10+ Year Old Account

Question A casual's dilemma about Herbalism

Salutations,
    I play a resto druid and I raid two days/week.
    I don't have time for alts and my chosen professions are Alchemy and Herbalism.
    I play WoW since Legion (1 month before actually).

It pisses me off that during Sunday mornings when I have a bit of free time and I go to gather plants I rarely find any, especially in Suramar. There are always DKs, DHs and other druids (mostly this three classes) that roam, always the same names. Bots maybe (some are wearing green armors and having idiotic names).

It's frustrating and I would like something that helps me get some gold and not be so... frustrating

Alternatives that I thought of:
    1). Gather some other plants, not in Suramar: I tried, and found flying bots in two zones...
    2). Switch to mining/eng? I guess it will be the same issue with bots? (I keep reading that eng is fun)
    3). Drop Herb for to Enchanting? I don't think that this will create enough money for 4 flasks + pots / week, I don't know... (1 flask is what, 3-4 chaos shards?)
    4). some other solution (please don't say 'learn to flip AH')

10+ Year Old Account
    Get the bloodhunter shoulder enchant from Wardens if you have enough rep with them. This will make the caches that you pick up contain bloods of sargeras. You can either buy the herbs you need for flasks directly from the blood vendor with them or buy whatever sells for the most on your server, sell that, and then buy the herbs/flasks you need from the AH with the gold you made.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say I've had much problem with herbalism this expansion, and even if other people are in the same area we seem to be able to gather the same herbs. Druids should have a bit of a leg up on the competition as well with travel form. Suramar is one of the more herbalism friendly zones as well, the terrain is flat and easy to navigate; which is surprising given how much Starlight Rose sells for. You might want to have a look at some herbalism maps to get an idea of where the most lucrative circuits are, and if you ever get some time free in an off peak hour you will be a lot luckier all round. herbs aren't as common as they were in previous expansions, but they sell for a lot more when you can get some.
    As for enchanting, it's a fairly good reliable source of money. All materials are still going for a high enough price to justify selling them as raw materials so processing them into enchants isn't required to make some cash. With all the world quests around that offer gear you should have a fast income stream daily with relatively little effort - aim for gear world quests each time you complete an emissary cache and sell off the resulting shards.
    For Bloods - keep an eye of for world quests that offer more than one Blood Of Sargeras (Sometimes up to 6), as these can be easily completed with a group and then traded for materials at the blood trader. As Rivelle mentioned above, you can also grab the Blood Hunter enchant, or if you prefer the herbs stick with Val'Sharah's gathering shoulder enchant. (The fish from this are also very lucrative.)
    Never underestimate gold class hall missions either, which give 1.5k if you can grab the bonus, a decent handful of these tend to pop up every week which keeps me with enough passive income for my flask supply. Most gold missions are over 8 hours, so deck your followers out with some of the items that give 30%/40% success bonus for 8+ hour missions for an easy 200%.
    I can't speak for engineering as I haven't dabbled in it this expansion, and mining I dislike because I always find myself having to search caves, dismounting and slowing me down.
    And make sure you buy your flasks and buff items ahead of raid time, on my server at least Wednesday to Saturday can have 30% higher prices than Sunday to Tuesday.
    Hope this helps, I personally think herbalism is a very good source of income at the moment; but supplementing your income with some of these methods should cut down on the time you have to be running around in circles staring at your minimap.
    Last edited by rrp.nikolai; 2017-02-13 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Terrible grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by rrp.nikolai View Post
    I can't speak for engineering as I haven't dabbled in it this expansion, and mining I dislike because I always find myself having to search caves, dismounting and slowing me down.
    The only good things about Engineering are the shoulder enchant they recently added in and the recent change to not require a consumable to summon Reaves. The enchant can give you hardened felglass, which still sells for 4-5k rather easily. Reaves has much more uses now and I frequently use the wormhole module on it that ports you to a specific zone in the Broken Isles (15 minute cooldown).

If you strongly suspect that people are botting, no harm in reporting them! But yeah, if you can only farm for a little bit on the weekends, and you're on a busy realm, chances are that a gathering profession won't be the best for you.

I guess the question is: what do you want out of your professions? Do you want to make money or just be self-sustainable? Because if the latter: just farm enough for your own pots and flasks and you should be fine right? You could consider a server hopping addon if there are really no herbs around. That seems like less effort than changing your professions and leveling them up!

I use the Val'shara Harvested goods shoulder enchant on 2 x chars.
    Means I get some herbs + fish (for food).

That + a few bloods from running dungeons / the herbs I do pick means pretty self sufficient for flasks.

Deleted
    Suramar is not brokenly overfarmed. sometimes it takes a while to find something but sometimes you also find one rose after the other. And i am on a very populated realm. I am sitting on 130+ pots of old war and 10+ flasks, only doing some farming here and there (I only farm roses in Suramar and buy the other herbs with Bloods).

