Question what to use in competitive play

hello all

i love overwtach and i like competetive play, but i have no ide what to use.
    me and few friends are making a team of 3-6 ppl and we need to soon know what we will play.

i know what i will use as healer = lucio
    i know what to use as tank = roadhog
    but i have no clue on what to use as offence, i do like to use soldier,genji and reaper. havent realy gotten around to any other and what do u think will be most viable in this seasen and next?
    would love some advice and wisdom from all and plz no angry ppl and trolls

i know most will say play what you enjoy, but this is more a what is better in competetive and what can they bring and who does better in the diffrent maps and objectives.

10+ Year Old Account
    You kind of have to be able to adjust to what the other team has... don't get into the mindset of "maining" a specific character.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

i have others i can use like lucio and roadhog, but i like to have a offence hero aswell so i have more viggle room on who to use.

15+ Year Old Account
    Soldier is the go-to DPS this season. He's insanely powerful, and is never a bad choice.

Rein, Roadhog, D.Va, and Zarya are all acceptable tanks. Especially Rein. If you don't have a Rein on your team, you should.

Healers, Ana is the most preferred choice. She has the most broken toolset in the game. Lucio and Zen are acceptable too, though Lucio loses his usefulness in an uncoordinated team.

That said, play what you are good at. Do you have 100 hours on Mercy, but none on other healers? Don't be forced into Ana just because she's part of the meta. Either tell your team you suck at Ana (prompting someone to switch roles with you), or play Mercy. A bad Ana is infinitely worse than a good Mercy.

The same can be said for most characters. Don't play a hero you suck at, even if they're supposed to be good. Try your best to work with your team so everyone is playing heroes they are good at, while still creating a good team composition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Soldier is the go-to DPS this season. He's insanely powerful, and is never a bad choice.

Rein, Roadhog, D.Va, and Zarya are all acceptable tanks. Especially Rein. If you don't have a Rein on your team, you should.

Healers, Ana is the most preferred choice. She has the most broken toolset in the game. Lucio and Zen are acceptable too, though Lucio loses his usefulness in an uncoordinated team.

That said, play what you are good at. Do you have 100 hours on Mercy, but none on other healers? Don't be forced into Ana just because she's part of the meta. Either tell your team you suck at Ana (prompting someone to switch roles with you), or play Mercy. A bad Ana is infinitely worse than a good Mercy.

The same can be said for most characters. Don't play a hero you suck at, even if they're supposed to be good. Try your best to work with your team so everyone is playing heroes they are good at, while still creating a good team composition.
    This. There's nothing wrong with picking a hero out of every category to "main". If you perfect a single character you will learn map/game awareness much quicker as you won't be focusing too hard on mechanics. Play to get better, not to rank up. Once you get better you will rank up without focusing on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post

This. People get so hung up on the meta that it kills me. We did a Rein, Symm, Mercy, Mei, Soldier and torb on the Hannamura map on defense. They were emo'ing out in voice chat. I said let's just make it work guys. Have some Faith. We absolutely dominated. I don't remember the other teams comp unfortunately but it was at least 2 tanks, 2 heals.

It's better to get great at a few characters to start with so you can switch if you're being countered and then learn others later.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    You kind of have to be able to adjust to what the other team has... don't get into the mindset of "maining" a specific character.
    bad advise and argument, it's not hard to guess which characters will be weak 9 out of 10 times no mater the opponent. If you start out as Bastion, Widow and Torb on either defense and attack you will be less effective unless the other side has some issues.

In previous seasons you could literally do nothing wrong if you start out as Soldier even when Mccree was stronger picking. Soldier gameplay has stayed the same since release ''a reliable pick that isn't getting hard-countered by anybody, low risk ultimate compared to most other offensive ultimate with a flexible weapon that does reliable damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    bad advise and argument, it's not hard to guess which characters will be weak 9 out of 10 times no mater the opponent. If you start out as Bastion, Widow and Torb on either defense and attack you will be less effective unless the other side has some issues.

