BrM: handling stagger

Hello,

As aspiring BrM I am looking for advise on how to handle stagger. Obviously there is no pre-defined golden rule which works for every situation and one needs to play/be more experienced. Yet I am interested in your exprience from high M+/raiding scenarios.

How do you handle stagger? Do you start purifying at some specific value (perhaps percent based)?

Any tipps would be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks

Depends on the content, incoming tank damage, incoming raid damage, current health, and amount of ISB you manage to stack.

In Nighthold this week, I frequently let my stagger float at around 80-100, waiting til 120+ to purify. Of course, I do have the legendary ring, so this is less dangerous to me than most other Brewmasters.

In Mythic+, I typically purify at around 70-100%. We only have one healer in 5mans, so we can't afford to let stagger run that high.

By the end of a dungeon (or after Corstilax in Arcway), I usually manage to build up ~1:30 of ISB. I then just spam Purify and laugh at damage.
    Last edited by Felixphaeton; 2017-01-21 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felixphaeton View Post
    Depends on the content, incoming tank damage, incoming raid damage, current health, and amount of ISB you manage to stack.

In Nighthold this week, I frequently let my stagger float at around 80-100, waiting til 120+ to purify. Of course, I do have the legendary ring, so this is less dangerous to me than most other Brewmasters.

In Mythic+, I typically purify at around 70-100%. We only have one healer in 5mans, so we can't afford to let stagger run that high.

By the end of a dungeon (or after Corstilax in Arcway), I usually manage to build up ~1:30 of stagger. I then just spam Purify and laugh at damage.
    What? Do you mean 1:30 of ISB I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Densalo View Post
    What? Do you mean 1:30 of ISB I assume?
    Woops. Yea, I mean ISB.

This is part of the beauty of BrM, and sets them apart from the 1 dimensional active mitigation of other tanks. On top of ISB/purify we also have healing orbs(and elixirs), and it's the full package decision making that can make BrM so fun.

I make a decision for ISB/PB based on the ability to get external heals, either right then, or knowing external heals will stop coming shortly. Take for example Odyn, where you can't die in phase 1 unless healers are asleep. There is no real need for many PB's. Every so often you'll get a couple dodges in a row, or you can use an orb or elixir to keep your HP in a comfortable spot. Let the healers waste a little more mana on you and build up your ISB. Phase 2 sees a lot more movement, and healers are distracted often. This is the time to use PB a lot more heavily. Phase 3 is covered with bloodlust, and your brew generation is high enough to cover ISB+PB(s) for each spear.

The thinking for M+ is identical, but the application is different. Rather than possible long phases you now have individual pulls to make these judgments about. But the nice thing is the healer can drink between every pull, if needed. So on light to medium pulls just build up ISB, and only PB if group damage is high, or when your damage is particularly nasty. On top of that quickly moving from pull to pull is very important, as any time spent idle is letting excess ISB bleed away.

Thanks for the replies. Very good information.

In regard of ISB upkeep - I use BoC since beginnig of my leveling to get used to it. I find having multiple options very satisfying. With Lightbrew I sometimes get as high as 40sec uptime, but I guess more advanced way is to use BoB instead Lightbrew and pop multiple charges in the beginnig of the fight. This is how you stack long upkeep?

Purifying I need to learn by just playing and observing how the healers keep up.

Lightbrew is easier to learn, BoB is numerically superior. Yes dump 4 charges right away to get the CD on it and brews rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by niedawow View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Very good information.

In regard of ISB upkeep - I use BoC since beginnig of my leveling to get used to it. I find having multiple options very satisfying. With Lightbrew I sometimes get as high as 40sec uptime, but I guess more advanced way is to use BoB instead Lightbrew and pop multiple charges in the beginnig of the fight. This is how you stack long upkeep?

Purifying I need to learn by just playing and observing how the healers keep up.
    BoB leads to much higher brew generation since BoB is a brew and it's CD gets reduced with Tiger palm and keg smash. With the 4 set from the nighthold your brew generation will be insane with 2 seconds of reduction every tiger palm and 3 seconds if face palm procs

I have a pretty simple rule for myself. In an endless fight I can drink a brew every N seconds without a break.
    (In my case N = 8 seconds with my haste and black ox brew. I have a castsequence macro for my whole rotation and just spaming it is perfect for me)

So on bosses that dont have dmg spikes I drink a cleansing brew every N seconds. Tichondrius is one of those bosses because there is always something to tank.

