Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

New EU Building - hideous and costly

Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ropa-brussels/

People complain about the price, but I also complain about its ugliness. I cannot believe you would build such a building using post-modern design in our Old World... and for such an astronomic amount of money.

The EU is over soon, though, so enjoy the hideousness while it lasts.

Yeah that grid work on the windows looks like scaffolding which gives it the impression that they're still working on it. The solar panels on the roof are an interesting idea. Is there enough sun in that part of the world? Solar here in the desert really pays off cause we have a lot of sunny days per year.

The sphere inside looks neat, but it seems like a waste of room.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I don't see a problem with it. Looks nice to me.

I doubt the EU is "over soon" though but you're free to leave whenever you want.

Deleted
    Wait, are you saying that constructing a building costs money? O shit! I thought it was all free, like Unicorn milk.

For how big and how unique it looks, 300 million sounds pretty average. I also roll my eyes at statements about its cost increase over time. Newflash look up any construction order that took over 10 years or more to come to fruition, the cost is gona be 200-300% what the original evaluation suggested at the time.

Thats not unique to government buildings, even private company deals with that fact.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-01-15 at 11:23 AM.

It looks great. Especially at night. It's also a nice mix of old and new.

If you don't like it you are welcome to self immolate in front of it in protest. I know you have a strange hard-on for the Middle Ages, but the rest of us moved past you.

And 300 million for the size, scope and purpose of the building, is not that much really, about 30% of that is probably just things related to security, electronics, communications and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post

People complain about the price,
    people always complain about prices - that because 95 % of people are economicaly-retarded/uneducated and have 0 clue how much stuff creation costs. f... those people if you meet an idiot just ignore him as trying to educate is just waste of time.

Deleted
    I already went inside of it, and it looks great. Also the EU isn't ending, it might reshape it's form, but it'll still be there.

7+ Year Old Account
    it look pretty fine.

and 300 million for such a building isnt that expensive.

Formerly known as Arafal

A bit bland, but certainly not ugly.
    It's ok that some people have a bit of nostalgia for ancient styles. And it's nice that we make efforts to protect old buildings. But nostalgia should not prevent us from developing new styles.

Wait ... the construction is not over yet ...

Op is from Bosnia / Herzegovina, so if the EU should get demolished, his country would go straight back to the stone age...

Though on another topic, his Avatar, used to say he was in Denmark, so I guess he could always come back, and recieve benefits... arh, no, he couldnt, the EU doesnt exist... we dont have to allow him in

*Im not a racist, im just trying to make him aware, that the EU is keeping his country afloat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from the kindergarten colour scheme in the interior, I think it looks ok.

Looks alright to me.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

Deleted
    300 million for a building of that size is not bad, when you include the fact that the price includes the renovation of the old Palace. Besides the Justus Lipsius building needs to be replaced. It was never ment to hold so many Officials or have

It has
    3 conference halls with at least 32 interpretation booths each
    10 other meeting rooms
    additional press facilities
    around 250 offices, including for the President of the European Council
    3750 windows
    374 LED light tubes to light the lantern
    Solar Power cells on the roof
    Collects rainwater for its bathrooms.
    Use 30% less steel then a building of similar size.

Here is a video with some pictures of it.

The EU is over soon, though, so enjoy the hideousness while it lasts.
    lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it looks ok. Mostly dislike the colorful squares inside. Is it for children or adults?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Duke View Post
    Looks alright to me.
    Think its a bit ugly, but criticism over its costs and timing are fucking ridiculous, its not much money and they started on it in 2004.

Deleted
    "Hideous" isn't a strong enough word to describe that pile of shit.

Apparently they wanted something that symbolizes their bureaucracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mixing old/new architecture seems to be a polarising topic. I thought similarly when I saw the Fries Museum in Leeuwarden (NL):

Quote Originally Posted by Svad View Post
    Op is from Bosnia / Herzegovina, so if the EU should get demolished, his country would go straight back to the stone age...

Though on another topic, his Avatar, used to say he was in Denmark, so I guess he could always come back, and recieve benefits... arh, no, he couldnt, the EU doesnt exist... we dont have to allow him in

*Im not a racist, im just trying to make him aware, that the EU is keeping his country afloat.
    Yeah, I'm not sure he gets what trouble he'd be in if it ever happened.