In previous seasons you could literally do nothing wrong if you start out as Soldier even when Mccree was stronger picking. Soldier gameplay has stayed the same since release ''a reliable pick that isn't getting hard-countered by anybody, low risk ultimate compared to most other offensive ultimate with a flexible weapon that does reliable damage.
    Yep, Torb and Bastion are static, so one or the other.. Similar junk and Pharah, one or the other.. Balance is key. I like Soldier/Mcree + Pharah/Junk heavy amount of tank pressure and flank denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    This. People get so hung up on the meta that it kills me. We did a Rein, Symm, Mercy, Mei, Soldier and torb on the Hannamura map on defense. They were emo'ing out in voice chat. I said let's just make it work guys. Have some Faith. We absolutely dominated. I don't remember the other teams comp unfortunately but it was at least 2 tanks, 2 heals.

It's better to get great at a few characters to start with so you can switch if you're being countered and then learn others later.
    This doesn't mean anything, you could play anything on Hanamura Defense and win because that map is extremely skewed towards the defenders, it's also not even that weird of a team comp.

In any case, try to avoid having that one player who only plays Mercy, get someone to practice Ana and Zen and you'll have a much better time as they're healers that can make a big difference on a game and even carry, Mercy is popular but an exceptionally bad hero that will very rarely actually let you win games, and any time spent on her is wasted as you get to higher ratings because she becomes absolutely god awful if you're above 3.5k.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    This doesn't mean anything, you could play anything on Hanamura Defense and win because that map is extremely skewed towards the defenders, it's also not even that weird of a team comp.

In any case, try to avoid having that one player who only plays Mercy, get someone to practice Ana and Zen and you'll have a much better time as they're healers that can make a big difference on a game and even carry, Mercy is popular but an exceptionally bad hero that will very rarely actually let you win games, and any time spent on her is wasted as you get to higher ratings because she becomes absolutely god awful if you're above 3.5k.
    If you're good at playing whack-a-mole Mercy is great. Especially if your team is smart and protects her like they should. Even Ana can't switch gears as easily as Mercy when trying to heal people spread out. Plus Ana's aoe heal is going to be nerfed in the next week or two so her OP group heal won't be as effective.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    Get good with Pharah and Tracer, these are heroes a lot of players will just ignore because they're hard to deal with so you can end up just dominating a match entirely with them. If they do manage to counter you out, then 76 is always a solid pick.

As others have said, don't just focus on one hero or one role, you need to be more rounded than that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    If you're good at playing whack-a-mole Mercy is great. Especially if your team is smart and protects her like they should. Even Ana can't switch gears as easily as Mercy when trying to heal people spread out. Plus Ana's aoe heal is going to be nerfed in the next week or two so her OP group heal won't be as effective.
    Ana is still going to be the better pick even with those nerfs, especially at 3,5k+ as he mentioned. On lower ranks it's enough to just get 2 supports in the team, doesn't really matter which ones.
    Last edited by mmocbcb02db377; 2017-01-14 at 09:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The great thing about maining support is that you usually won't have any competition for the slot. I've played over 200 games this season and have only had 3 or 4 matches where we had too many support first picks. And even then there's a good chance that one of them would be happy to play another role.

Mercy maining. Feelsgood.

Deleted
    If you're playing with a team then be flexible with a decent dmg/tank/healer in your back pocket. If you're queuing solo, take a strong dmg character or rein who is capable of carrying.

Personally i see Roadhog as a dps more than a tank. His skills don't lend themselves to keeping others out of trouble so much as keeping him alive or a target dead... that said it's an amazing sight catching the multiple people in his ult and forcing them up a wall for your team to pummel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Get good with Pharah and Tracer, these are heroes a lot of players will just ignore because they're hard to deal with so you can end up just dominating a match entirely with them. If they do manage to counter you out, then 76 is always a solid pick.

As others have said, don't just focus on one hero or one role, you need to be more rounded than that.
    Too many times I've seen a Pharah totally dominate a game because those that picked hit scan heroes are too busy licking Rienharts shield.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED