Deleted

Question Moonkin: Boss Damage or Trash Damage?!

Hello,

Currently I am struggling with the problem, that I can do good damage at myth+ dungeon/raid bosses OR at trash.
    Depending on the equipment, second stats and the related talents, which push single or multi target casting, I find no way to reach a damage level comparable to other damage classes (chars witn comparable level) for bosses and trash.

The only way seems to be to change equipment on the fly during myth+ dungeon runs (which is really stress) or equipment and talents during a raid (what becomes expensive, because it requires a book per change).

Any idea how to solve this?

Thx and regards

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, thats the way Boomkins are atm - Talents force us into either strong ST, but weak AoE, or strong AoE, but weak ST. If you don't want to spend the gold to respec in Raids, I would just look at what fights you will be progressing on, and then spec according to those fights and not worry bout trash or farm fights.

For Mythic runs, depends on comp - If your comp has strong ST and weak AoE, spec AoE, and vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

You can use Dreamwalk while in Emerald dreamway/class hall to return to the zone you last Dreamwalked from. It has a 1min CD, but it's feasible to do during trash or on progression nights when people are talking. For farm, then it doesn't matter. I just keep my spec catering to the harder mechanics to deal with.

In Mythic+ is depends on which affixes, group comp and what dungeon you're doing, but generally speaking you can focus on an AoE centric build and be ok. If your group is AoE heavy then just swap SotF for Incarnation. Most people in higher M+ are going to understand that your damage is going to dip on single target fights, and really trash damage is generally more effective in saving time in M+.

Memekin is really strong in M+ (SotF, Shooting Stars, Stellar Drift). Your trash damage is among the best in the game and you get decent boss damage maintaining Stellar Empowerment on bosses. As a general rule you only want enough boss damage to make the fights manageable. I wouldn't severely cripple your trash damage for a little more boss damage as the time / reward just isn't there.

Recently tomes/codexes cost was reduced significantly, tome basically costs 1 rare pigment. Depending on realm it can be as low as 20 gold. Even if you must use 10 tomes per raid time it won't cost you arm and leg anymore.

Switching gearsets is free and can be macroed, using command /equipset Name of Set. You can use bit more complicated version to switch between sets using one button, like this: /equipset [worn:Shirt] ST_Set;AoE_Set, for this one to work you have any shirt to be equipped in AoE gearset.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have the same problem, and i find a decent balance by taking SL/SotF/BotA/SD

I find BotA to give me way more ST dps, by losing a 3% damage from SS.
    IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizenberg View Post
    Memekin is really strong in M+ (SotF, Shooting Stars, Stellar Drift). Your trash damage is among the best in the game and you get decent boss damage maintaining Stellar Empowerment on bosses. As a general rule you only want enough boss damage to make the fights manageable. I wouldn't severely cripple your trash damage for a little more boss damage as the time / reward just isn't there.
    you can press starsurge on bosses for even greater damage.
    Starlord, Sotf,SS,SD is a fine build for any mythic+ speed run.
    If you want to push higher tyrannicals i would use incarn instead of sotf, and bota instead of SS, but keep SD for trash damage

Since i have the ring i use Incarnation in Mythic+

The trash dmg shouldnt be that much lower and you can do better boss dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerxyrall View Post

I also have the ring but I use SotF in M+. I don't have hard numbers, but it's way easier to stack Starfalls and keep enough AP for the next pack when it costs 40 vs 60 AP.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerxyrall View Post

the ring affects CA cooldown too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mewseph View Post
    You can use Dreamwalk while in Emerald dreamway/class hall to return to the zone you last Dreamwalked from. It has a 1min CD, but it's feasible to do during trash or on progression nights when people are talking.
    I did not know this, so thanks for that. Will definitely be using this from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by wing5wong View Post
    you can press starsurge on bosses for even greater damage.
    Starlord, Sotf,SS,SD is a fine build for any mythic+ speed run.
    If you want to push higher tyrannicals i would use incarn instead of sotf, and bota instead of SS, but keep SD for trash damage
    This would be the best answer to your issue. I am running Starlord, Sotf,SS,SD on many bosses in NH because it's the best combination of single target damage with starlord when a boss is alone with really good cleave when adds spawn with starfall. In mythic+ it's either FoN or Starlord depending on how long a boss would last to see if using Starsurge would be worth or having more FoN would be better. I would not even take BoTA for tyrannical because SS does almost as good in single target already.

