Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    The fact that Disc is less than 10% behind the other healers while bringing a stable 200K+ dps means they're just fine.
    As others have pointed out, disc plays differently from all the other healers; Disc sucks absolute balls at constant, consistent raid damage, so any healer that does well against that sort of fight (such as a resto druid) is going to have far superior output. This doesn't mean Disc is bad; Disc is the most potent healer of all, being able to on-demand cooldown the raid multiple times throughout a fight, as long as (s)he gets ~10 seconds to prepare, and their output far surpasses that of a tranq/tide when they go all out.

Such potency comes with drawbacks though, so in short:

Disc -

Strengths:
    -Able to burst multiple times outside of heavy cooldowns (not reliant on tranq/HTT to combat high raid dmg).
    -Has the most potent healing output of all classes in a short duration timespan.
    -Brings DPS while doing optimal healing (any other healer who does DPS, does so at the sacrifice of healing output).

Weakness:
    Small group content (5-10 man, Lights wrath scales with number of atonements, so does damage output, and in a small raid you're more likely to be able to use semi-potent stuff like Wild Growth+artifact weapon to heal up the raid rather than a full on raid CD).
    Bad sustained healing (keeping up a lot of atonements takes a TON of mana).
    Smaller group content is actually ideal for disc. If 10 mans existed, disc would be one of the best healers. You would actually be contributing a ton of sustained hps, and your mana would be in line with other healers.

Bad sustained healing is correct for 20 mans, because it's more ideal hps wise to cast inside large atonement windows.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    That's not true anymore. Disc DPS has risen much less than Tank DPS over the course of the expansion so far. Here's where we sit right now at 75th percentile for Heroic NH -

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...gregate=amount

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...gregate=amount
    Yea disc dps is going down relative, but it's still very relevant in prog.
    Last edited by Supliftz; 2017-01-24 at 03:36 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    15 kills, 6 wipes, 21 pulls for 51 innervates. He got a little over 2 per encounter.
    That being said, DPS isn't at all reliant on innervate - in fact you'd be doing more damage without innervates, as you'd spend less time layering atonement and more doing your conserve-DPS instead (but obviously, HPS will suffer).

Also if you don't have 2 boomkins in a 30 man that's sort of sad considering how strong they are :s.
    Each Innervate is, what, 4-5 Radiance casts? If we include the fact that it's available every 3 minutes, it's superior to a good regen trinket. So not only you get to do your burst healing more often, you can use a throughput trinket instead. Your dps also goes up, since you don't need to hold back so much in preparation for Radiance spam.

Sure, every meter topping healer uses Innervate, but only Disc can burn through all that mana so effectively. It's a balancing mess they aren't even trying to solve. Nerfing bonus haste hardly mattered, since it doesn't even touch the "problem" of having additional mana bar tied to a specific dps class.

I main Holy and only use Disc from time to time, but healing without Innervate tends to be so much more annoying than playing any other healer. The burst is unmatched, but that mana bar is just far too short. It needs S2M style rework - raise the floor, lower the ceiling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    holy is honestly awesome, I am probably not using the best talents, they are all quite fun to use and certain talents are better for raiding and some are better for 5 mans. I am very used to firing off circle of healing on cooldown, its become a reflex for me so not having circle of healing is almost not an option for me, the cooldown you get on the same line apotheosis or something like that is very powerful but again, i used it a few times but still prefer the instant cast aoe heal from coh.

I think i play holy pretty well, so long as your using your holy words, use the light of t'urre ability on the tank when they spike, keep prayer of mending on cooldown, that is basically all there is to it, i personally use the talent that basically duplicates 40% of your flash heals on the previous target, also surge of light. remember to try to keep chastise on cooldown aswell because it can procc your little naruu pet and when that thing is out, oh boy the heals.

