Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Uninstalling Origin has just caused me extreme problems

Please don't bump this thread further. All points have been conveyed and it's just the same things being said in a cycle now. Let the thread die. Thanks.

So I just built a new computer, and for the past week I have been redownloading the hundreds of PC games I own.

After finally finishing the ~400 games on Steam that I own, I decided, what the hell... I'll install Steam to get KotOR and whatever other game or two I might have on origin.

Since I have an SSD now, I install all programs to my HDD, this includes Origin. So I tried to install it there.. I accidentally placed the file in Program Files instead of /Origin or whatever.

I thought, what the hell, I'll just uninstall and reinstall it to fix this.

What happened afterwords has fucked my world worse than any virus I have ever encountered.

Fucking Origin started uninstalling and deleting every fucking file I had in Program files. I am afraid that I am now going to have to spend another fucking week downloading games and God only knows how long figuring out which games are fucked and which games are okay.

Fucking EA. I was never a fan of them before, but I fucking hate them more than ever before. I didn't even know this was possible. I don't fucking know what to do.

I don't normally post rants on forums, but this is the most ridiculous fucking shit I have ever heard of in my life. Someone please help me.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2017-01-20 at 06:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least yours didn't cause you identity theft issues.

Mine did =/ some Russian fuckwad bought a copy of FIFA long AFTER I had closed my account.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    At least yours didn't cause you identity theft issues.

Mine did =/ some Russian fuckwad bought a copy of FIFA long AFTER I had closed my account.
    Been there, done that. Had that happen through Xbox Live. They shut down my online access for 3 months pending investigation.

PS: I really am looking for help here. I didn't set up a system restore point yet, because frankly I didn't expect something like this to happen. What can I even do? Am I just royally fucked?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you try system restore? Like for a week back.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

At the very least how can I remove Origin from my programs without uninstalling it directly? I don't want it to start this shit all over again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Did you try system restore? Like for a week back.
    My PC is less than a week old. I have been downloading nonstop since I built it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    At the very least how can I remove Origin from my programs without uninstalling it directly? I don't want it to start this shit all over again.

- - - Updated - - -

My PC is less than a week old. I have been downloading nonstop since I built it.
    did you try rebooting and then just shift+delete the folder?

Fortunately I caught it 'early', it only deleted every game above "Steam". It deleted maybe 10% of my steam games before I caught it. I am still having to go through the install process but most of the games will have the data already there.

I am going to have to reinstall everything above that though, I am looking at hours and hours of download time all over again, and I hate wasting my bandwidth like this anyways. Unbelievable. I never liked EA, but now they've gotten me to truly despise them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have your reboot disc right? Do they still do those? I haven't bought a new PC since 2011. Or.. worst case scenarior; warantee return the fucker. My 2011 purchase was after one such return.

Fortunately I caught it 'early', it only deleted every game above "Steam". It deleted maybe 10% of my steam games before I caught it. I am still having to go through the install process but most of the games will have the data already there.

I am going to have to reinstall everything above that though, I am looking at hours and hours of download time all over again, and I hate wasting my bandwidth like this anyways. Unbelievable. I never liked EA, but now they've gotten me to truly despise them.
    A bit OT but why would you even install 400 games? I bet you play 10 of them....at most.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://datarecovery.wondershare.com/ Maybe this could work. I dont know any other way (without system restore).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    You should have your reboot disc right? Do they still do those? I haven't bought a new PC since 2011. Or.. worst case scenarior; warantee return the fucker. My 2011 purchase was after one such return.
    Nah this was my HDD drive. My SSD drive is fine. Nothing was deleted except games I've downloaded (and mozilla firefox). Every game that started with something higher than Steam was deleted. Overwatch, Diablo 3, Starcraft... everything deleted because of Origin's incredibly stupid programming.

My computer is not fucked, but I have to go through the download process all over again. With a 10 mb/s maximum download speed (usually is 3 mb/s) I am looking at days of data I have to download all over again.

All thanks to Origin. I used to wonder why people hated EA so much. I understand now.

Nah this was my HDD drive. My SSD drive is fine. Nothing was deleted except games I've downloaded (and mozilla firefox). Every game that started with something higher than Steam was deleted. Overwatch, Diablo 3, Starcraft... everything deleted because of Origin's incredibly stupid programming.

