Is HotS missing any interesting Hero mechanics found in other MOBAs?

I've barely played LoL and DotA, but I noticed a lot of MOBAs have heroes with similar kits like 'fat guy with hook'. For those who have more MOBA experience than I do, are there any popular heroes, mechanically speaking, not represented in HotS yet?

I'm curious because I think maybe it's possible to match some of those up to known Blizzard heroes and know what we can expect in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about missing mechanics since comparatively HotS still has way less heroes compared to other mobas. But it most definitely has some creative unique mechanics in the form of Abathur and Cho'Gall that I haven't seen something even close to in other ones.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Items and the removal of mounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Pretty sure thats NOT what the OP was asking, but was more asking for any interesting hero playstyles found in other MOBAs.

To that, I say, not too much, opposite in fact - Heroes has characters with completely unique playstyles, such as Abathur (All other MOBAs lacked a character that sat in the back and indirectly influenced the map), Cho'Gall (Completely unique, a dual-player hero), TLV (Not quite so unique, theres one or two heroes that has multiple weak bodies, but those bodies are weak duplicates of each other rather then a set of 3 unique characters), Murky (Squishy, fast respawn on the field character isn't in any of the others from my knowledge). You also have unique mechanics, such as Ragnaros' Molten Core, Chromie's Early Talents (The equivalent would be making gear cheaper as a passive for a hero, nothing like that), and a few others.

Heroes has a smaller roster, yes, but each character is unique and quite different from the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Something like invoker and io from dota2

15+ Year Old Account
    Gnar is LoL has a pretty unique mechanic

His thing is that he has a "small" form that is fragile, ranged and quick and a "large" form that is melee, tanky and strong.

Now, lots of characters in several games have the "two form" mechanic, but Gnar is unique in that his transformation is automatic and uncontrollable. He builds up energy as he attacks and takes damage, then goes big as soon as his energy is full. Thus, instead of transforming at will, he needs to time himself just so that he'll go big right when he needs to - and conversely, opponents can play around that and force him to transform at the wrong time.

HotS doesn't have that - where you build up energy instead of depleting resources, and something drastic happens when its full. Auriel would be the closest, I suppose.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    HotS doesn't have that - where you build up energy instead of depleting resources, and something drastic happens when its full. Auriel would be the closest, I suppose.
    Zarya has few talents that change the way her abilities work with up to full energy bar, like increased beam range/damage etc, so you too gather resources instead of depleting it.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Zarya has few talents that change the way her abilities work with up to full energy bar, like increased beam range/damage etc, so you too gather resources instead of depleting it.
    Mmm but they don't actively change her core gameplay as the energy rises. She just... gets buffed

His thing is that he has a "small" form that is fragile, ranged and quick and a "large" form that is melee, tanky and strong.

Now, lots of characters in several games have the "two form" mechanic, but Gnar is unique in that his transformation is automatic and uncontrollable. He builds up energy as he attacks and takes damage, then goes big as soon as his energy is full. Thus, instead of transforming at will, he needs to time himself just so that he'll go big right when he needs to - and conversely, opponents can play around that and force him to transform at the wrong time.

Interesting. Illidan would have been the most obvious candidate for that. Shadow Priest Anduin maybe?

A friend of mine who plays Dota 2 told me one of their characters (Invoker?) has an interesting control scheme where your spell is determined by the combination of keys you press.

the removal of mounts.
    He said "missing".

Items
    He said "interesting".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    A friend of mine who plays Dota 2 told me one of their characters (Invoker?) has an interesting control scheme where your spell is determined by the combination of keys you press.

He said "missing".

He said "interesting".
    If you've ever played magicka its literally that. You have 3 "elements" called Quas (Q) Wex (W) and Exort (E), and based off of which elements you currently have equipped, your invoke (R), gives you a different spell. Which you cast with D and F. You can have up to 2 spells invoked at a given time, and when you cast another spell it will move your previously cast spell over one and then take it's place. So for example, if you had Ghost Walk as (D), and you had Sunstrike as (F), and you invoked a new spell, your Ghost Walk would become (F) and your new spell would become (D).

1 Q 1 W 1 E is Deafening Blast
    3 E is Sunstrike
    2 W 1 Q is Tornado
    and so on. There are 10 total combinations.