This is the build i use most of the time, when i was a bit under geared, taking light of the naruu is much better for 5 mans, having those extra 2 seconds on your holy word cooldown reduction is very very noticeable and will probably be the difference between a wipe and having serenity come off cooldown faster. all in all holy is not disappointing and can also do some seriously high burst healing, how much healing you do overall will probably be tied to how often your little pet thing procs, that pet doesn't quite double your healing but it can heal for a hell of a lot.
    Bit off-topic, but you should really consider piety and benediction rather than SoL and circle for M+. Circle is just a shorter range, more expensive PoH that is instant, but doesn't reduce Sanc cooldown. Since the PoH buff last patch, it's better than using circle in pretty much any circumstance. With piety you can throw Sanc much more often anyway reducing the need for circle, and the benediction renews help to stabilise group heal when things get intense.

i tend to use CoH in tandem with sanctify, i raid with a druid and a holy pala so I tend to be on spot healing duty mostly flashing the ppl who go low and using the 2 instant cast aoe heals to prop up those who aren't getting druid heals. I think i will give benediction and piety a try this week and see if they make much of a difference i guess you go with what your used to most of the time.

my raid team and mythic groups tend to be melee heavy so i find the combination of coh then sanctify or the other way around works well to bring everyone up. i mean you can go coh>sanc>poh then spot again with FH with mending in there aswell thats quite a good burst of healing in a reasonably short amount of time ofc the naruu pet also does a little aoe heal when you coh aswell. sanc and coh together are almost like a group wide serenity just spread over 2 gcd's.

i guess it just depends on the fight, ofc it is possible to improve your aoe healing in various ways, i mean just taking halo instead of divinity gives you a nice raid topper every 40 seconds but then you don't get divinity that stacks with blessing of t'uure having that extra 15% healing is a nicely sized modifier occasionally you'll have 35% healing then if your healing the tank who has your light of turre your looking at 60% increased healing on the tank for a spell or two.

i haven't really been back that long so i'm still getting a feel for what works best, right now i seem to be consistently 7% or so below our resto druid and maybe on par with the holy pala in terms of healing gathered over a whole night. me and the pala are usually about the same sometimes he beats me by 1% sometimes ill beat him by the same. its usually those perfectly timed hymns that puts me over the pala on any given boss. the range isn't so bad on coh at least in nighthold most of the fights ppl are grouped up i don't see me wasting many coh casts either most ppl are in melee anyway or the designated groups aren't more than 30yrds away from each other. the only other reason i think i like coh is that its a pretty good trinket proccing spell, if you have trinkets that proc off any heal then coh is a good spell for forcing procs, if your trinket can proc, coh will most likely proc it. same with surge its a good spell for procing that too.

i like surge it can be inconsistent but then the stars align and you get surge after surge after surge that is very nice when that happens.

I can definately see the benefit of going the PoM route for me it would free up a keybind at least and if i were to get the healing legendary trinket i would probably throw that into my coh bind and fire it off with PoM or hymn. right now i've only got prydaz and muze's which i don't find to be terrible legendaries although i would like to ditch the bracers for pretty much any other one. i don't terribly mind the bracers they are kinda situational but because i do have surge of light, the smite haste is actually useful, there are always opportunities to throw out a quick cheeky smite and shave some seconds off your next chastise for a chance at the pet proc.

i'm guessing light of the naruu works well with piety aswell then, if we're not having mana problems maybe ill drop hope for naruu, i could see being able to fire of sanctify more often could be a very powerful utility to have, i tend to not need to use it that much i mean it takes a while to come off cooldown with the build i use unless i force it with poh spam. again ill just have to give the talents a try and see how they stack up in a raid setting.

I guess the bit i don't like is when pom bounces to ppl who aren't taking damage then it feels kinda wasted.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-01-25 at 01:41 AM.

Deleted
    Disc obviously needs changes...

Only the Penitent and Clarity of Will should apply atonement.

PW Solace should give a little more mana and Schism should cost less.

Power Infusion %mana redution should be higher, 25 or 30%.

Divine Star should be more effective in a raid setting.

