Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Degn89 View Post
    I'm not saying people pretend to be religious (Some probably do), I'm saying people are very prone to thinking they are one thing while in reality they are something else. Especially when it comes to something as vague as being religious. By all means, feel free to make a list of what can undeniably be called requirements for being religious, then we can get an idea of how many people are actually religious.
    No thanks. You are creating your own standards, that have nothing to do with the leaders or writings of leaders of these religions. Most normal people ascribe a person's religion to be what they say it is. Your "test standard" is not an actual thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I think your point is what is silly. No offense. I really doubt the majority of the planet is just pretending to be religious. That's just...bizarre.

Majority of people though Earth was flat just few centuries ago? I know its not similar thing but how many of religious people you know actually follow doctrine of their religion to the letter?
    Last edited by markos82; 2017-01-20 at 05:50 PM.

Deleted
    No thanks. You are creating your own standards, that have nothing to do with the leaders or writings of leaders of these religions. Most normal people ascribe a person's religion to be what they say it is. Your "test standard" is not an actual thing.
    And that is exactly my point. People get to say whatever they are, and in America most people would identify as being christian. If you did any kind of testing beyond asking people what they believe they are, the numbers could easily be quite different.

Edit: And just to say it again, people can't be trusted to accurately describe themselves, and therefore asking people if they are religious is a bad way to check how many are actually religious.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Majority of planets though Earth was flat just few centuries ago? I know its not similar thing but how many of religious people you know actually follow doctrine of their religion to the letter?
    What difference does that make, to my point, or yours?

- - - Updated - - -

And that is exactly my point. People get to say whatever they are, and in America most people would identify as being christian. If you did any kind of testing beyond asking people what they believe they are, the numbers could easily be quite different.
    Why would we do that? What is your POINT, in saying that most religious people are somehow faking it or whatever? I truly do not understand what you are on about.

But it's ok, their backwards ass middle eastern religion is good and right because reasons, unlike that other middle eastern religion with the same god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Majority of planets though Earth was flat just few centuries ago? I know its not similar thing but how many of religious people you know actually follow doctrine of their religion to the letter?
    That is true, most nitpick what suits them like the anti-abortion crowd and ignore what doesn't suit them, like no person is allowed to judge another.

Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post
    50% of the inauguration speech was talking about God and Jesus.

This is why American government, politics is in ruins.

Separate the two.

God is not our president. Donald Trump is now, and he cant put all the blame or pressure on God.
    Politicians can talk about their religious beliefs all they want. Stop trying to censor people. Regardless, history shows that the only time US politics have been declining is when liberal agenda gets involved, every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

Why would we do that? What is your POINT, in saying that most religious people are somehow faking it or whatever? I truly do not understand what you are on about.
    People say they are religious when they are not. Unless even the slightest notion of believing anything related to christianity is enough to qualify as a christian and religious, then I guess most americans are right when they say they are religious and christian. My point is that it would be as bad a way to know for sure as it would be to ask people whether or not they are vegetarians or if they smoke or whatever. "Oh, I only smoke in the weekends, so I don't really smoke" - "Oh, I don't eat any meat except fish and chicken, so I'm obviously vegetarian", etc. People are generally stupid as fuck, and asking them what they believe they are is not a very solid way of determining anything.

The problem is that when you ask a " religious" person does he believe in God he will say yes because he/she thinks/feels that is the correct answer. But vast majority of religious people don;t know a thing about religion except promises that they have been told will await them. Believing in God isnt the only part that makes you religious....

People say they are religious when they are not. Unless even the slightest notion of believing anything related to christianity is enough to qualify as a christian and religious, then I guess most americans are right when they say they are religious and christian. My point is that it would be as bad a way to know for sure as it would be to ask people whether or not they are vegetarians or if they smoke or whatever. "Oh, I only smoke in the weekends, so I don't really smoke" - "Oh, I don't eat any meat except fish and chicken, so I'm obviously vegetarian", etc. People are generally stupid as fuck, and asking them what they believe they are is not a very solid way of determining anything.
    This comment shows a complete lack of comprehension of most christian religion denominations beliefs. You can be religious and not be perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is that when you ask a " religious" person does he believe in God he will say yes because he/she thinks/feels that is the correct answer. But vast majority of religious people don;t know a thing about religion except promises that they have been told will await them. Believing in God isnt the only part that makes you religious....
    Blindly following is what makes it religious. IE - science.
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Actually, yes. Yes it does. In fact, belief in a deity is the foundation of nearly every religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    Blindly following is what makes it religious. IE - science.
    You are so wrong., Science if a different thing, science s seeking answers by asking the questions and trying to find the answers, Science is adapting. Religion is a different thing, it doesnt give answers and sticks to the things that are old as bible

People think God is important.
    People think the Kardashians are important. Doesn't mean talking about them has a place during a presidential inauguration.

And the Kardashians even have the advantage being actually real.

You are so wrong., Science if a different thing, science s seeking answers by asking the questions and trying to find the answers, Science is adapting. Religion is a different thing, it doesnt give answers and sticks to the things that are old as bible
    You obviously don't know what defines words.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are no requirements to being religious other than people claiming that they believe. When counting groups per religion those people aren't subject to your requirements.

Not to mention there's a reason religions added a way to ask for forgiveness it was to grew their ranks, much like buying of sins was to spice their coffers. Ironically that means the vatican was build with money from sins, blood money.

Actually, yes. Yes it does. In fact, belief in a deity is the foundation of nearly every religion.
    So how many people that believe in God actually believe in Big Bang?

- - - Updated - - -

You obviously don't know what defines words.
    I wouldnt think so....

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    People think the Kardashians are important. Doesn't mean talking about them has a place during a presidential inauguration.

And the Kardashians even have the advantage being actually real.
    You have proof God doesn't exist? Please share with the rest of the class. You also are comparing apples and oranges. You must be a piece of shit because people think shit is important by your logic and you shit. See how that works? It doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

So how many people that believe in God actually believe in Big Bang?

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldnt think so....
    A significant amount. Look up the LDS religions belief on the big bang.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh to have so little real problems that you start complaining about a politician's religion.

Do you have any sort of source on your vast majority quote? Didn't think so. I could say the same thing about atheists and have just as much evidence as you. None. Or if you want to go anecdotal, which you probably will, I once had a friend who was an atheist and always talked about being an atheist and he never really had anything to do with religion, but then he started reading about various world religions and now he's a reverend.

Or you could talk about Sweden because atheists on the internet like to talk about Sweden as some kind of atheist paradise, and while the youth isn't very religious I lived in Sweden for eight years and only knew a single person over the age of 20 that wasn't either Christian or Muslim, though most of them didn't attend services.

You have proof God doesn't exist?
    A ludicrous argument as it shifts the burden of proof from the claimant to others, aside from the fact that proving a negative in this situation is nigh impossible.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

You have proof God doesn't exist? Please share with the rest of the class. You also are comparing apples and oranges. You must be a piece of shit because people think shit is important by your logic and you shit. See how that works? It doesn't.
    Prove me that god does exist... Believing in one doesnt make it anymore real than me believing I can run 10km in 10min with my feet tied....

A significant amount. Look up the LDS religions belief on the big bang.
    So a significant amount believes in God as a creator of Earth , the center of everything but they also believe in Big bang theory?