Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by plekz View Post
    sunwell's ''difficulty'' is wildedly exagerated for a few reasons, number one being m'uru, which wasn't so much a ''hard'' fight as it was a return to form to the retarded 'design flaws' that you saw in naxxramas 40-man with 4 horsemen. ie that it was forced classstacking out the ass. it was also an extremely uneven fight in terms of 'dynamic' you had a period of 6+ minutes where you stood and guarded a fucking doorway that every (x) seconds a pack would spawn and run towards you, meanwhile a tank kited another add that spawned in the midpart of the room.
    I know how the fight went; I killed it pre-nerf. It didn't force class-stacking like Four Horsemen even by your description far below; so far this reads like quoting all the "I heard this but wasn't there" material I've seen over and over since Cata.

recruitment during the tier was further complicated due to the fact that progress was still going on in the middle of summer, and to make matters worse it was a year where you had international tournaments in football going on aswell.
    Which has zip to do with boss design.

outside of m'uru though, the bosses weren't really all that complicated or hard
    Sure, when you went in with Wrath talents or at 80.

which is reflected in how fast each boss died after each of the gates opened in there.
    As opposed to now, when raids are NOT cleared damn near same day as release by the top 10 while usually not remotely outgearing it. Oh wait, that does happen and blows this point out of the water.

another thing to consider is that tons of guilds were weakened significantly when the race for sunwell began, due simply to the fact that alot of people had quit during the extreme time period that passed between black temple and sunwell being released.

i mean, you had top 10 ranked guilds that shut their doors completly and left the game even in that time period. praemium callidus for instance on magtheridon eu.
    The point here appears to be "Things seem harder for less-skilled players." You know, it's just too easy to point out how that applies to the supposed difficulty increase now. Would you also like to deny Blizzard directly saying they would never make a Sunwell difficult raid again?

sartharion 3d is a poor example
    Because reasons. Wait, let me guess, how dare a fight require more than two tanks taunt-swapping and trying to stay awake. Fewer boss abilities because fewer ways to counter them.

as for ulduar, for people with little raiding experience prior it would probably seem like everest, but again for seasoned guilds the only fights that are really talked about there are mimiron and freya.
    Because back then, it was at expected difficulty for a middle tier. I could point out you forgot Yogg 0.

you didn't really have the complexity that you have today, in how fight mechanics can interact with eachother
    You mean like Mythic Archie, where a WeakAura could beat the most dangerous mechanics of two phases and the rest was a laughably predictable if annoying pattern? Maybe Xhul, where the majority of the dps could bounce between two spots while two or three ranged handled the chains? The fact that most mechanics can be handed off to a few people doesn't exactly support the idea of dramatic difficulty increases.

I could also point out the overall design shift when they went to multiple difficulties. There's more FUs because of infinite heals and (albeit fewer post-pruning) anti-fuckup abilities, mainly because you've likely memorized $LowerDifficulty before beating $HigherDifficulty.

and no, naxx 40 wasn't some ''amazing raid'' really, it had a few good ideas, but plenty of downright awful fights
    There were a few that were crap, yes. The overall raid was the hardest that had been seen at that time.

the myth of it's difficulty is further enhanced by the fact that you needed a minimum of six (preferably eight) warriors with 4 pieces of dreadnaught for 4 horsemen tore countless guilds apart as guilds higher up on the foodchain poached tanks left-right & center to compensate for one of the dumbest fucking design ideas iv'e ever seen in a game in my 35+ years on this earth.
    Funny how this is the sole complaint that's ever expressed in any detail about Naxx.

If it makes you feel better, at no point did I say anything like "raiders today aren't as good as the old days" which seems to be what people are taking away. All I've said is numerically fewer abilities back then for both players and encounters. Just like people conflate button count with complexity, they also conflate ability count with complexity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    so far this
    no it doesn't, and yes it forced classtacking out the ass. you didn't even use holy priests there, you had one shadow for the dispell, and then the rest of your priests hung around outside the instance portal to buff the raid before you ran in. the term 'bush priest' got invented during sunwell progression.

and then if you could, you ran a minimum of four hunters and as many warlocks as you could fit in. with stacked grouped where every single person had either heroism/bloodlust by default or leatherworking for drums.

so far this
    Sure[/quote]

not really, bosses didn't live long at all once the gate keeping guilds from progressing came down, and this was prior to the insanity levels you see today in terms of progression, when you have guilds doing 3-400 pulls on a boss in a matter of a couple of days. back then you still had some sort of semblence of resonable raiding times.

As opposed to now
    that has alot to do with it being impossible to 'tier' bosses for the amount of time/assets avaliable to the guilds at the very top, without them intentionally 'breaking' encounters outright like you saw back in vanilla with the original incarnation of ragnaros and c'thun for instance. i mean, pretend topguilds did 14-15 hour raids, 7 days a week in vanilla and that content would have died so fast it wouldn't even have been funny.

you realize when bwl for instance got released guilds tore through it all the way up to nefarian in less then 48 hrs right? (and this was back when you raided 4 hours and maybe extended for an additional couple of hours on occasion)

same with aq40, people got up to hu'huran same night as they went in there. hu'huran stopping progress for a little bit because of the 'resistance check'

Would you also like to deny Blizzard directly saying they would never make a Sunwell difficult raid again?
    you are taking that quote entirely out of context, it's more so about making sure you have a progression line throughout the tier, where the difficulty ramps up, instead of having it as a flat line and then a sudden massive spike (that spike would be m'uru)

You mean like Mythic Archie
    no i was thinking more along the lines of heroic ragnaros.