU: some 500W one, I'm fairly sure it's EVGA, I'll check it later.
    Cooling: It has... everything? I counted at least 6 huge-ass fans, plus water cooling on the CPU, Cryorig H5, etc. I run Overwatch on 1080p, 60fps constant, pretty much everything on full settings, apart from Render Scale and some nuclear antialiasing stuff) - GPUTweak II from ASUS shows that my GPU is pretty much always around 50C temperature. That's dope and I'm not even that savvy to know it (right?).
    Case: NZXT S340, color: Sexy White (fairly sure it's an official name, God, it's sexy)

The whole list on PCPartPicker

Given all this - what should be my first move, GPU? I understand that if I want to touch CPU, I probably should consider buying new mobo and possibly RAMs too, right? Am I constrained by those parts? Should I move away from LGA1155 ASAP?

Big thanks in advance, guys.

I'm new to the Master Race family! <3
    Last edited by Spray; 2017-01-12 at 05:03 PM.

To be honest, you dont have to touch anything. I have basically the same system and can play overwatch on the "high" preset at 1080p and never dip below 60 fps, something your rig should be able to do as well. Of course if you played more demanding games the GPU is the upgrade to make, CPU is good for a while yet.

As Fascinate said.

You do not need to change anything apart from the GPU if you want to play newer/heavier/more settings on Overwatch.

Look into a 1060 6GB for a cheap solution or 1070 for a balanced solution.

Either way i would wait ~2 months to see what AMD pops out mostly because prices might drop.

And you could teach yourself how to OC and get that 3570K to 4.5Ghz and be fine for a good 3-4 years, who knows what they might change by then.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    To be honest, you dont have to touch anything. I have basically the same system and can play overwatch on the "high" preset at 1080p and never dip below 60 fps, something your rig should be able to do as well. Of course if you played more demanding games the GPU is the upgrade to make, CPU is good for a while yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    As Fascinate said.

You do not need to change anything apart from the GPU if you want to play newer/heavier/more settings on Overwatch.

Look into a 1060 6GB for a cheap solution or 1070 for a balanced solution.

Either way i would wait ~2 months to see what AMD pops out mostly because prices might drop.

And you could teach yourself how to OC and get that 3570K to 4.5Ghz and be fine for a good 3-4 years, who knows what they might change by then.
    Whoa! That's amazing then!

No, Overwatch works great, as I said - I just want to gradually upgrade the stuff inside.

I'm very happy now, thank you. I thought that I'd probably need slightly beefier GPU if I want to play the newer titles on similar settings, but I think I'll wait a bit.

THANK YOU!

As others said, GTX 1060 6GB and you're set for a few years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    As others said, GTX 1060 6GB and you're set for a few years.
    Thank you! Both for this reply and in the other thread - about the CPU.

Btw - matching cases' bros!

EDIT: So I'd probably decide on Strix GTX 1060 in the nearest future, as you all said - not sure whether I should wait for AMD Vega though. How much of an impact could it have on 1060 prices if it's primarily targeted at GTX 1080?
    Last edited by Spray; 2017-01-13 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Thank you! Both for this reply and in the other thread - about the CPU.

Btw - matching cases' bros!

EDIT: So I'd probably decide on Strix GTX 1060 in the nearest future, as you all said - not sure whether I should wait for AMD Vega though. How much of an impact could it have on 1060 prices if it's primarily targeted at GTX 1080?
    Well, if it forces nVidia to lower the price of the 1080, then they will have to lower the price of the 1070, else who would buy a 1070 when you can get a 1080 for just a bit more? Then if the price of the 1070 gets lowered, the price of the 1060 gets lowered.

I seriously doubt that will happen though. nVidia is probably going to just stick to their prices. Historically, that's what they've done. They have the brand image to get away with it and will continue to as long as they can.

Deleted
    Depends on the games you play,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jml0uItdnE