boomies feel really strong in m+ right now, without knowing what spec you're running and what your gear is like im having to assuming you might be running the wrong talents/misuing CDs or just arent very geared. running starlord/incarn/shooting stars/stellar drift i feel really strong. both on boss and trash damage. (i have prydaz/sephuzes, so trash tier legendaries)
    Last edited by goldfishie; 2017-01-23 at 09:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liandryl View Post
    This would be the best answer to your issue. I am running Starlord, Sotf,SS,SD on many bosses in NH because it's the best combination of single target damage with starlord when a boss is alone with really good cleave when adds spawn with starfall. In mythic+ it's either FoN or Starlord depending on how long a boss would last to see if using Starsurge would be worth or having more FoN would be better. I would not even take BoTA for tyrannical because SS does almost as good in single target already.
    I am running the same talents
    Now, i got - beside others - a 890 version of the "Obelisk of Void" and after endless dungeon grinding the "Emerald Dreamcatcher" head as well as the "Impeccable Fel Esscence" ring (no, it was not luck, it was blood, sweat and tears :-)).

For my understanding, this is a perfect combination for boss fighting, but not necessarily for trash combat due to the strong starsurge buff of the helmet. Otehrwise, if I would not use the helmet, I would loose too much first stat value.

So the "trash talent" approach is not really compatible to the equipment. But I prefer the talents as described above as well, because the damage is extraordinary on trash.

So even if others may wish, to have the bis items, I would feel much better with a more flexible way of creating sets for the different damage mechanics within dungeons and raids. I would never leave a raid to change my talents and save the costs for a book. I like to play the owl and I do not like to end in a equipment and talent management simulation with a strong taste of work instead of MMO fun.

"no, it was not luck, it was blood, sweat and tears :-)"

Hm...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizenberg View Post
    Memekin
    Stop it. /10char

Yeah, unless you've been running 100's of mythics each day since exp I still say it's luck getting both legendaries.

I only run memespec in mythic + It's all about trash anyway to get within time limit. Having said that I dont do much mythic + below 10 anymore as I am 1 level away from 54

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Closetoelefen View Post
    I am running the same talents
    Now, i got - beside others - a 890 version of the "Obelisk of Void" and after endless dungeon grinding the "Emerald Dreamcatcher" head as well as the "Impeccable Fel Esscence" ring (no, it was not luck, it was blood, sweat and tears :-)).

For my understanding, this is a perfect combination for boss fighting, but not necessarily for trash combat due to the strong starsurge buff of the helmet. Otehrwise, if I would not use the helmet, I would loose too much first stat value.

So the "trash talent" approach is not really compatible to the equipment. But I prefer the talents as described above as well, because the damage is extraordinary on trash.

So even if others may wish, to have the bis items, I would feel much better with a more flexible way of creating sets for the different damage mechanics within dungeons and raids. I would never leave a raid to change my talents and save the costs for a book. I like to play the owl and I do not like to end in a equipment and talent management simulation with a strong taste of work instead of MMO fun.
    Yes it was luck, I have the 5 worst ones. Eko,sephuz,prydaz,boots,belt.... I have spent insane amount on hc's and mythic + Not to mention full clears of the raids everyweek (including all mythic bosses).

For m+ it completely depends on your group composition (and also partially on the weekly affixes). Be lucky that you can easily switch with those strong results.

For example if you are running with an assa rogue you might want to spec into AE, running with a bm hunter you might want to spec into ST.