My computer is not fucked, but I have to go through the download process all over again. With a 10 mb/s maximum download speed (usually is 3 mb/s) I am looking at days of data I have to download all over again.

All thanks to Origin. I used to wonder why people hated EA so much. I understand now.
    You mean all thanks to you.

So I just built a new computer, and for the past week I have been redownloading the hundreds of PC games I own.

After finally finishing the ~400 games on Steam that I own, I decided, what the hell... I'll install Steam to get KotOR and whatever other game or two I might have on origin.

Since I have an SSD now, I install all programs to my HDD, this includes Origin. So I tried to install it there.. I accidentally placed the file in Program Files instead of /Origin or whatever.

What happened afterwords has fucked my world worse than any virus I have ever encountered.

Fucking Origin started uninstalling and deleting every fucking file I had in Program files. I am afraid that I am now going to have to spend another fucking week downloading games and God only knows how long figuring out which games are fucked and which games are okay.

Fucking EA. I was never a fan of them before, but I fucking hate them more than ever before. I didn't even know this was possible. I don't fucking know what to do.

I don't normally post rants on forums, but this is the most ridiculous fucking shit I have ever heard of in my life. Someone please help me.
    Right there. You said it. You did it. Not them. Why blame someone else for what you did?

As for fixing it, without a restore point, probably just gonna have to re-install them all. I have to agree with the above poster though, why in the world do you need 400 games installed at once? Also, why would you want games installed on your HDD when you have an SSD?

What I do, and I do play a lot of games, is install the games I am currently playing on the SSD. Since I can't really play more than one game at a time, I only ever have two to three games installed since taste can differ from night to night or sometimes I'll get frustrated with a game and want to play something else. 2-3 games installed at a time keeps me able to have a variety. Once I am done playing a game, I'll back-up the saves and then uninstall it, to make room for another game. No need to have 400 some odd games installed at one time.

Deleted

You hate them because YOU fucked up? Alright. It's all your fault but okay, don't take responsability, jsut blame someone else.

You should've done a system restore and moved back a day or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You mean all thanks to you.

Right there. You said it. You did it. Not them. Why blame someone else for what you did?

As for fixing it, without a restore point, probably just gonna have to re-install them all. I have to agree with the above poster though, why in the world do you need 400 games installed at once? Also, why would you want games installed on your HDD when you have an SSD?

What I do, and I do play a lot of games, is install the games I am currently playing on the SSD. Since I can't really play more than one game at a time, I only ever have two to three games installed since taste can differ from night to night or sometimes I'll get frustrated with a game and want to play something else. 2-3 games installed at a time keeps me able to have a variety. Once I am done playing a game, I'll back-up the saves and then uninstall it, to make room for another game. No need to have 400 some odd games installed at one time.
    I did what?

Every program (and I do mean every, not a single exception) I have installed in the past decade creates its own folder instead of installing in program files.

Every program I've ever uninstalled deleted only relevant files, it didn't delete everything.

It's totally my fault that Origin was programmed by monkeys. Yeah, this is definitely an issue of me not being accountable for my actions and has nothing to do with the malware that is Origin screwing up my computer due to how ineptly it was designed.

Go ahead. Attack me full on. I've been on MMO-Champ long enough that I know the board will always catch fire when someone gets offended. You like EA, I get it. (Or maybe you just enjoy looking for reasons to attack people; doesn't really matter.) That's not going to make their programming any less ridiculously bad, nor is it going to reverse the mistake I made (in installing Origin *period*, not in making an honest mistake in assuming they would work at the most simple basic level of quality that I expect from the worst programs I've ever downloaded).

Go on. Tell me more about how I refuse to take responsibility for my actions, then tell me how it is relevant to the problem I am facing with Origin. The only mistake I am taking responsibility for is installing Origin on my PC to begin with, a mistake I shall not repeat.

PS: I love how you are going on about things like "Why do you download so many games?" like it's relevant to my problem with origin. (Fortunately, the vast majority of those games were not deleted, but some of my bigger games (Such as Starcraft II and Overwatch) were.)