I can't play Invoker worth a fuck, but my friends with really high MMR have likened it a lot to learning a fighting game, and it just comes down to muscle memory most of the time.

I kinda feel like Blizzard would intentionally avoid making an Invoker copy. They might do a similar concept but with something that makes it radically different (attach the combo concept to a martial character maybe?).

10+ Year Old Account
    What about Abathur, a slug who fight from distance and eventually do Aba slaps?

Or Ragnaros with taking control on fort?

Or Varian Wrynn who is first multi class hero ever happend in MOBA's? Yep since in LoL most heroes if Riot do tank, is pure tank.

Or Cho'Gall who requires teamplay?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    What about Abathur, a slug who fight from distance and eventually do Aba slaps?

Or Ragnaros with taking control on fort?

Or Varian Wrynn who is first multi class hero ever happend in MOBA's? Yep since in LoL most heroes if Riot do tank, is pure tank.

Or Cho'Gall who requires teamplay?
    The point of the thread is what do OTHER games have character-design-wise that HotS does NOT

Not the other way round =)

Also... a lot of characters in other MOBAs are "multiclass" based on what items they build. Especially the melee ones. They can be tanky as fuck or support-based or pure damage

Karma from LoL springs to mind. Either support or AP carry. Same with Sion and Warwick - tank, or bruiser. Annie is often played as Support even though her kit was designed as an APC. AD Sona. Tank Vlad. AP Chogath. Udyr. Etcetera.
    Last edited by Nikkaszal; 2017-01-13 at 09:03 AM.

I was thinking of Gnar, too. Gnar has another mechanic where he throws a blade (like a boomerang) but you can catch it on return, which removes it's CD if you catch it. Think of Cho'Gall's returning Rune bomb talent (Roll back) but you have to catch it. So hile ou are kiting or chasing you have to move accordingly to catch it so you can maximize it's use.

There are many others who have complex mechanics such as Illaoi and even Camille who use walls as objects.

DOTA2 has Meepo who gets compared to TLV, but I'd say Meepo is much tougher to manage as he splits into 5 illusions and killing any of the illusions, kills Meepo.

There are a couple of new champions in HON who also have a couple of interesting mechanics.

Hots also has Murky (reduced hp / death timer) and Ragnaros (takes over a fort area and clears whole lanes). HOTS also ha quests like Headhunter and caltrops, which give a unique flavor to heroes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnofiend View Post
    I kinda feel like Blizzard would intentionally avoid making an Invoker copy. They might do a similar concept but with something that makes it radically different (attach the combo concept to a martial character maybe?).
    Kael'thas is the closest so far.

-A Vladimir type who uses HP as a resource isn't really in yet, I know Zul'jin uses HP for AA on his trait but it's different enough.

-Aurelion Sol with the floaty orb things around him is pretty unique.

-We don't have a seperate hero that completly lacks an AA yet either, like Urgot.

-Udyr who has different stances isn't in yet either, I'd love to see that go to a feral druid who uses Cat (DPS)/Bear(Defensive)/Stag(Movement) for example, ult possibly being something like Incarnation which improves forms or Heart of the Wild which could be a heal of sorts or w/e.

-Wanted to mention Shyvana/Nidalee though Tychus with Odin and now Valeera come pretty close. Same for Orianna who is kinda Rexxar, Zac who is kinda like Butcher and I guess Uther with redemption or Diablo with Souls etc. As for Draven, I think his Spinning Axe mechanic is cool, no idea how something like League of Draven would be translated to HotS.

Haven't played LoL in quite some time, but always loved Syndra's kit: summoning objects (e.g. orbs) and then moving them around as part of burst/CC. Can't really think of a HotS equivalent. Also Ogre Magi's (from DotA) complete reliance on RNG isn't something that I think has any similarities in HotS? I.e. % chance for bonus effects on every spell. And Winter Wyvern's "taunt enemies to attack each other" ult mechanic.

Re: Invoker mechanics, I feel like HotS generally tries to go for a more streamlined/simplified hero style so I doubt that'd fit all that well with HotS hero direction. (Also the fact that the character he was originally modelled on, KT, already exists as a different style hero).

how many heroes do we have with an ability or two that debuff/hurt enemies but buff/heal allies when cast?
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2017-01-19 at 05:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    items idc that much, but no keep mounts