Shadow Covenant should be reworked/scrapped.

Then we can see what happens and later talk about disc place.

Quote Originally Posted by yanot View Post
    Disc obviously needs changes...

Only the Penitent and Clarity of Will should apply atonement.
    ...Almost got me, troll.

ok so i gave piety and benediction a go and to be fair it increased my healing by quite a lot, sure i still miss surge and coh but all in all, the fights with consistent ticking raid wide damage are great for the pom spec.

i think i have been converted, yesterday i pugged heroic tov, helya was much easier with multiple poms bouncing around and i also managed to pug nyth and ursoc mythic, pom didn't really shine on ursoc but being able to cast sanc more often is very nice.

we don't have much mana problems and i got phyrix as my 3rd legendary this week so i dropped hope for guardian angel ill give it a try tonight and see if using GS as a healing modifier on spike damage helps, i like the utility that ring gives to GS, its usually a 1 time per fight thing but with the talent and the legendary, you can use it maybe 3-4 times per fight assuming it doesn't get consumed and the cooldown gets reset to 90sec. I've always been terrible at timing GS but now i think ill just fire it off at the first person to spike below 10% if my serenity is on cd.

I can see the legs being really powerful with the pom spec so ill have to pray to rngesus for those.

the en mythic pug i joined went on to wipe a few times on the dragons i noticed at my peak i was matching the druids with about 350k - 400k hps.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-01-29 at 10:58 AM.

In my opinion Disc is really not in a bad spot currently.
    BUT there are some quality of life issues that should be fixed.

The first one would be the insane inflexibility with applying atonement.
    Currently the second you hit 5 active atonements you have no way to apply another one.
    Thanks to the stacking mana cost mechanic Plea is basically as mana efficient as Shadow Mend and Power Word: Radiance.
    That makes it insanely frustrating to play Discipline, since sometimes those atonement targets simply get "sniped".

The second one is needless complexity.
    Discipline priests somehow always end up with overly complex mechanics that need setting up to work their full extend.
    There two examples that really emphasize the problem: Power Word: Barrier and Light's Wrath.
    Power Word: Barrier is currently the smallest "healing" spell there is, with it's radius of 7 yards.
    Every other support spell implemented in the game has at least a 10 yard radius.
    That makes it almost impossible to really use Barrier in most cases,
    since most guilds don't have the discipline/movement to really stand in one spot for the barrier.
    Currently more or less all fights punish players for clumping up.
    So everyone standing in the same spot is not a natural occurrence.
    Most of the time you don't even hit all melees with the barrier since bosses are so big.

Same with Light's Wrath. The spell is really great... in theory.
    But the amount of work needed to really utilize the spell to it's full power is insane.

Let's do the math for a best case scenario:
    Atonement is 15 seconds. Most discipline priests have ~20% haste. Atonement heals for 55 (30-40% mastery)
    So Light's Wrath has a cast time of 2.0 seconds and Power Word: Radiance has a cast time of 2 seconds.
    The travel time of Light's Wrath is ~2 seconds. I.e. you have a window of ~ 10 seconds to apply atonement and then cast Light's Wrath.
    10 seconds of Power Word: Radiance apply exactly 15 atonements (and only 5 of them you have direct control over placement).
    That means Light's Wrath get's a damage bonus of 150%.
    700 %SP * 2.5 for damage i.e. ~ 1750% spellpower per cast. Most priest should have around 40k spellpower.

That means Light's Wrath deals ~700 000 damage per cast. 700 000 damage with 15 atonements equals ~ 5 775 000 healing.
    So you have to setup the spell for 15 seconds and get 700 000 damage and 5 775 000 healing out of it on a 90 sec cooldown.

Now let's compare it to Monk's Revival: 180 seconds cooldown, instant, 720% spellpower, 20 people healed and dispelled.
    720% * 40 000 * 20 = 5 760 000 healing.

