High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

RAID 1 failed drive lead to rebuild on wrong hard drive.

Hello

my RAID 1 lost a drive (it shouldn't have, it was only 2 months old) and now it seems to have rebuilt itself over my D drive. The very D drive that a lot of my programes and saves are on. Now the D drive no longer exists.

What can I do to fix this? Is there a way to undo this problem. I also do not understand how and why it automatically rebuild on a hard drive without consulting me.

10+ Year Old Account
    To clarify what you have, just so we understand it right... You have 3 drives.

(Drive 1 & Drive 2) are in a mirrored RAID 1 for the C drive
    Drive 3 is separate from the mirror as the D drive.

Is it also attached to the RAID controller, or established as a RAID drive (even if its not part of the group)?

Can you take pictures of the RAID configuration during bootup?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I was in a rush and wasn't very clear on the details. They are as follow:

C Drive is an SSD with OS installed
    D Drive (Now missing) Was for programs
    E Drive is an SSD I use as a scratch Disk for editing
    F Drive is RAID 1- two 2tb HDDS converted to RAID 1. - Recently one of the drives did not show up when prompted to access raid control on start up. Now the missing on has come back but labeled as degraded. When I went in to look at it closer it then told me RAID would rebuild upon start up. (Using D drive) I couldn't see any way to stop this from happening at all. So I exited in hopes it wouldn't go through with it, or with the hope I could stop it from happening as it said it happens in the OS. But no dice.

http://imgur.com/a/6RYs2

- - - Updated - - -

As you can see in the image link, 4 and 5 were the drives in the RAID set up. Now some how 2 has replaced 5 after it apparently failed.
    Last edited by chazus; 2017-01-16 at 04:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want to point fingers, but it's likely using the "previously D" drive because its part of the raid. The controller shouldn't just randomly add a drive to the raid array. It should have been out of the array, like the SSD, and listed as a non-raid drive.

Basically the controller had a drive fail and went "oh I see you have another drive in this array, Ill use that"

At this point there's not much you can do but do data recovery. EaseUS Partition Recovery MIGHT be able to restore the old partition but I doubt it, especially if the controller has formatted and started rebuilding the raid partition
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the reply:

Yeah, looking back now I think I must have seen the drive there and thought it was the one that went missing at a glance so I re-added it as a raid member. Or something. I am not entirely sure but it definately wasn't always a member I am sure of that. So would have been something I did yesterday by accident. Oh well.

Regarding data recovery: I did run that software with little hope as it had, as you also say, started to rebuild the raid partition, to no avail.

Alas I am glad I am anal about back ups and the most important files that were on my D drive are also saved on two other externals.

Only thing to do now is to figure out why exactly one of the drives 'failed' to begin with. I still think just a faulty cable, as the drive is running fine now and the cable that drive uses is an off brand sata cable, the only of its kind in my pc. So I suspect it might be a bit dodgy.

Anyway, thank you for the replies. Chalk it up to user error. Don't need to worry about replying again

Regards
    Crazykeven