Best Router for Gigabit Internet (behind the modem)

I have ATT Gigapower and the speeds direct connect hole true at 1Gb and 1Gb up/down. Looking for a recommendation on any wireless routers that will keep the 1Gb connection from the ATT modem/gateway and transmit at 1Gb. We're getting approximately 600Mb up and down via wireless AC and wanna do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I have ATT Gigapower and the speeds direct connect hole true at 1Gb and 1Gb up/down. Looking for a recommendation on any wireless routers that will keep the 1Gb connection from the ATT modem/gateway and transmit at 1Gb. We're getting approximately 600Mb up and down via wireless AC and wanna do better.
    I don't know that you can currently get more then around 600mb via wireless on a single link depending on what type of xmitter/rcver the device you are using has. if your sitting at 600mb consistently I would surmise its the devices not the modem/router your using already. if your getting 1gb via a wired connection I would assume this to be the case as well. If you want to test it out I would grab a tri-band router, one that will operate in all the ranges for wireless devices. something like this asus would do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/RT-AC3200-Wir...words=tri+band

My wireless NIC should be able to handle the speed. But it's worth a shot to further investigate. The more I read, the more I understand the limitation could lie with the connection from the bridged modem/gateway to the new router, which is why I'm trying to weed out the uplink being the bottleneck.

That router seems interesting so I may do some more research in that space. I am afraid that I may be bottlenecked just due to wireless technologies in general to be at approx 600 up/down.

How much do you want to spend? For those speeds you need to get a dedicated AP and sit on top of the radio, with no one else connected to it and the planets aligned....

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    How much do you want to spend? For those speeds you need to get a dedicated AP and sit on top of the radio, with no one else connected to it and the planets aligned....
    ha...right, I was thinking I needed a dedicated AP. I'd spend in the $300s USD, but not for just 100 Mbps difference. If I'm really maxing out current technologies at ~600, that's fine I guess I can live with it. Funny enough, hard wired on Gigapower gives us a dedicated 1Gb up/down, which is amazing.

I may just need to rewire the house...

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only good answer is wired. It's unlikely any Wireless will keep a proper sustained Gigabit. Unless you are in a remote area with no wireless interference, which is unlikely as those places usually don't offer gigabit internet.

Any modern good quality router should sustain gigabit speeds. Even then it might be worth checking into. Friend of mine was a little pissed when he picked up a new router and it couldn't even keep 500mbps routed.

Powerline Networking is a possibility, though my experience of a single kit and my first usage of it has been mixed.
    Regularly crashes which googling suggests is due to noise on the wiring, but since this isn't a new issue why can't the plugs just handle that better than requiring me to power one off and on again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.