Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best BM Pets for ST and AOE dps?

I'm forced to go BM until Blizz fixes MM. I was wondering whats the highest net dps pet for ST and for AOE? I know Quill has Battle Rez, Corehoud has hysteria which is very useful. Recently I've been using a chimera for the Crappy Aoe and slow affect on adds. Any advice on which pets are a must?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    All ferocity pets have identical single- and multi-target dps. There are no known odd interactions such as with pre-7.1.5 Survival that will boost your damage output.

DON'T use the worm's or chimera's AoE skill. Both actually reduce your AoE damage output compared to using standard autoattacks and Basic Attacks with Beast Cleave. Those skills are relics from several expansions back that have no useful application in today's game unless you really like the target drop of Burrow Attack or the slow from the Chimera.

Currently there is no specific pet required, only a specific pet talent choice: Ferocity (which any pet can be set to)

As BM you can use Corehounds/Sporebats to get bloodlust or Cranes/Quillin for combat res, otherwise all pets are identical in combat effectiveness.

As a side note, there was a blue post a few weeks back asking what pet/ability hunters felt were mandatory and why. I can't recall the exact wording, but iirc it was something about wanting to spread the essential skills out to other pet families to increase diversity in pet choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HonneurVilified View Post
    Spore bat.
    Spore bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    All ferocity pets have identical single- and multi-target dps. There are no known odd interactions such as with pre-7.1.5 Survival that will boost your damage output.

DON'T use the worm's or chimera's AoE skill. Both actually reduce your AoE damage output compared to using standard autoattacks and Basic Attacks with Beast Cleave. Those skills are relics from several expansions back that have no useful application in today's game unless you really like the target drop of Burrow Attack or the slow from the Chimera.
    wasnt there a 5% more damage from spirit beasts, or exotic pets?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    I believe your hands should be cut off. As I feel your opinions prove your not fit to type.
    Gen Off-Topic being hella ruthless

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrux View Post
    Currently there is no specific pet required, only a specific pet talent choice: Ferocity (which any pet can be set to)

As BM you can use Corehounds/Sporebats to get bloodlust or Cranes/Quillin for combat res, otherwise all pets are identical in combat effectiveness.

As a side note, there was a blue post a few weeks back asking what pet/ability hunters felt were mandatory and why. I can't recall the exact wording, but iirc it was something about wanting to spread the essential skills out to other pet families to increase diversity in pet choice.
    Sporebats give you warts but no such thing as bloodlust, Nether Ray on the other hand ... has Netherwinds that is kinda like bloodlust.

I prefer Core hounds with Hysteria which is in fact identical to Blood lust, heroism and time warp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmlights View Post
    lmao that was awesome

Doesn't matter. Bring utility ones. I run a bloodlust pet, a battle rez pet, and a spirit beast for self healing. Every little bit helps during intense AoE damage fights on progression imo.

If you plan to play SV bring a Carrion bird and macro/autocast its special ability and run it as Ferocity.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harakka View Post
    I prefer Core hounds with Hysteria which is in fact identical to Blood lust, heroism and time warp.

- - - Updated - - -

lmao that was awesome
    I prefer the core hound only because their molten armor can go off which results in damage. Very little, but damage is damage. Plus you can be a backup lust when your shaman dies and your mage needs his second lust.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Carry these things.
    Lust pet.
    Rez Pet.
    Pretty pet.

Use the third one unless one of the others are needed :P

Alternatively if you have any issues soloing very strong things grab one of the shield ones like quillen or turtle and if you think a spirit beast is pretty then use it as your pretty pet for minor healing. You can let it do it's own thing or macro it's heal to cast on you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBetrayer View Post
    Sporebats give you warts but no such thing as bloodlust, Nether Ray on the other hand ... has Netherwinds that is kinda like bloodlust.
    No, they give you Netherwinds. I recently went and tamed a sporebat in Zang.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedirt View Post
    No, they give you Netherwinds. I recently went and tamed a sporebat in Zang.
    I dont know what you have been smoking but does the pet you tamed look like:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=netherray

and not like:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=sporebat

maybe?

You basically need 3 pets for BM currently - a spirit beast (heal), Quilen/Crane (BRez) and Moth (BL/Hero). All specced ferocity obviously. I also carry a 4th pet (spirit bear ^_^ ) specced tenacity for tanking in case of emergencies and while doing WQs.
    If you have a BM legendary ring though, make sure ALL your pets are specced tenacity. Just disable growl and AoE strike for those that you do not want to tank. Likely due to a bug, but tenacity specced pets are still a little stronger than ferocity, and the ring gives them all ferocity damage bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    Actually as a BM you want a Corehound for Lust since it can proc Molten Hide.
    I do have one (a raid boss from Blackwing Lair), but it stomps so loudly I left it in stables after a couple of days. The constant pom-pom-pom was unbearable. So I use Nether Ray for blood lust (not Moth, my mistake in confusing two families). At least it glides silently, and does not have a huge model.
    By the way, I prefer my pets to be as small as possible. Makes it easier in some circumstances. Like trying to loot something and the pet just gets in the way and you click it instead.
    PS: might also consider having a water strider for the Surface Trot ability. Though it too is noisy as far as I can recall.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2017-01-14 at 08:03 PM.

Deleted
    I dont know what you have been smoking but does the pet you tamed look like:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=netherray

and not like:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=sporebat

maybe?
    You're right lol. I looked up spore bats @ wowhead and went to zangarmash, looks like I accidentally tamed a nether ray. Aint that something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    I do have one (a raid boss from Blackwing Lair), but it stomps so loudly I left it in stables after a couple of days. The constant pom-pom-pom was unbearable. So I use Nether Ray for blood lust (not Moth, my mistake in confusing two families). At least it glides silently, and does not have a huge model.
    By the way, I prefer my pets to be as small as possible. Makes it easier in some circumstances. Like trying to loot something and the pet just gets in the way and you click it instead.
    PS: might also consider having a water strider for the Surface Trot ability. Though it too is noisy as far as I can recall.
    If you want small pets and you don't mind pets been different could use a raven or seagull model for hati, they are the smallest I think. For water trot you can use http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id=tripodwhite this model is not noisy but it's big.

If you want small pets and you don't mind pets been different could use a raven or seagull model for hati, they are the smallest I think. For water trot you can use http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id=tripodwhite this model is not noisy but it's big.
    Might consider it. But I really like the dark blue version of Hati (second, scoped artifact rifle basic skin). Looks good together with Gara (my primary raid pet). I was all in for murlocks at the start of legion, but they fixed that

Was lucky enough to get the BM legendary ring. Lately I have been changing my pets spec to cunning to take advantage of roar of sacrifice. Only reason to stay ferocity would be if your taking aspect of the beast, because heart of the Phoenix dose not seem that good (can't remember the last time my pet died in a raid.) Icy veins recommends going tenacity with the ring , although I can't see why. You have to remember to turn off thunder stomp, having charge over dash is meh, and I don't see myself needing last stand for the same reason that makes heart of the Phoenix not useful very often.

On the other hand I use roar of sacrifice at least twice a fight.