Question [Elemental] LR and IF for ST

Hey, i have tested the new builds on dummy & simcraft for like 3 hours
    and notice someting - i was doing more damage with LR then with IF by about 5-10% every time,
    i did make sure that my rotation was as it should be i also simcraft it and it seems that LR and IF is in the same place for ST
    however the issue with IF is that sometimes its impossible to execute to rotation properly without delaying some cd,
    which makes LR be abit better and for sure much less complex

Does anyone use LR instead of IF for ST and does it seems to work better with it? (LR with echo not magma totem)

it might also related to the fact that i have 2set, might make that build better

It does benefit the most from the 2 piece but even without it it still is within a few k DPS of IF/Asc and you get better AoE with it. I am using LRod with my current gear and I like it. The only thing that will make me switch to Asc is if I get the legendary belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjango View Post
    and notice someting - i was doing more damage with LR then with IF by about 5-10% every time,
    i did make sure that my rotation was as it should be i also simcraft it and it seems that LR and IF is in the same place for ST
    however the issue with IF is that sometimes its impossible to execute to rotation properly without delaying some cd,

Does anyone use LR instead of IF for ST and does it seems to work better with it? (LR with echo not magma totem)

it might also related to the fact that i have 2set, might make that build better
    You sure you werent cleaving some to another dummy with LR?

also IF has a big plus over LR, movment

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have noticed the same. The 9% lightning bolt buff in the class balance hotfix seems to have put LR ahead even on single target. (I have 2 set)

I have about 76% mastery 22% crit 26% haste and LR (with echo) does slightly higher DPS than Ascendance on single target. If the sims are indeed correct then LR will be viable on fights that dont favour burst massively. (or require alot of movement)

Burst favouring fights would be skorpyron, elisande and guldan.
    Last edited by TripleZero; 2017-01-20 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleZero View Post
    I have noticed the same. The 9% lightning bolt buff in the class balance hotfix seems to have put LR ahead even on single target. (I have 2 set)

I have about 76% mastery 22% crit 26% haste and LR (with echo) does slightly higher DPS than Ascendance on single target. If the sims are indeed correct then LR will be viable on fights that dont favour burst massively. (or require alot of movement)

Burst favouring fights would be skorpyron, elisande and guldan.
    That would be really interesting. If the buff to LB would be enough to surpass IF on ST would mean, that IF wasnt so far ahead anyway. How much is a 9% LB buff worth in total for LR ST? Maybe 2%? I thought that IF was (before the buff) miles ahead of LR in singletarget, i am talking 20-30%. Who gives a flying f*ck about a mere 2% (if not member of Method or comparable).

I did a bunch of simming just now and found similar results. I was simming about the same as with ascendance with the legendary belt and without the 2 piece set bonus. I imagine LR surpasses ascendance with the 2 set bonus. It's a nice choice to have, and I think I'll be going back to LR because I hate that feeling of having to move during ascendance.

As for movement, I honestly don't feel that much more mobile with IF over LR (it is, however, noticeable compared to ascendance though due to the 15 second long ascendance period where you must turret or lose all your dps). With IF, there are so many times where you need to cast IF or SK or EB or LvB, and it always feels like the times I need to move are exactly when that's the important thing to cast next in my rotation rather than during the 4 frostshocks or a flame shock or whatever else. With LR build and gust of wind, it doesn't feel as punishing to gust and move because all you're missing out on is maybe an EB by a few seconds and maybe a LB -- not as much punishment for missing cast timings. Besides, gust of wind makes everything better. Of course, IF is technically more mobile, but it requires a lot of attention and luck to make it actually make much of a difference.
    Last edited by Kargos; 2017-01-20 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjango View Post

Can promise you're not playing IF correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hashcrypt View Post
    Go take a look at sims again. And the sims definitely play better than you can in a raid environment.

I'm hijacking the thread a bit but about LR : if I CL a pack of 5 mob and it overload on each of them... does each overload has a chance to proc LR on their main target ? (dunno if i'm being clear?)

cheers

Homophobia is so gay.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    I'm hijacking the thread a bit but about LR : if I CL a pack of 5 mob and it overload on each of them... does each overload has a chance to proc LR on their main target ? (dunno if i'm being clear?)

cheers
    I dont think overloads procc LR at all. So no afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Hashcrypt View Post
    i did it with simcraft not myself, have you notice any diff with both builds? you tried LR instead of IF?

I think that after the latest 9% buff to LB, LR is closer to the other builds.
    A lot will depends on your Mastery though, with Totems adding another 10% on LB only, it does complicate the cap if you're close to them.
    I'm actually tempted to see if grabbing Molten is not better if you can hit the 86.5% point from gear.

LR is simming the best for me to at 512k, compared to 508k for Icefury and 506k for Ascendance. My gear has a lot of Mastery and Haste on it because I'm transitioning off of playing Enhancement in 7.1.

Deleted
    If you are unlucky with mastery/crit items and have haste instead its favouring lightning rod build. Fster casts = more LR uptime. Also more lightning bolts in during LR proc. 2 set is another 3% dmg, 4 set is 9%. While for ascendance itd 1,6 % 2 piece and 6% 4 set. For IF 2 set is awful, 4 set is nice I sim higher for LR by 7k even for 3:30 (favouring ascendance!!). IF is 500 dps ahead for single target = realisticaly a bit worse if I do some mistakes. What I dont like is when LR doesnt proc on pull. But its awesome if there is anything for cleave. I dont like it for its rng (LR + stronkeeper feel good, but if you dont have tge proc you feel something is missing), but yeah i can live with it.

LR is the worst designed spell ever. "switch target to make the most use of spamming a 5 hit aoe spell" ... makes sense or not.

Homophobia is so gay.