Should I keep Skinning / Leatherworking? Items provide 0 raid progression?

Hi everyone! I am wondering if I should still keep my skinning (800) / Leatherworking (790) progression for patch 7.15. It seems to me that leatherworking is really quite pointless for raid progression in this expansion. There used to be leg armor enchants which were not too bad but this expansion, it only provides a mount and starting gears up to 850 (with Obliterum). Am I missing out anything?

I am considering switching to jewelcrafting / mining or herbalism / alchemy. What do you guys think?

Appreciate it!

- Reyin (Mistweaver Monk)

The only professions that provide some raid utility are Alchemy and Engineering. Alchemy for the 2 hour duration flasks. Engineering for repair bot, reviving players after fights, etc. Out of the two Engineering is easily the most lack-luster.
    Not sure how long you've had Leatherworking, but if you have recipes that are no longer obtainable I wouldn't think very lightly of ditching it. The item you can buy that saves your profession progress only applies to Legion recipes. Anything you learned from previous expansions will be lost. Most recipes are still in the game and can be re-acquired, but quite a few cannot. Skinning is another story and is easily a profession that you can abandon without any regrets.

Yup I decided to drop skinning in place of enchanting. It helps to clear my spare greens and provides flexibility with enchanting my ring / cloak. I also realise that its more easier to sell enchanting mats as compared to skinning / leatherworking items.

Deleted
    Careful with the dropping of crafting professions: The item that restores Legion-only recipes also ONLY restores recipes that were obtained directly through quests.

Most (if not all) crafting profession recipes needed to be bought, then rank 2 and even rank 3 (at hefty 1,600g per piece), so they will not be given back with the book. Cost of re-learning these is easily in the 8-10k JUST for the rank 3 Legion recipes.

Having said that, there was already a statement in one of the Q&As that they want to make professions viable again in 7.2. Knowing Blizzard, this will be short-term again, but probably be required again for Raid progression. Statement was also back then, that they do not know yet if they will do this via the obliterum stuff (which would royally suck for me as I have destroyed most of the items I had crafted for raid start).

Personally, I've never learned the rank 3 recipes for Tailoring, and don't have any rare recipes from previous exacs. I have enough WoD stuff banked on alts that I can get the skill back up to 700 when I have to learn it again. That's why I have unleared it and learned Alchemy.

I did it once before with Herbalism, but then there was a bug that didn't give me my 3-star starlight rose back, and I've tried getting it back the old fashined way, just to be told by a GM a month (and >1,000 picks) later that it would not have mattered, since the game already assumed that I had done the quest and therefore would not have given it to me again. I still got "duds" (=grey roses), though, so the 3rd star did not apply. GM had to fix it.

I would never consider dumping crafting professions on my main core set of toons. They are what they are, and since I'm not in a server first progression raid team, I don't see a point in those very small personal changes. there are always people with repair mounts or other engineers and flasks/potions aren't that expensive anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by revlous View Post
    Hi everyone! I am wondering if I should still keep my skinning (800) / Leatherworking (790) progression for patch 7.15. It seems to me that leatherworking is really quite pointless for raid progression in this expansion. There used to be leg armor enchants which were not too bad but this expansion, it only provides a mount and starting gears up to 850 (with Obliterum). Am I missing out anything?
    865 actually but that doesn't really help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leather working doesn't seem very profitable at this point. Maybe I'm missing something. If you cant profit with it you can't use the money to even supply yourself with Potions and flasks.

I've been working on my alts just to get a more profitable profession going. I don't want to drop lw, i've been collecting and working on that profession a long time.

Yeah have LW and skinning myself. Had LW since I started my hunter in 2006 so that one will never go! Skinning is another story, but its good to have with LW What it is good for tho is that I can craft 100s on 100s wit blue items that I can send to my mage wich is an enchanter to disenchant. Yup thats the only thing those two are good for atm. That and nostalgia. LW earned me so much gold back in the day.

Would hope they do something cool for proffs in 7.2, we'll see.

LW/Skinning is not bad.
    I'm using drum and mount-utility alot, not planning to drop the profs.

I think blizzard will add legendary crafted armour