My computers lifespan, can I get 2-3 more years out of it?

Hi, I was looking into building a 4k gaming PC - I have the funds, I just cannot justify spending that much at this time. I was hoping to wait 2-3 more years for technology to improve and prices to drop.

In the meantime I wanted to build a high end 1440p PC, which I very much can afford, however I don't feel its worth spending that much just to last me a few years til 4k is readily available so I was wondering if upgrading my current PC to last a few more years would be worth it.

My main concern is it has some age to it. It will be 6 years in July and has HEAVY use. I was planning to upgrade the RAM and get a GTX 1070 in the meantime, do you think my other PC components will last 3 more years? If it ends up going bad I would just upgrade to my 1440p build, I would just prefer not to.

Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz overclocked to 3.7GHz (Thermal paste is probably dried up and might have been for awhile)
    Coolermaster Hyper N520 CPU fan
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
    8 gigs single channel DDR3 532MHz 7-7-7-20
    Nvidia GTX 570

A fan inside clangs around sometimes, I think it is the GTX 570 but it quiets down sometimes.

It currently runs on SSD that I added about a year ago, so I am not worried about HDD failure for now.

Would a PC this old even be worth the upgrade? Would adding more RAM and a GTX 1070 even be worth it to attempt to make it a 1080p monster?

Thanks for the input!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkas View Post
    Hi, I was looking into building a 4k gaming PC - I have the funds, I just cannot justify spending that much at this time. I was hoping to wait 2-3 more years for technology to improve and prices to drop.

In the meantime I wanted to build a high end 1440p PC, which I very much can afford, however I don't feel its worth spending that much just to last me a few years til 4k is readily available so I was wondering if upgrading my current PC to last a few more years would be worth it.

My main concern is it has some age to it. It will be 6 years in July and has HEAVY use. I was planning to upgrade the RAM and get a GTX 1070 in the meantime, do you think my other PC components will last 3 more years? If it ends up going bad I would just upgrade to my 1440p build, I would just prefer not to.

Intel i7 2600k 3.4GHz overclocked to 3.7GHz (Thermal paste is probably dried up and might have been for awhile)
    Coolermaster Hyper N520 CPU fan
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
    8 gigs single channel DDR3 532MHz 7-7-7-20
    Nvidia GTX 570

A fan inside clangs around sometimes, I think it is the GTX 570 but it quiets down sometimes.

It currently runs on SSD that I added about a year ago, so I am not worried about HDD failure for now.

Would a PC this old even be worth the upgrade? Would adding more RAM and a GTX 1070 even be worth it to attempt to make it a 1080p monster?

Thanks for the input!
    Drop in a more powerful cooler, like a Noctua NH-D15 / Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 (Pro) / Cryorig R1 Ultimate.
    With this you get a tube of better thermal paste as well.

NOTE: BEFORE YOU CONSIDER DOING THIS, YOU WOULD NEED TO KNOW YOUR CASE CPU COOLER HEIGHT ALLOWANCE.

You then crank the CPU all the way up to 4,8GHz and up to 5,2GHz if you have a golden sample.

Upgrade RAM to 16GB faster than what you have now (1600MHz would do fine if you go high CPU OC).
    Possibly drop in a new GPU, say RX 480 or GTX 1060 for the mid-end which should crap all over your 570.

This would also resolve the rattling if the 570 or the CPU fan was the issue.
    It can also be your case fans, in which case they can be exchanged easily and relatively cheaply.

That way you can draw out 3 more years no problem, the 2600K is no slouch.
    You should to be able to crank out 1080p 60FPS no issues, no need to spend money on a GTX 1070 right now.

Wait with that till you hit your big build.

AS Evil said, if you just upgrade your RAM, CPU Cooler and GPU to a 1060, you have a great 1080p machine. If you really wanted to though, the 1070 would make it a great 1440p system already.

Deleted
    I've been running on a 5+ years old i7-2600k on a Z68 motherboard with 16gb RAM.
    The first upgrade I did was a GTX 980TI back in mid 2015 when they first launched. My second "upgrade" was this week: a case fan, because one of my fans was dying.

I can run every single game out there at 1080p @ 120hz on ultra settings, without ever dipping below 100+ fps. I only plan to upgrade again in a year or two once I make the move to an ultra-wide 1440p or a 4K setup.

So yes, the extra RAM and a new GPU will make your computer a 1080p monster.

Get better cooler and overclock, upgrade RAM throw in a modern GPU and good to go. I upgraded from a 2500k to a 6600k and regret it.