Question Upgrade suggestions!

Hey fam,

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9Vntr7

That's my current rig and I was thinking it was time to make some upgrades. Mainly will be playing Overwatch, and thinking about getting back to FFXIV when the expansion hits. I seem to have fps drops quite frequently and I thought it would be nice to upgrade before June. I play LoL very, very rarely now but just threw it out there lol.

GPU (price range around 4-500): thinking about 970 but open to suggestions. I have heard bad stuff about 10X series.

Memory (free range): Was thinking about upgrading to 16GB now from my 8GB. Open for suggestions about what type of brand etc.

Keyboard (free range): Currently I'm using a DAS keyboard...not really sure about what type of key click it is. I heard good stuff about corsair k70. Suggestions please

Monitor (honestly, I understand it can get pricey but open to suggestions, minimum 300+): Currently I have a 27 inch curved Samsung monitor I bought off Costco a while back. I prefer staying with a 24-27 inch monitor, has to have 144hz and 1ms minimum however. My current monitor doesn't have any of that and I'm sure I can get some great collective feedback from you all about which are good choices.

Thank you all

You heard bad stuff about the 10xx series yet you want to buy the one card in recent history that has actual issues (4GB onboard RAM of which only 3.5 GB is fully functional as it should). If going Nvidia buy a 10xx card, they are a lot faster then the 9xx series for the games mentioned at 1080p at GTX 1060 should be plenty, if you want to go 1440p grab a 1070.

If you want more ram (not needed for gaming btw) you should buy identical to the one you have or buy a completely new set. Mixing ram can have all sorts of issues and even if it works it will work at the lowest speeds of the ones in the system.

As for a monitor, if you want to play shooters competitively go for a G-sync 144hz one if you go 27 inch I would recommend a 1440p one as 1080 p get some large-ish pixels which is an issue for some people.

So ill just go over the things you have mentioned.

GPU: I havent heard any bad things about the 10XX series, but I will say i have heard a bunch of bad stuff about AMD's video cards. Blizz games run better on nvidia.

Ram: I recommend getting atleast 16 gigs, 8 is starting to show its age.

Keyboard: thats all on you buddy lol. Personally im not that picky when it comes to it, I did buy the Razer black widow chroma (i love the customization of the pretty lights lol)

Monitor: I personally like the ultrawides by LG, as far as gsync goes I couldnt really see a difference between having the gsync and not having it. Just make sure its IPS through.

Looking at your current config I would recommend upgrading the SSD 120 hardly holds all the blizzard games now a days. The brand of SSD I recomend is Samsung

Lastly, never mix and match your RAM. Newegg has stupid good deals atleast once a month for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purrfekt View Post

GPU: I havent heard any bad things about the 10XX series, but I will say i have heard a bunch of bad stuff about AMD's video cards. Blizz games run better on nvidia.

Keyboard: thats all on you buddy lol. Personally im not that picky when it comes to it, I did buy the Razer black widow chroma (i love the customization of the pretty lights lol)

Monitor: I personally like the ultrawides by LG, as far as gsync goes I couldnt really see a difference between having the gsync and not having it. Just make sure its IPS through.

Looking at your current config I would recommend upgrading the SSD 120 hardly holds all the blizzard games now a days. The brand of SSD I recomend is Samsung

Lastly, never mix and match your RAM. Newegg has stupid good deals atleast once a month for it.
    Funny thing is, Nvidia have been more issues driver wise for a while now, on my 780, it was just daft, AMD have been putting out some solid drivers and the cards are pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jml0uItdnE

In fairness both vendors can have issues, but when it comes to Blizz games, yes they run better on Nvidia hardware but once you use cards like RX 470 and above, it doesn't matter, games like overwatch generate huge framerates that its meh point.

When it comes to WoW, raiding doesn't matter, both GPU vendors will be bottlenecked by the CPU at this point, world content, depends on your settings, Nvidia allows a bit more settings to be higher and HBAO+ can be used with less impact compared to AMD cards, otherwise both produce decent FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Purrfekt View Post

I agree with you on the RAM, I do plan on getting 2x8GB sticks to replace my current ones.

As for the SSD, I plan on cleaning unused and unnecessary files so it won't be a problem, I hardly play much games anymore for me to be interested in another HD. Thank you however.

I really appreciate all the input I've gotten so far, but I'm looking for some actual product suggestions to help me decide!

Anyone able to help a bud out? ^^

Is the 1080 worth it?

If you go for 1440p at 144hz then a gtx 1080 is more then worth it.