So if we compare the spells we get:
    Instant vs 2 sec cast time + 10 sec setup time + 2 sec travel time
    3 min cd vs 1.5 min cd
    raid dispelled vs 700k damage

Make your own decision. I really want to like the spell. But it's slow, random and hard to use and the reward you get is decent at best.
    Which pretty much sums up the current state of Discipline Priests.
    Last edited by Geschan; 2017-01-29 at 10:31 AM.

Barrier is very similar conceptually to spells or items like the Perfectly Preserved Cake - they require effort and skill from the other raid members to be effective. I really like this design, but it does make these things reliant on factors outside the healer's control.

I agree about Light's Wrath, and you didn't even mention RNG factors that can cause you to move during the setup for a Light's Wrath, such as getting the Orb of Destruction during the Krosus encounter. It's not a great feeling to have to decide between a Light's Wrath with 10 players atoned and waiting for the next slam to use it.

Since alpha I've pointed out the tremendous complexity of the spec relative to other specs, but the upside of this complexity and difficulty is that Disc priests have the highest total output (HPS+DPS) of any healer, by far. Currently 50th percentile Nighthold HPS+DPS:

Mythic:

Disc Priests: 708202
    Resto Druids: 611544.4
    Holy Paladins: 609549.9
    Holy Priests: 584630.3
    Resto Shamans: 503630.2
    Mistweaver Monks: 493177

Heroic:

DPr: 456026.8
    Pal: 401883.3
    Mon: 398147.9
    HPr: 381666
    Dru: 379066.2
    Sham: 366880.8

Normal:

DPr: 347246
    Mon: 293590.6
    Pal: 285675.6
    HPr: 272757.2
    Dru: 272422.4
    Sham: 264820.5

When the output of these specs are added up and divided by 3 to determine their "overall" current HPS+DPS:

#1: Discipline Priests: 503824.9
    #2: Holy Paladins: 432369.6
    #3: Restoration Druids: 421011
    #4: Holy Priests: 413017.8
    #5: Mistweaver Monks: 394971.8
    #6: Restoration Shamans: 378443.8

That's the reward of playing a spec that has such a high difficulty - a 15.3% higher HPS+DPS output than the next highest spec.

That's the reward of playing a spec that has such a high difficulty - a 15.3% higher HPS+DPS output than the next highest spec.

No I dont think that a point of damage is equal to a point of healing. There are always many more DPS than healers, and Disc DPS is just irrelevant. I tried so hard to maximise my Disc damage all the way through EMN and after all those raid nights and all those hours spent not a single person ever noticed. I got quite a few comments about needing to heal more, and that Disc is not even a real healer.

Disc is just a fundamentally trash spec, it is the Survival Hunter of healers. The Lights Wrath mechanic is pure shit and that is the centrepiece of Disc gameplay. Needing Innervates, mana trinkets, Blessing of Wisdom, perfect timing and excessive heals-team coordination all just to achieve the same HPS as other classes is ridiculous.

Ridiculous and a waste of time. You all know you would mock and pity any Survival hunters that still havent changed spec, well take a look in the mirror, face facts and spec into Holy.

Exept that survival hunters are trash regarding the.... survivability. Discipline priests, on the other hand, are competitive with others healers (far more than sv hunters if you put that in %), and you get to do the extra damage that can change a progress.
    And above that, it's the only spec that can save your whole raid ass. Rdrood's tranquility is pure trash compared to what you can do. (since it's often what people think is the strongest healing CD atm, wich is PW: Barrier anyway)

"Yeah, but when I look at logs, discipline are so low compared to other healers"
    Yup, that's because logs contains some (lot of?) really bad raid compositions for the spec : if it's normal or easy heroic content, or if you have too many healers, disc won't do shit, is shitty to play, and will definitly pull down overall logs.
    + You need to know well each fight, wich very few people do at the beggining of any new content.