To answer your question -- if it wasn't rhetorical and just intended to be a blind swing at me -- I play a wide variety of games and I enjoy just diving into my backlog on a whim and playing games when I feel like it. If my HDD loads games slower, I frankly don't care. I am not going to go to the effort of moving and deleting games on my SSD -- which supposedly decreases its lifespan as well -- just so I can have games load slightly faster.

However, my download habits are irrelevant to this thread. It doesn't matter how many games I choose to have on my HDD at a time; if you want to do things differently, more power to you, but that has absolutely nothing to do with Origin's bad programming deleting somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 of my games (in data size).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    You hate them because YOU fucked up? Alright. It's all your fault but okay, don't take responsability, jsut blame someone else.

You should've done a system restore and moved back a day or more.
    Refer to the reply to the quoted above, applies to this too. Just imagine it a bit more courteous, as you are being a bit more courteous with me.

My PC is brand new, I planned on setting up system restore when I finished installing. Welp. Origin fixed that for me.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2017-01-13 at 11:09 PM.

Deleted
    I did what?

Every program (and I do mean every, not a single exception) I have installed in the past decade creates its own folder instead of installing in program files.

Every program I've ever uninstalled deleted only relevant files, it didn't delete everything.

It's totally my fault that Origin was programmed by monkeys. Yeah, this is definitely an issue of me not being accountable for my actions and has nothing to do with the malware that is Origin screwing up my computer due to how ineptly it was designed.

Go ahead. Attack me full on. I've been on MMO-Champ long enough that I know the board will always catch fire when someone gets offended. You like EA, I get it. (Or maybe you just enjoy looking for reasons to attack people; doesn't really matter.) That's not going to make their programming any less ridiculously bad, nor is it going to reverse the mistake I made (in installing Origin *period*, not in making an honest mistake in assuming they would work at the most simple basic level of quality that I expect from the worst programs I've ever downloaded).

Go on. Tell me more about how I refuse to take responsibility for my actions, then tell me how it is relevant to the problem I am facing with Origin. The only mistake I am taking responsibility for is installing Origin on my PC to begin with, a mistake I shall not repeat.

PS: I love how you are going on about things like "Why do you download so many games?" like it's relevant to my problem with origin. (Fortunately, the vast majority of those games were not deleted, but some of my bigger games (Such as Starcraft II and Overwatch) were.)

To answer your question -- if it wasn't rhetorical and just intended to be a blind swing at me -- I play a wide variety of games and I enjoy just diving into my backlog on a whim and playing games when I feel like it. If my HDD loads games slower, I frankly don't care. I am not going to go to the effort of moving and deleting games on my SSD -- which supposedly decreases its lifespan as well -- just so I can have games load slightly faster.

However, my download habits are irrelevant to this thread. It doesn't matter how many games I choose to have on my HDD at a time; if you want to do things differently, more power to you, but that has absolutely nothing to do with Origin's bad programming deleting somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 of my games (in data size).

- - - Updated - - -

Refer to the reply to the quoted above, applies to this too. Just imagine it a bit more courteous, as you are being a bit more courteous with me.

My PC is brand new, I planned on setting up system restore when I finished installing. Welp. Origin fixed that for me.
    It's your fault you didn't install and uninstall properly. It's entirely your fault it happened.
    Yes, I know of no other applciation that does what happened to you. In fact, it seems weird that Origin would do that and I'm wondering if it's the whole story. In fact, I can't find anybody that has had this problem before, but perhaps I'm just not using the right search words.

No, you fixed that for yourself.

I did what?

- - - Updated - - -

No I don't really love EA. But I do know that I personally, my wife, my best friend and THOUSANDS of other people installed the program and uninstalled it and did not have this issue. I've never heard of it before myself. A little searching and nope, nothing. So therefore, it's either some strange fluke that even the best programmer in the world could not detect or it's something YOU did. I'm leaning on the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    It's your fault you didn't install and uninstall properly. It's entirely your fault it happened.
    Yes, I know of no other applciation that does what happened to you. In fact, it seems weird that Origin would do that and I'm wondering if it's the whole story. In fact, I can't find anybody that has had this problem before, but perhaps I'm just not using the right search words.

