Thread: BoS Uptime

BoS Uptime

Anyone have any information as to what sort of up time on Breath would you need for it to be a better choice over the standard Icy Talons style build?

Trying to get a feel for what talents/spec will be stronger for bosses in Nighthold.

Someone over here linked Magdalena's explanation of why uptime does not matter much as long as you maximize your BoS output during the windows of increased damage (on-use trinkets + PoF + damage pot).

Is it better to wait for 2nd rune weapon to breath? since the cd doesnt sync up with breath.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woop Woop View Post
    Is it better to wait for 2nd rune weapon to breath? since the cd doesnt sync up with breath.
    Depends on the fight-length, but generally if you dont have the Ring use Breath on CD.
    If you have the ring, its a lot easier as its possible to have 1x HRW-Charge for each of the typical 3x Breath.
    That means you will get 3x Breath with an average of ~50 seconds (without set bonus).

Many players make the mistake to try an maximize BoS-uptime, this is not a good solution for most encounters.
    Instead, BoS should be aligned during phases where chances for a loss of uptime are pretty low (directly after movement-phases).
    All CD's are used during that 40-60 seconds Burst-Period and once BoS runs out its about 1min with standard Froststrike-Rotation until the next BoS. The first two BoS can nearly fully profit from the 2500 Strength Pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalkatrazz View Post
    Someone over here linked Magdalena's explanation of why uptime does not matter much as long as you maximize your BoS output during the windows of increased damage (on-use trinkets + PoF + damage pot).
    "Doesnt matter" is a false allegation. It does matter as BoS is always above Froststrike when it comes to efficiency, but its not viable as 100% uptime is not guaranteed in almost any encounter. Its quite easy to completely waste an HRW-charge simply because a (random-target) movement phase appears 2-3 seconds after the Charge has been used.

Its about MIN-MAX.
    The player should always aim for the highest possible uptime during an encounter while still playing the mechanics properly.
    This means that for a properly executed BoS-Rotation its necessary to completely understand the boss-encounter and its fight dynamic.
    Last edited by mmoccd570e1571; 2017-01-18 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadfulDave View Post
    "Doesnt matter" is a false allegation. It does matter as BoS is always above Froststrike when it comes to efficiency, but its not viable as 100% uptime is not guaranteed in almost any encounter. Its quite easy to completely waste an HRW-charge simply because a (random-target) movement phase appears 2-3 seconds after the Charge has been used.

Its about MIN-MAX.
    The player should always aim for the highest possible uptime during an encounter while still playing the mechanics properly.
    This means that for a properly executed BoS-Rotation its necessary to completely understand the boss-encounter and its fight dynamic.
    I didn't say it doesn't matter at all. I said it does not matter much; combining BoS with damage-increasing buffs like PoF, potion, on-use trinkets etc. is the more important point of this playstyle than just trying to maximize its duration. Basically, all of your damage-increasing stuff expires 30-35 seconds into the fight; so if your BoS is interrupted AFTER that period, it's less critical than interrupting it while, say, your Pillar is up.

The part I put in bold italics actually applies to every single DPS playstyle that exists in the game.

@DreadfulDave is correct. Try not to focus so much on the uptime (this is still important as 10 second breath's suck) but focus more on loading as much damage into that period of time as possible. On Tichondrius, I would breath on start and then breath again once I had the 30 second damage buff coming out of the illusion phase. I would have to hold it for a few seconds to get this to line up, but that's okay. Saving BoS for a period of time like Skorp's increased damage phase or the turbo fast phase on Chronomatic is where you want to focus.

I went from roughly 25%-35% uptime on fights with wildly different results. Almost broke 600K on Krosus with around 30% uptime. It's all about loading in that damage as heavy as you can during breath and using it correctly. Hoping for at least 2pc tonight because with the leggy helm my HB damage is already gnarly.

I pray that they revert the "bugfix" on runic empowerment.
    Not only to help with BoS uptime, but I often don't get a single proc from an entire RP bar of frost strikes. It's infuriating.

Deleted
    Tests and logs is proving that, BoS uptime is not that important, as lining up everything during BoS(but without comprimising too much before BoS). Which means you need to learn when the raid will BL and think of the optimal times on when you will do BoS.