Not understanding a spec doesn't make it trash, unlike DPS specs that are low on single, multi targets and with bad mobility (heya SV hunters)

Quote Originally Posted by longxia View Post
    No I dont think that a point of damage is equal to a point of healing. There are always many more DPS than healers, and Disc DPS is just irrelevant. I tried so hard to maximise my Disc damage all the way through EMN and after all those raid nights and all those hours spent not a single person ever noticed. I got quite a few comments about needing to heal more, and that Disc is not even a real healer.
    I have no idea how to compare the precise value of DPS against HPS - it's too complex a consideration. Saying HPS and DPS are the same value is just a guess, an estimate.

Disc DPS isn't irrelevant though. The only downside of Disc DPS relative to the DPS of a DPS spec is that usually the DPS player can be expected to be better at target switching to take down priority adds than a Disc, who has a lot to do and often just stays on the boss no matter what. Other than that, DPS done by *any* spec, including tanks, is equal to any other.

Yep, even in a game where people often congratulate themselves on how amazing they are it takes a rare raid leader to appreciate the DPS that a Disc does. But that doesn't mean the DPS is irrelevant, just underappreciated.

Disc is just a fundamentally trash spec, it is the Survival Hunter of healers. The Lights Wrath mechanic is pure shit and that is the centrepiece of Disc gameplay. Needing Innervates, mana trinkets, Blessing of Wisdom, perfect timing and excessive heals-team coordination all just to achieve the same HPS as other classes is ridiculous.

Ridiculous and a waste of time. You all know you would mock and pity any Survival hunters that still havent changed spec, well take a look in the mirror, face facts and spec into Holy.
    It's an amazingly micro-managey spec. It's fair to call that ridiculous, but by that standard Starcraft 2 is insanely ridiculous. Some people enjoy Starcraft 2, but it's not for everyone.

Needing Innervates, mana trinkets, Blessing of Wisdom, perfect timing and excessive heals-team coordination all just to achieve the same HPS as other classes is ridiculous.
    I agree with this sentiment. There are a couple of people here on these forums who always have a an argument ready, for any kind of criticism of the spec. The funniest one I read, and the one that sums up that group of people perfectly is 'Have you talked to other healers, to let you heal that particular phase, to not snipe your healing, because you do it more efficiently'? I found that hilarious. So no other spec really has to careful about any other spec and it will do just fine. But with Disc in order to be competitive, it's no longer needed to only eat up innervates and BoWs. Now, the entire team should consider your 'superior' healing. And, of course, the most famous one, Disc DPS matters.

One would think that by that logic, some of the progression guilds would definitely take a disc priest with them. There are A LOT of dps checks in NH, and Disc 'competitive healing' + mad deepz should've definitely granted the spec a core spot in the team.

The number of discs plummeted into oblivion, and HPS wise, we are behind. Inbe4 'Yea, but most Disc sucks'. Sorry for the tiny rant, but the narrative that's been built around the spec by few 'expert' posters here is driving me crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phyx View Post
    I agree with this sentiment. There are a couple of people here on these forums who always have a an argument ready, for any kind of criticism of the spec. The funniest one I read, and the one that sums up that group of people perfectly is 'Have you talked to other healers, to let you heal that particular phase, to not snipe your healing, because you do it more efficiently'? I found that hilarious. So no other spec really has to careful about any other spec and it will do just fine. But with Disc in order to be competitive, it's no longer needed to only eat up innervates and BoWs. Now, the entire team should consider your 'superior' healing. And, of course, the most famous one, Disc DPS matters.
    So you're telling me your healing team doesn't set up a cd rotation for mechanics? You do guys just yolo your tranq/htt? I don't see how disc -only- has this problem when raiding guilds regularly set up rotations to maximize their raid cds. You know easy it is for a disc priest to set up cds? You just say well in advance "hey i'm going to use cds here". It's that easy LOL.

