Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Hillary adopted numerous parts of his platform.

- - - Updated - - -

The silent "a large chunk of not quite a plurality" maybe.
    This wasn't a good turnout election for either side. I know plenty of people who just couldn't pull the lever for Trump. I was almost one of them. The left had an opportunity to give the Obama administration a third term, and an overwhelming majority of voters outside of the left coast, said "nope".
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    And voter apathy is caused by having two of the worst choices in history for president. The system doesn't represent the voters, so people don't want to vote. And that in itself, makes the system worse. It's kind of a Catch 22 thing. One thing makes the other worse and vice versa.

I'm not sure what could break the circle. Perhaps if people were to be more engaged in the system. If people championed the change and the things they want.
    it all starts on the ground/local level. the majority of voters do not vote except in the national elections. the politicians who are in those national elections start at the basic, local level. you cant demand a system represent you if you dont participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. Hillary had nearly 66,000,000 voters, just shy of Obama's second term, and Trump had almost 63,000,000, which is the most any Republican candidate has ever had. This is roughly the same turnout as 2008, which dwarfed all previous years, and more than 2012. I think any way you slice it, there was good turnout this time around. Furthermore, while it's really stupid to try to cut California off as though it somehow doesn't count, even without it, Hillary would have only lost the popular by about a million votes, which is a pretty close race.
    The "left coast" comment is meant to refer to Washington, Oregon, California. Not scientific, but it seems to fit for everyday political discussions. 2008 was McCain, who wasn't a fan favorite either. Romney in 2012? Conservatives in this country have not had a good reason to turn out for decades. Well before my study of politics for sure.
    Last edited by ControlWarrior; 2017-01-23 at 04:11 PM.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

Honest to god truth it was the Obama vs Clinton deal all over again. Clinton is good at the start of a campaign but often flat lines. She is also TERRIBLE with a lead. Like a basketball team that gets up by ten and just hopes to play solid defense and just pass the ball around until the shot clock goes off to waste time when it isn't even half time yet. It is also pretty clear her own party knew that because they stacked the deck for her to win. Trump shot himself so many times in the foot at the start of the whole race. How did Clinton response? Tell you the truth she took like a month off in the summer and fucking disappeared. Then she did pretty good after the debates and how did she respond? She fucking disappeared again. She got caught with her pants down on emails and what does she do? Dodges the question and disappears. That was her whole plan. Just a hope that Trump would talk himself into a loss while she I guess just did whatever she did when she disappears. Or thought that SNL skits were going to win over the American public to vote for her. Because she certainly didn't do anything to try to win. No, she merely played not to lose and it lead to a crushing defeat.

Case in point you shouldn't rig the DNC for someone that you are not convince can just win it themselves. You don't put conspiracies like that into emails either. I mean I know just from working a 9 to 5 if I want to fuck someone over in the office I don't email it out. I get my ass up and talk to the guys I am in deep with. It is call NO FUCKING PAPER TRAIL. How people involved in politics and government haven't put this together just is beyond me. Like it is gross incompetence and worth enough of a reason to lose next to all the other stuff. I mean that is just plan stupid. I still just kind of laugh every time I think of these people running one of the biggest government on Earth being so oblivious to such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Trump's Victory is due to a slew of things. However, the point about voter apathy should be recognized. These are two of the most polarized and hated candidates of all time. There were legitimate fears going against both of them. I've heard many of reasons people wouldn't vote for Trump or wouldn't vote for Hillary.
    Not voting is legit, it means you don't care and you have better things to do.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    But again, that's how most everyday people are. They aren't protesting in the streets everyday, but if you ask them their opinion, they will be more than happy to tell it to you. Pollsters and pundits really did a hack job of reporting this election. They put too much faith in their external poling data, and didn't do enough one on one interviews.
    Yea no they really wont be more than happy to tell you without the condition of anonimity or privacy. Well at least trump came along and nornalized theit bullshit.

As for pollsters and pundits they did not do a hack job or reporting. All the polling agencies gave trump a chance of winning. Nate silver i think had him at like 30%. Unlikel events are not impossible ones. Sometimes unlikely shit happens. Welcome to stats. This particular trope is fucking obnoxious. Its plays into the fantasy that trump was some anti establishment underdog here to buck the system.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2017-01-23 at 05:56 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

My assessment is that, while there was several variables that contributed to it, the biggest ones can be summed to:
    - The rather shitty "two-party system" that it's going on there;
    - Hillary Clinton is not that beloved by the public;
    - The Media trying to bash Trump and making him seem smaller than he actually was (huehue hands), thus making some of the ones that would actually going to vote for her, miss out because of how landslide'y it would be regardless.

I don't think Trump would be elected if it was against any other capable politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Yea no they really wont be more than happy to tell you without the condition of anonimity or privacy. Well at least trump came along and nornalized theit bullshit.

