does reducing int/ag/str affect casters more then melees

I just read the pvp hotfixes, that the main stat for all non-healing specs got reduced again. I'm really a friend of that, cause in my opinion the games are way to fast paced. At least for 3s.

But i asked myself, if nerfing main stats is actually worse for caster specs? Cause their spells do scale with spell power, which is just affected by intellect. Then I did look how DH dmg works. An alot abilites just scale with weapon power and not attack power. And as far as I know, agility just affects attack power.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I right, that these nerfs are actually way worse for example a Warlock then a DH?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you're right that it affects them more. Caster/healing classes got more % of the main stat in their templates because they depend entirely on it when dealing dmg/healing. Global, uniform reductions of the main stat will obviously hurt those classes more.

To be honest, these changes are pretty ridicolous then. Nerfing DMG for all is fine, but doing that this way is just unfair then.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Honestly I don't understand why blizzard doesn't just make spells scale from weapon damage as well and make caster weapons work the same way with other weapons. It would make everything easier to balance
    Not playing a caster yet, but didn't caster weapons have bonus Magical Power and, when it was removed, got extra Int to compensate? Which means they have higher primary stats anyway?

(Honest question, please correct me if wrong)

If casters do have higher primary stats anyway, the nerf would be even worse for them..

Quote Originally Posted by Zurubar View Post
    If casters do have higher primary stats anyway, the nerf would be even worse for them..
    Depends on how much higher the primary stats are for them. Hypothetical example: If melee has 100 stat and ranged have 110, the 5% nerf would leave them at 95 and 104.5 respectively. Yes, ranged lost more but are still higher.

I'm just trying to make sense of these changes and see how big they truly are. Someone who knows better than me should add their thoughts.

Well you are thinking in the wrong direction. The current dmg from spells gets calculated with this higher primary stat (if that is rly the situation) and not with the absolut primary stat. And if you take away a percentage of a higher primary stat, which then gets multiplicated with a factor like 200% or something like that, the effective reduction is even higher. You know what i mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Zurubar View Post
    Well you are thinking in the wrong direction. The current dmg from spells gets calculated with this higher primary stat (if that is rly the situation) and not with the absolut primary stat. And if you take away a percentage of a higher primary stat, which then gets multiplicated with a factor like 200% or something like that, the effective reduction is even higher. You know what i mean?
    I think I understand. While I'm not bad with math, I never really took interest in understand how all the math in WoW works.