I also find it a big meme that posters like you try to suggest that disc requires innervates/wisdoms to stay competitive compared to other healers. I challenge you to find me a top end resto druid log without innervates/wisdoms. We live in a world where both ret paladins and boomkins are stacked, so multiple innervates effects all logs, not just disc priest. So of course you need innervates/wisdoms to stay competitive with logs that also have innervates/wisdom

I don't really have to say anything to respond to "Disc DPS LUL". If you want to believe disc dps is irrelevant, you also should believe that gems/enchants are irrelevant.

I feel the dps isn't so bad but converted into healing its probably better overall, for 5 mans its more noticeable, disc is about utility i think not hps or dps, it definitely would shine on certain fights, doesn't always come down to how much you heal or dps its how easy the spec makes the encounter, holy is pretty good for any encounter disc is great for some not great for others. I think fights with multiple adds are probably good for disc so you can make use of SwP's hot effect like scorpyron for example i could see it being perfect for that fight at least if you have more melee than ranged definitely.

the curator is another one, thats a fight that begs to be played as disc because you can melt the shit out of him during evocate. certain fights it can perform really well but fights with sustained raid wide damage its never going to outperform holy or a resto druid, perhaps it'll scale with gear, if you don't have innervates on demand or you only have 1, then your going to help your raid more as holy most likely, again it really depends who the other 1/2/3 healers are and how many ppl can stack for your barrier, melee heavy = barrier awesome.

for cooldowns it comes down to barrier vs divine hymn and pain suppression vs guardian spirit, holy has the 'better life saving' cds but there is still a lot of utility in the disc cds.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-01-30 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supliftz View Post
    So you're telling me your healing team doesn't set up a cd rotation for mechanics? You do guys just yolo your tranq/htt? I don't see how disc -only- has this problem when raiding guilds regularly set up rotations to maximize their raid cds. You know easy it is for a disc priest to set up cds? You just say well in advance "hey i'm going to use cds here". It's that easy LOL.

I also find it a big meme that posters like you try to suggest that disc requires innervates/wisdoms to stay competitive compared to other healers. I challenge you to find me a top end resto druid log without innervates/wisdoms. We live in a world where both ret paladins and boomkins are stacked, so multiple innervates effects all logs, not just disc priest. So of course you need innervates/wisdoms to stay competitive with logs that also have innervates/wisdom

I don't really have to say anything to respond to "Disc DPS LUL". If you want to believe disc dps is irrelevant, you also should believe that gems/enchants are irrelevant.
    I was not talking about raid cd phases. That particular comment was about a specific boss (I don't remember, it also might have been disc discord). I'm sure you can find it, but most of you agreed. It was kinda funny given how no one ever really cared about the 'efficiency of a class' (outside of raid cds) until Disc strolled along.

Indeed, lots of innervates, but Disc is by far the most mana starved class. The difference is that all of those classes can pump out numbers without requiring innervates. Disc needs innervates only to barely break in the middle of the pack.

If Disc dps so important a) why did disc number go to hell? And b) why don't RLs really care about that all that much? Why isn't the combination of best burst healing in the game +invaluable dps for progreww recognized among top guilds?

All of the evidence points to that disc is in a really weird place at the moment. Declining numbers, lower average hps and dps that no one really carew about. Sups, you do wonders with the spec, but you are not representative of the whole spec. Average Disc player is much worse (skill/average hps), and it shows.
    Last edited by phyx; 2017-01-30 at 08:07 AM.

Deleted
    Sups, you're my disc hero, and what you're saying might be correct in higher settings, but in medium guilds (like mine), things are far less organized that this. Fights are not balanced around having a disc with "unlimited" cds, so most of the time big raidwide hits don't happen so often that the other healers run out of their cds, and if they have them, they will use them, nobody just sits on their hands to give disc priests room to shine, especially since often us being targeted by random shit that requires us to move wrecks our setting up/burst too. We've been doing hc NH, and I can't count the number of times I setup 15 atonements, raid dmg hits and dmg is topped before I get to cast LW, so I simply have to cancel the cast, if I manage to do it, or watch it drown in overhealing. You could say that disc is not meant to shine in hc environment, but we are being judged initially in this environment. You could also say that disc is not meant to be played outside super organized setups that know its strengths, I don't have any argument against this.