I was just thinking over the weekend how there is always an ore or herbing node on my map at all times, so much so that it hinders my questing (yes, I'm finally getting around to actually questing in Suramar), since OH there's another 120g, OH another 120g, OH a SEAM! That's 400g, OH 2 more!! It's shit addicting to just go yellow dot to yellow dot.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    There are bots for all kind of herbs, but I think there are most for starlight rose and fjarnskagl. It is getting out of hands and little to nothing is being done about it by Blizzard.

I'm probably going to piss off a lot of people but I canceled my sub so it doesn't affect me: Farm the flower mobs around the area near the entrance to Emerald Nightmare. You can herb them for Dreamleaf and it's a 100% drop. You can also farm the small trees but the drop isn't 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    I'm probably going to piss off a lot of people but I canceled my sub so it doesn't affect me: Farm the flower mobs around the area near the entrance to Emerald Nightmare. You can herb them for Dreamleaf and it's a 100% drop. You can also farm the small trees but the drop isn't 100%.
    true. i got ca 1k dreamleaf after 1-2 hours

Deleted
    Herbing on large servers was a massive pita in early legion, I used to spend hours upon hours for a single stack of potions, competing with huge numbers of other herbalists. Often, it would take several laps around a zone to find a single node.
    It's much, much easier today, I'm not sure if it's only the blood trader that reduced competition, if the spawns are now more numerous, or zones are phased differently. Strange that it's still so bad on yours.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    With Alchemy (2h flask) and Herbalism you should farm more than enough herbs in 30 minutes for 2 days of raid (4 flasks, PoPP are basically a byproduct as long as you use the Wardens enchant)

I did the leyline WQ on Suramar yesterday and passed by 20+ Starlight Rose nodes before finishing the WQ. If your server is so full of bots just hop on another to farm, there are more herbs than mobs in this expansion

Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    With Alchemy (2h flask) and Herbalism you should farm more than enough herbs in 30 minutes for 2 days of raid (4 flasks, PoPP are basically a byproduct as long as you use the Wardens enchant)

I did the leyline WQ on Suramar yesterday and passed by 20+ Starlight Rose nodes before finishing the WQ. If your server is so full of bots just hop on another to farm, there are more herbs than mobs in this expansion
    Please dont realm hop.

I am on a low server pop, and was farming herbs easy, from 3 weeks ago to now its impossible to farm now, specially starlight.. A ton of realm hoppers farming there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Please dont realm hop.

I am on a low server pop, and was farming herbs easy, from 3 weeks ago to now its impossible to farm now, specially starlight.. A ton of realm hoppers farming there

Don't farm during rush hours. It's not MoP, there's plenty of space to allow an extra 20-30% of farmers from other servers without harm.

Then again, I farm only to test new methods for the guildies so there might be an horde of russian hackers flying all over Suramar for what I know

Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    Don't farm during rush hours. It's not MoP, there's plenty of space to allow an extra 20-30% of farmers from other servers without harm.

Then again, I farm only to test new methods for the guildies so there might be an horde of russian hackers flying all over Suramar for what I know
    The problem is i am on brazil, and mostly os people realm hopping is from usa... The only time i got to do my farm farm is 1am to 3am br time, which for br time was good, almost no competition... But well.. For people at los Angeles area its 9pm to 11pm and cst 11pm to 1am.. So yeah, this fuck me up

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and don't forget, anytime you are herbing - invest in some Darkmoon Firewater to double your gathering speed, and Demonsteel Stirrups to be able to pick herbs while mounted. (Or use that annoy ugly Shredder mount. If you chose this path do yourself a favor and download an addon the mutes the sound effects )
    If your going for a long run you might want to consider Leystone Hoofplates to keep you slightly faster than the competition (doesn't stack with Death Knight/Paladin bonus, or pathfinder.)
    And Stonehide Leather Barding will stop you getting dazed which should give you another edge, or at least make farming slightly less annoying (If you are in a tank spec you won't get dazed at all so this isn't required).

Some of these items can get pretty expensive but herbalism is in a state right now where you'll earn the Gold back within the first 15mins.
    Last edited by rrp.nikolai; 2017-03-11 at 02:19 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rrp.nikolai View Post
    Oh and don't forget, anytime you are herbing - invest in some Darkmoon Firewater to double your gathering speed, and Demonsteel Stirrups to be able to pick herbs while mounted. (Or use that annoy ugly Shredder mount. If you chose this path do yourself a favor and download an addon the mutes the sound effects )
    If your going for a long run you might want to consider Leystone Hoofplates to keep you slightly faster than the competition (doesn't stack with Death Knight/Paladin bonus, or pathfinder.)
    And Stonehide Leather Barding will stop you getting dazed which should give you another edge, or at least make farming slightly less annoying (If you are in a tank spec you won't get dazed at all so this isn't required).

Some of these items can get pretty expensive but herbalism is in a state right now where you'll earn the Gold back within the first 15mins.
    There are gloves enchants for gethering (and archaeology) skills in Legion and they don't stack with darkmoon firewater. Blood DK or Prot pally with golem are a must for a gatherer