On bosses where I swap with the other tank and only tank half the time I use cleansing brew every N / 2 seconds.

In m+ content I drink every N / (3/4) = 6 seconds because I tank 75% of the time

I have a macro that starts/resets a stopwatch after every brew so I can see when to use the next.
    something like this
    cleansing
    sw reset
    sw start

ironskin is the other way around
    iron
    sw set to 8
    sw countdown
    because I want to know how long the buff of ironskin lasts. I know there are better ways to track 8 seconds in wow (addons etc) but i like the sw

On bosses with spikes I try to stay at 1 brew charge, close to 2. I use cleansing brew to stay low. On spikes I use Iron skin and cleansing short after. In case I get to much damage I press my black ox macro what looks like this:
    ironskin
    cleans
    cleans
    cleans
    black ox brew
    So a charge is never wasted when pressing black ox

I use firebreath chest and boots.
    Last edited by Inukashi; 2017-01-23 at 07:22 AM.

Deleted
    I've a question atm i have 915 boots and ring, and 940 trinket.
    Atm i'm running boots + ring formythic +.
    But from next week on i'll start NH as brm.
    My trinkets are xavius(870) and eye(865).
    Whats best to run with?
    Thans for the help Guy's.
    Last edited by mmoc8679f05ffb; 2017-01-23 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    On bosses with spikes I try to stay at 1 brew charge, close to 2. I use cleansing brew to stay low. On spikes I use Iron skin and cleansing short after. In case I get to much damage I press my black ox macro what looks like this:
    ironskin
    cleans
    cleans
    cleans
    black ox brew
    So a charge is never wasted when pressing black ox
    That's an interesting macro. Mind sharing ? Because I'm pretty sure I've had a lot of charges wasted because I wasn't sure if I still had brews left.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    That's an interesting macro. Mind sharing ? Because I'm pretty sure I've had a lot of charges wasted because I wasn't sure if I still had brews left.
    Sure, here is the original:
    #show Schwarzochsengebräu
    /wirken Eisenhautgebräu
    /wirken Reinigendes Gebräu
    /wirken Reinigendes Gebräu
    /wirken Schwarzochsengebräu

I translated it here, but not sure if it is working:
    #show Black Ox Brew
    /use Ironskin Brew
    /use Purifying Brew
    /use Purifying Brew
    /use Black Ox Brew

mb you have to fix the spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    By the end of a dungeon (or after Corstilax in Arcway), I usually manage to build up ~1:30 of ISB. I then just spam Purify and laugh at damage.
    Do you have relics into the ISB duration extending trait? Don't think I ever managed to reach 1 min of ISB.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Do you have relics into the ISB duration extending trait? Don't think I ever managed to reach 1 min of ISB.
    Nope. I have 20% haste and make sure I BoS as many KS as possible. BoB is kept on cooldown, even if it means popping it between pulls. Purify only when I need.

Incidentally, this is really useful for raid bosses like High Botanist Telarn. The damage is really low for the first 50%, so I spend the first half of the fight building as much ISB as possible so that I have a good buffer at the end to purify spam. I'm a hog a tad more mana in the easy part of the fight, but turn into an unkillable rock later on.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=119582

My first purify was at 2:15.
    Last edited by Felixphaeton; 2017-01-24 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I have 20% haste and make sure I BoS as many KS as possible. BoB is kept on cooldown, even if it means popping it between pulls. Purify only when I need.

Incidentally, this is really useful for raid bosses such as High Botanist Telarn. The damage is really low for the first 50%, so I spend the first half of the fight building as much ISB as possible so that I have a good buffer at the end to purify spam.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=119582

My first purify was at 2:15.
    Good to know, thanks.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    On Corstillax trash/during boss you get a lot of haste so you can just spam brews to stack the duration.

But having minute+ duration is quite common in any dungeon. You just need to have high uptime attacking stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    For everything else, there's Brewmastercard