No, you fixed that for yourself.
    So, since I treated Origin the same as I do for every other program, the fact that it acted like Malware and deleted a great deal of my games is my fault.

By all means, feel free to explain how assuming Origin would work on a basic level as other programs is my fault.

And if you don't want to believe me, feel free. This isn't an assumption on my part. This all happened when I was uninstalling Origin, and it stopped as soon as I closed the uninstallation program on my task manager. If you doubt me, test it for yourself.

If I had even heard a hint of this ever happening before, don't you think I would have taken precautions against it? Something this insane and ridiculous, that no one would expect from a program designed by anyone from a major company (even as bad a corporation as EA), is my fault since I didn't realize just how bad this software is.

While I don't understand your logic, I do respect it. You want me to take responsibility for my actions. I have. I understood immediately what the problem is. You, however, do not seem to be able to do the same, even as you explain it in detail. Origin is an incredibly poorly designed program; if I had realized the depths of how bad it could screw up my computer, I would not have ever installed it on my PC to begin with, to hell with being careful installing it.

- - - Updated - - -

No I don't really love EA. But I do know that I personally, my wife, my best friend and THOUSANDS of other people installed the program and uninstalled it and did not have this issue. I've never heard of it before myself. So therefore, it's either some strange fluke that even the best programmer in the world could not detect or it's something YOU did. I'm leaning on the latter.
    NP. Test it yourself. Install the program to Program Files instead of Program Files/Origin and then uninstall it. Let us know how it goes.

"If it didn't happen to me, it couldn't' have happened to you." Not really sound logic. I didn't use the default directory and it didn't create a folder like any other program would. Because it's Origin, and Origin has to be special.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2017-01-13 at 11:32 PM.

So, since I treated Origin the same as I do for every other program, the fact that it acted like Malware and deleted a great deal of my games is my fault.

By all means, feel free to explain how assuming Origin would work on a basic level as other programs is my fault.

And if you don't want to believe me, feel free. This isn't an assumption on my part. This all happened when I was uninstalling Origin, and it stopped as soon as I closed the uninstallation program on my task manager. If you doubt me, test it for yourself.

If I had even heard a hint of this ever happening before, don't you think I would have taken precautions against it? Something this insane and ridiculous, that no one would expect from a program designed by anyone from a major company (even as bad a corporation as EA), is my fault since I didn't realize just how bad this software is.

While I don't understand your logic, I do respect it. You want me to take responsibility for my actions. I have. I understood immediately what the problem is. You, however, do not seem to be able to do the same, even as you explain it in detail. Origin is an incredibly poorly designed program; if I had realized the depths of how bad it could screw up my computer, I would not have ever installed it on my PC to begin with, to hell with because careful installing it.
    Feel free to explain to us how THOUSANDS of other people have installed and uninstalled this and there is no trace of anyone else having the same issue. If THOUSANDS of people do something and have no problem and one guy does have a problem, what is the likely cause of the problem?

Feel free to explain to us how THOUSANDS of other people have installed and uninstalled this and there is no trace of anyone else having the same issue. If THOUSANDS of people do something and have no problem and one guy does have a problem, what is the likely cause of the problem?
    Test it yourself. I explained exactly how the problem was caused. If you're not willing to test it, then stop throwing around this "it didn't actually happen" bullshit.

NP. Test it yourself. Install the program to Program Files instead of Program Files/Origin and then uninstall it. Let us know how it goes.

"If it didn't happen to me, it couldn't' have happened to you." Not really sound logic. I didn't use the default directory and it didn't create a folder like any other program would. Because it's Origin, and Origin has to be special.
    Why in the world would I do that? I'll install it to the default.

I'm not saying it didn't happen to you. What i am saying is that YOU changed the default therefore YOU are responsible for the results, not Origin or anyone else. YOU are the one that changed the default.

- - - Updated - - -

Test it yourself. I explained exactly how the problem was caused. If you're not willing to test it, then stop throwing around this "it didn't actually happen" bullshit.
    Again, i am not saying it didn't happen. I am simply saying that if it worked for thousands of other people but not you it must be something you did. We've determined that. You know what you did. But you still blame Origin for changing the default install location. You are the one that did that, not them.