As for the dps part, we had some close kills occasionally, which made me think my dps mattered. Nobody ever noticed it, and our dps seems scaling a lot slower than dps/tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphiramoon View Post
    ..... nobody just sits on their hands to give disc priests room to shine, especially since often us being targeted by random shit that requires us to move wrecks our setting up/burst too. [.....] You could say that disc is not meant to shine in hc environment, but we are being judged initially in this environment.
    This raises another problem. How do we train ? Spec is supposed to be hard. It plays very differently in 5 men content and raid. How are we supposed to get experience ? If nm/hc aren't damaging enough for us to do significant healing because there isn't enough significant damage, How am I to know I did my job correctly and the 75% overhealing will translate in good healing when we reach mythic ?

I have no idea how to compare the precise value of DPS against HPS - it's too complex a consideration. Saying HPS and DPS are the same value is just a guess, an estimate.
    Perhaps a fairer comparison would be to say Disc does X% of Healing required for the down and Y% of the Damage. Then we could compare it to the x% Healing of average healer and y% Damage of average DPS+Tank.
    Sadly, I think this would not look very good. Even if every bit counts during progress, Disc damage scales badly and is shrinking to oblivion since the opening of EN.

The thing is that there are simply to many artificial hoops to jump through for discipline.

The UI frankly does not properly support a hybrid spec.
    While it is possible to play discipline with the heavy use of @mouseover, no spec should have to use macros to play "nice".

The stacking mana costs for plea punish the player to an insane degree.
    Mana is an issue for discipline. Especially since plea punishes via mana costs.
    Imagine the outcry if druids had the same mechanic with rejuvenation. The forums would go to nuclear meltdown.
    My personal experience is that mana is tight even with 2 mana trinkets.

A lot of the spells in the discipline arsenal are op as hell if all the stars align. But that basically never happens.

Theoretical possible DPS/HPS is more than ok. Simply adding them is not.
    A better way to compare would be (DPS/RDPS)+(HPS/RHPS)

Look at the ratings for Tichondrius for example.
    Thanks to the combat mechanics mana is a non issue. You more or less have infinite mana.
    You have constant ticking damage and a lot of burst.
    In theory that is the perfect encounter for discipline.
    0-40th percentile: discipline is last place
    50-80th percentile: second to last
    90-99th percentile: 3/2 place
    MAX: First place + 200k dps

If you look at the other fights discipline is always in the lower places. At best somewhere in the middle.
    The insane part is that most players that are uploading logs to warcraftlogs can be considered to be the better playing part of the community.
    Casual players quite frankly don't use warcraftlogs. And realistically casual players can't handle discipline.

The loot pool for discipline is disgusting. Damage trinkets drop regularly but they are in an unusable state, even after the buff they got.
    Last edited by Geschan; 2017-01-30 at 11:13 AM. Reason: DPS/HPS comparison added

Well, actually, no, it's not that easy. Maybe it is for top organized guilds and top disc priests. But I'm a pretty mediocre player and play in pretty mediocre semi-casual guild. I know all the disc theory, I could probably give lectures or write essays. But my reflexes and game awareness are not the best, and there is not much I can do about it, apart from wiping 100 times on same boss. So every time we distribute the healing CDs, I'm a bit reluctant to assign myself, because I'm scared to fuck up my ramp up, because I missed the mechanics timer and started casting too late (or too early), or had to run away and break the cast or something else. I just sort of stay behind the scenes try to optimise myself until I feel sure enough in myself to start being vocal. I probably should have rerolled to some different healer, because I can't deliver 100% as disc in raid, but I'm too attached to my character and spec, and I'm doing pretty good in M+, and my healing numbers are on par with my co-healers