As for pollsters and pundits they did not do a hack job or reporting. All the polling agencies gave trump a chance of winning. Nate silver i think had him at like 30%. Unlikel events are not impossible ones. Sometimes unlikely shit happens. Welcome to stats. This particular trope is fucking obnoxious. Its plays into the fantasy that trump was some anti establishment underdog here to buck the system.
    Of course some polls gave him a chance to win early on, but that lessened considerably the closer we got to the election. I'm not sure if there were under sampling or over sampling errors, or if some just ignored trends in their data. But most national polls had Clinton winning outside or slightly within the margin of error. A political science statistics class would help alleviate your confusion. But, what do I know

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    Of course some polls gave him a chance to win early on, but that lessened considerably the closer we got to the election. I'm not sure if they were under sampling or over sampling errors, or if some just ignored trends in their data. But most national polls had Clinton winning outside or avfxhty within the margin of error. A political science statistics class would help alleviate your confusion. But, what do I know
    Nothing apparently. Yes the polls had clinton FAVORED to win by a wide margin. But favored to win is not the same as guaranteed to win. Even if the poll had trump at 1% it did not mean trump would never win, just that it was extremley unlikely. Well unlikely is not impossible. Welcome to stats. Can we cut the bushit about how the polling got it all wrong.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...tion-forecast/

Nate silver gave Trump an almost 30% chance to win. Unlikely shit happens.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2017-01-23 at 06:13 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Nothing apparently. Yes the polls had clinton FAVORED to win by a wide margin. But favored to win is not the same as guaranteed to win. Even if the poll had trump at 1% it did not mean trump would never win, just that it was extremley unlikely. Well unlikely is not impossible. Welcome to stats. Can we cut the bushit about how the polling got it all wrong.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...tion-forecast/

Nate silver gave Trump an almost 30% chance to win. Unlikely shit happens.
    When those women started accusing the Donald of sexual assault? I thought it was over for him and that a lot of people especially women wouldn't vote for him. Apparently I was wrong.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does Trump lie so, so much? I don't understand it. He even lied about the fucking weather at his inauguration. Why does a person feel the need to lie about the tiniest things?

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Why does Trump lie so, so much? I don't understand it. He even lied about the fucking weather at his inauguration. Why does a person feel the need to lie about the tiniest things?
    I think he's just trying to put a positive spin on things. I don't really know why he does some of the stuff he does, they say pick your battles carefully, he seems to pick the most unnecessary battles over the most trivial stuff. The news media is eating it up though, maybe that's his plan.

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think he's just trying to put a positive spin on things. I don't really know why he does some of the stuff he does, they say pick your battles carefully, he seems to pick the most unnecessary battles over the most trivial stuff. The news media is eating it up though, maybe that's his plan.
    He is trolling the media hard. Say stupid outlandish shit to get the media burning its wheels on crap stories. "Look at how I play the media"

Trump is not some epic level con-man, he's just the one the TV networks love because he equals good ratings for the reality TV generation that enjoys all kinds of no talent hucksters like the Kardashians, Kanye, etc.

I don't watch trash television. I have spent my entire life looking right through media created jackasses like Trump. He may be president, but I suspect my life will move along exactly as if he didn't exist. I wouldn't step aside if I saw him coming down the street, nor would I shake his hand. Then, I would not have shaken Clinton's nor Obama's hands either.

Honestly, if you still think the U.S. is a democracy, or that anything but legerdemain backs the U.S. dollar, then that's just sad. If you voted either for or against Trump for any reason you already drink the kool-aid and probably haven't a clue. Money doesn't exists in any meaningful sense any longer. It's a long running Ponzi scheme if there ever was one. Such a lot of smoke and mirrors, and you all fall for it every day.

Probably the only thing that's actually important is the just over the horizon advent of AI. Potentially, that might shake up a lot of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Trump is not some epic level con-man, he's just the one the TV networks love because he equals good ratings for the reality TV generation that enjoys all kinds of no talent hucksters like the Kardashians, Kanye, etc.

I don't watch trash television. I have spent my entire life looking right through media created jackasses like Trump. He may be president, but I suspect my life will move along exactly as if he didn't exist. I wouldn't step aside if I saw him coming down the street, nor would I shake his hand. Then, I would not have shaken Clinton's nor Obama's hands either.

Honestly, if you still think the U.S. is a democracy, or that anything but legerdemain backs the U.S. dollar, then that's just sad. If you voted either for or against Trump for any reason you already drink the kool-aid and probably haven't a clue. Money doesn't exists in any meaningful sense any longer. It's a long running Ponzi scheme if there ever was one. Such a lot of smoke and mirrors, and you all fall for it every day.

Probably the only thing that's actually important is the just over the horizon advent of AI. Potentially, that might shake up a lot of things.
    How high were you when you posted this?
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.