Thread: Pentium G4560

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pentium G4560

Kaby lake has been a disappointment overall but this little guy is amazing. You are getting what is essentially an i3 for $60.

Here's a review of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apnMvaEx1L0
    Remember kiddies, hope was the last evil in Pandora's box.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought one of the Pentium G3258, the 'anniversary' overclocking one with 2/2. It was... alright? However these newer ones look like they may be the real deal for super cheap budget systems
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Yea, kinda makes me regret buying a 6500 for a friend's build.

15+ Year Old Account
    The more I watch Intel this round it looks like their answer to AMD if Zen does good, is to have i3 added as enthusiasts chips and keep the Pentium line for budgets and OEMs. This would also explain the i3-7350k, they are testing it to see how well it sells, although at a $189 mark thats too high.

Im waiting for the low power pentiums to come in stock, perfect HTPC CPU's. My athlon 5350 does ok for most stuff, but i think steam in home streaming could run better.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    The more I watch Intel this round it looks like their answer to AMD if Zen does good, is to have i3 added as enthusiasts chips and keep the Pentium line for budgets and OEMs. This would also explain the i3-7350k, they are testing it to see how well it sells, although at a $189 mark thats too high.
    There will be price drops to it when Zen hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    There will be price drops to it when Zen hits.
    Maybe, but I doubt it. Intel has the market share and brand reputation and there are enough people out there that just don't like AMD that they may get away with just keep their current pricing.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The cost of a 7350k is nearly on par with the 6500 up here and, between the two, I would go with the 6500 in spite of how hard I push the i3 as a monster for 1080p60hz gaming and better single-thread performance. I'd even go for a cheaper 6400 if I knew I could juice it up to 4ghz.

Chop off $40 and the 7350k looks a whole lot better.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Maybe, but I doubt it. Intel has the market share and brand reputation and there are enough people out there that just don't like AMD that they may get away with just keep their current pricing.
    I doubt they will continue with the same prices. AMD likes to undercut and they will have to respond some way. I think it will be a situation where the "battle" will be between this pentium, i3 and i5 and whatever AMD are offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    I doubt they will continue with the same prices. AMD likes to undercut and they will have to respond some way. I think it will be a situation where the "battle" will be between this pentium, i3 and i5 and whatever AMD are offering.
    See, that right there is where you are wrong. They will not have to. They are intel and they can get away with it.

Just look at last gen in the GPU department. Kinda the same thing. The AMD 300 series actually performed better than the nvidia 900 series, especially after the Crimson Drivers we're released. You would think, that because something came along that was better and cheaper, nVidia would have to respond in some way. They did not. intel will do the same, because they can.

Performance does not matter, perception does. A lot of people perceive AMD as "bad" or "only for budget builds." Just because they actually have performance does not mean people will perceive that they have better performance. People don't buy based on facts. They buy based on perception. We see it all the time here. People say they heard AMD was bad for gaming so they want an intel, and they heard that you can't mix an AMD GPU with an intel CPU, so they want intel/nvidia not AMD/AMD. Yes, I have seen multiple people asking for advice on this forum and others that think you can not use an AMD GPU with an intel CPU. Those people will not by an AMD CPU no matter what, because they have an nvidia GPU. Even if you tell them it will work fine, they will go with what they are comfortable going with, and that's intel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt there will be price drops. Intel doesn't drop prices when their own products are nudging in. A new 4690K is still $230, 3 years later. A new 6600K is still $230. The 7600K is $240. If your own succeeding product won't cause price drops, a maybe-competitor certainly won't.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    And here I was, all excited to possibly use AMD in an upcoming build. Looks like this will work even better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyocere View Post
    And here I was, all excited to possibly use AMD in an upcoming build. Looks like this will work even better.
    You never know, AMD is coming out with a full line, not just their flagship CPU. They may have a decent low-end Ryzen that will play ball.. The problem is, we already know exactly what this Pentium will do.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You never know, AMD is coming out with a full line, not just their flagship CPU. They may have a decent low-end Ryzen that will play ball.. The problem is, we already know exactly what this Pentium will do.
    Yeah, but it's intel, so even if it's more, people will pay for it, just because it's intel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, but it's intel, so even if it's more, people will pay for it, just because it's intel.
    Unfortunately, Intel has been reliable and consistent. Maybe not improving by leaps and bounds, but we know what the next step will be, and will get the proper hype going. Right now, people are seeing these Pentium and i3's, and are already prepping their wallets.

Once you get set on a product, it's difficult to change your mind. Even if Ryzen came out with a marginally better budget CPU by then, Intel still would get the sake. Coming out with these now, just a couple weeks before the AMD options are available, is marketing genius.

For the price the G4560 is an amazing CPU and puts an end to the dated FX line from AMD as the best value CPU's.

I highly recommend.

Deleted
    CPU has been getting good reviews from what I've seen, decently priced CPU HOWEVER the motherboards even the lowest end cost as much as the CPU it self in the UK...

£65+£30 motherboard combo is where its at, package a stick of ram in that, and you have very good system to start with, think i did an example build in another thread and using RX480, the build was just over $500, no OS though.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($75.00 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Mushkin Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($47.99 @ Directron)
    Storage: Mushkin TRIACTOR 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB RS Video Card ($214.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.69 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $554.51
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-17 19:12 EST-0500

We are getting almost there, the GPU could be replaced by a RX470 which looking at benchmarks marks it the best in its class if you can find it decently priced that is, you can always swap out for the 1060s if the games you play swing heavily in Nividias favour.

Price point for the performance has never been this good before, hopefully we see prices go down even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm honestly shocked with the Pentium G4560. It has HyperThreading which is odd considering that this is reserved for i3's. But there are two problems with this CPU. One is that it doesn't have AVX instructions. Which is a big deal if you want to run some emulators, which are starting to require AVX. Don't know about games, but I'd imagine the ones that use AVX would perform faster. This chip is also locked and won't allow overclocking.

I find it odd that people are going nuts for this CPU, cause I just don't see anything special. Sure the price is cheap, but dual core without avx and overclocking seems so 2004. My best advice is to wait for Zen. It won't be long before we get to see some benchmarks and prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I find it odd that people are going nuts for this CPU, cause I just don't see anything special.
    Basically the relatively high clock rate + hyperthreading + amazing price.

Normally HT isn't a big deal, but HT on a 2 core has a much larger performance delta than on a 4 core. It's effectively a perfect HTPC/Media cpu (which before was either an i3 which was 'expensive' at $120 or a Pentium 2/2 which was sometimes too weak) but also a great super budget gaming system, as listed above.

didn't want to start new thread, came across this one which is related to my question. I have really old PC, atm rocking Core2Duo e5700 on 3.5GHz, AMD Radeon r7 250 and 6 GB of RAM. So far i am able to play and raid but i have big FPS (below 10) drops on Skorpyron and Aluriel, and some drops on Botanist.

Would getting g4560 (with appropriate new MB) improve my FPS? Couldn't really find good cpu benchmark comparisons online.